Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default why can`t they hurry up with the noro vaccine?

I`ve read so many time on this site about members who have gone years, even decades without vting, then catch noro & completely lose control & do the thing that we all dread. Noro is the emetophobics ultimate enemy. They have a jab to prevent flu, so why can`t the experts bring out a noro vaccine? I think part of it is that most doctors couldn`t care less about vting, & have no sympathy with people who want to avoid it at all costs, they just think wer`e being silly for being scared of it. If we could do away with noro, it would be a great weight of my mind, & the wintertime would`nt be fraught with anxiety as it is now.

Default Re: why can`t they hurry up with the noro vaccine?

The vaccine wont prevent it. It will only prevent severe symptoms. Last i heard were at least 2-3 years away from a vaccine.

The vaccine is only about half effective. It wouldn't stop me from worrying. Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Right now it may only be half effective, but they are in the process right now to improve those statistics. They've only tested the vaccine through the intranasal route. It was effective, but not as effective as they hoped. So, now they are going to start clinical trials intramuscular (through a shot in the arm). They are hoping for much better results. They are working hard to get this vaccine out, and they have certain standards they need to meet. I think once it is all fine tuned the results will be much better and it will ease a lot of us emets anxiety. There is also another company out there working on one through tobacco plants, so at least there are other possibilities! Just gives us more hope!

It would litterally make my life so much easier i would get a vaccine every day if i had to, to not get it... it would put my mindd at ease. I want to have this entire website E-mail something to the people that are coming up with it.. i mean maybe a little motivation and maybe even some fundraising.. im willing to try anything to speed up the process..! Think that would help?!?! We can make a difference!

No, Danix, you don't want to volunteer for the study. At present they are giving the vaccine to people and then exposing them to noro. They are assessing how many of them puke, and how much, and etc. You don't want to be part of that. Anyway, if they gave the vaccine to emets it would only exaggerate the success rate of the vaccine because a lot of us wouldn't puke and the vaccine would be credited for that.
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

Good point gumdropper :/ im just despreate for this thing to speed up!

[QUOTE=hairyfairy;411030 Noro is the emetophobics ultimate enemy.[/QUOTE]
    I know how you feel. But really, an emet's worst enemy is the fear. I know because now that I know how to avoid getting the norovirus (it's not airborn, so as long as I am not near someone who gets sick from the virus, or share a toilet with them, or share food and dishes, and keep my hands clean, I won't get the virus. The problem is, I discovered new v* fears. My mom got very ill from gallstones years ago. She couldn't keep anything down. There was a new fear for me. I could get that and v* too. I realized that many diseases and medications can possibly make you nauseous or v*, not just something that was contagious. You see what I mean? My fear would always find a way to make me scared. So I started realizing that the FEAR was the problem, not the v*.

I won't be getting this vaccine when it does come out. I found the side effects I got from my flu shot were worse than when I actually had Influenza A. I really don't want to mess with Noro side effects. I'm fine with taking my chances

You may find these links helpful!

Influenza kills people, noro doesn't, that's why they've come out with a flu vaccine more speedily than one for noro. The noro vaccine is on it's way but it has to go through extensive trials before hand which is why it's taking a while.

I don't know about anybody else but I'm too scared to get any vaccine for fear of nausea/vomiting being a side-effect, so even if they came out with the noro vaccine tomorrow, I wouldn't... couldn't... get it. Plus, it's not just noro that can make me vomit. So, yeah, I'll be immunized against that, but what about the other million reasons I might puke? Now, if they came up with a vaccine against vomiting in general, then I might be able to suck it up and get it!!

I agree it the fear we need to deal, when i vomit , it really wasn't that bad, and I know I can deal with it, it's the anxiety I need to deal with, anyway how many people would take the vaccine, because i an sure one of sideeffect could be that you vomited, that would put most emet off, i am sure.

It won't be a cure for emetophobia but it probably would at least cut our chances of vomiting in half, assuming we're otherwise careful. There's no doubt I'd get it. The only vaccine I ever had a problem with was the DTP vaccine when I was a kid (pain) and I did pass out one year right after the flu vaccine but that was from anxiety I'm sure, since I'm not allergic to any components of it and nothing worse followed.

