Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Survived Emet Related Anixety Pretty Successfully!

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to talk to you all about a recent experience I had