I agree.. the vaccine will help eliminate the odds of V*ing in half.. it would SO be worth it.. There's side effects to EVERYTHING even advil and pepto... but im willing to take those chances if it will help me not get the SV for a season!

Quote Originally Posted by Elski View Post
    Influenza kills people, noro doesn't, that's why they've come out with a flu vaccine more speedily than one for noro. The noro vaccine is on it's way but it has to go through extensive trials before hand which is why it's taking a while.
    Actually noro has killed people especially very young children and the elderly (mostly from dehydration). That is one of the reasons they are now coming out with a vaccine. For, me my emet blew out of control when my youngest got his first sv and then my husband caught it. I saw how easily passed from one person to the next and how ill they were. I was completely out of control with anxiety. My hands were raw from washing them, and I lost 5lbs in 2 days from just being so anxious from catching it. I couldn't relax, and it was pure misery. I don't know what was worse the waiting to see if I was going to get it or just getting it without warning and being done! So, for me just knowing my chances of catching something that makes someone so ill were reduced that is good enough for me! But, hey we all might have the same fear in theory but in different ways.

Those of you who would take the noro vaccine, would you if there's a good chance a side-effect would be vomiting? Because side-effects of the flu vaccine are flu-like symptoms, and every other vaccine children get usually gives them a bit of fever and they're "fussy" for a day or two because vaccines typically give you a mild version of what you're being immunized for.

Oh goodness...that's a really hard question. I wouldn't really know what to say to that. But right after I had my flu vaccine just last year, I had ZERO side effects (at least that I'm aware of). In fact, I usually don't ever get side effects from vaccines. Passed out that one time from the tb test, though (a LOT of factors contributed to that, though). I guess part of it is that I hardly ever get sick, and when I do, it never usually lasts for very long. I'd say on average all of the s*v*s I've ever had lasted for less than 6 hours (except for the rota, which I was way too young to even remember). But anyway, that's my experience. It's really different for everyone, so I'm not trying to discourage any of you. That's just how vaccines work for me.
    “Never, ever, let anyone tell you what you can and can’t do. Prove the cynics wrong. Pity them for they have no imagination. The sky’s the limit. Your sky. Your limit.”
    -Tom Hiddleston

Wow, side effects? I don't have none. Before going to Europe this year I had to take two. My mom took 5 and didn't have any side effects (including hepatitis and tetanus, two that usually have side effects, her arm hurted for a few days and that was all) so I believe I wouldn't have side effects and YES, I'd take the noro vaccine. I had the Influenza vaccine in 2009 and zero side effects too. I don't even have flu vaccines because I just won't get it.

Another reason (this word exists?) I would have the noro vaccine is that I've had all the 4 rotavirus (at least three, I probably don't remember the fourth one) so I'm free of them. I've never heard of noro before coming to this forum, I think it hasn't came to South America or it has another name.

My young mind would suggest creating a petition and try to get a good number of names, but petitions don't help at all. They would just ignore it.

Anyway, that was my opinion.
    Tick tock, time is passing and so is your life. Enjoy it while you can.

...I would really hate to be part of the group of people who are volunteering for these tests......

I don't think there's any chance of the noro vaccine causing v*/d* symptoms as it's not comprised of any particles that could cause infection. Remember v*/d* is only the 'secondary' immune response to noro; it's not that that makes you 'better', it's the whole white blood cell immune response that actually rids your body of it. So I suppose it's a case of exposing the immune system to something that 'looks' similar. (Sorry, not a scientist...clearly!) xxx

I would get it everyday lol...unless it has a possible vomiting side effect..then i would not.

Well, the noro vaccine is pretty difficult to create because naturally we don't develop a long-lasting immunity to it even when we catch it. So they probably have several hurdles on how to make it very potent so the immunity lasts for a reasonable time, and there's also the mutation factor if it changes often like the flu or colds. It's not that scientists don't care about v*, doctors and researchers know it's something people would like to have and they even started by making one for rotavirus because it was a cause of child death and easier to produce. I don't think it's just ill will from their part, science isn't as easy as it sounds in theory, especially when dealing with live organisms.

Also, the vaccine would most likely not cause d* or v* because these are not side effects of vaccination. It's not "the flu vaccine causes flu symptoms so a vaccine against something else will cause symptoms of that disease". It's just that the side effects of starting up an immune response (fever, malaise, fatigue, irritated mucosa) are similar to the flu, but they're pretty much the same for all vaccines. So I don't see how the noro vaccine could cause v* and d* as a side effect. Especially considering that part of the mechanism behind noro illness is that the lining of the intestines and stomach becomes irritated by viruses that infect cells and duplicate there and when the virus infected cells burst well... that whole situation causes the digestive system to contract to expel the contents and the released viruses. If the immune system is exposed to noro outside the digestive system, it will just attempt to kill it with antibodies.

And yeah, I'd definitely take the vaccine if it was offered. My main fear in emet is catching noro or another sv*. This is what cripples me the most, because to me it is way more "violent" than any other cause of v* (including pregnancy). So the vaccine would be extremely worth it for me.

I don't think I would bother taking it. I don't get flu shots either. But if it was offered, I could only hope that it would diminish the amount of noro cases so that outbreaks would be far less prevalent and less severe. People who go on cruise ships could take the vaccine as well. That should help a lot.

Gastrointestinal symptoms were not a side-effect from it, just the usual aches and pains, headaches, etc. This vaccine does not use any actual norovirus, it uses virus-like particles (a surrogate) to trigger an immune response. If you get the full-blown flu immediately after getting the vaccine, that means you just coincidentally happened to catch the flu at the same time and just had bad timing. It is not possible for the flu vaccine to cause the flu, the virus is completely inactivated. The low-grade fever and such isn't actually caused by the flu, it's actually caused by the irritant they put into the vaccine to trigger your immune system.

This vaccine isn't taking more time than the flu, it just has to go through the same trials. Last I heard it was moving at a normal rate through the trials and they're just waiting on construction of a new building. A very promising sign is that a larger pharma company just bought the vaccine, which means so far it's looking very effective.

I'm excited for it not as much for myself but so that my partner can take it. He's VERY prone to stomach bugs. Generally I don't worry about it unless I'm faced directly with catching it, and when he has it is the worst time of my life. So if I could stop him from getting sick, my anxiety would be so so so much less.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniix3333 View Post
    It would litterally make my life so much easier i would get a vaccine every day if i had to, to not get it... it would put my mindd at ease. I want to have this entire website E-mail something to the people that are coming up with it.. i mean maybe a little motivation and maybe even some fundraising.. im willing to try anything to speed up the process..! Think that would help?!?! We can make a difference!
    Actually, we emets are a small percentage of who would benefit from having a noro vaccine available. The entire cruise industry, day care, senior care, the military... any industry that has people living in close quarters can be negatively (fiscally) impacted by the noro virus. Most of the articles I read about the vaccine cites these industries as the primary motivation for its development. We're just the happy recipients!

It would relieve a lot of my anxiety. I know there are other ways to get sick... but the noro is the biggest threat to me. I have a five year old in public school and I worry every day that he'll catch a stomach bug. If we got the vaccine, I wouldn't have to worry about that anymore. Food poisoning, motion-sickness, drug reactions... none of that is contagious. And it's all kind of controllable.

It can't come along fast enough as far as I'm concerned!

- M

The military has been one of the top funders of the vaccine. Yay US government?

Haha! I know, right? Yaaay, US Army!

Mostly the Navy....can you imagine a noro outbreak on a sub where EVERYONE is in tight quarters, they are all mission critical and all at risk for debilitating SV symptoms? Yeah that's why.

Noro is my number one enemy, I'd take the vaccine in an instant if it was available, and I'm normally really cautious about vaccines.

The last vaccination I had in school I v*, but I think that was only because I got SO worked up over it. (I hate needles SO much!) If I v* once after having this vaccination it wouldn't bother me. I would rather v* once than v* 50 times with the sv*!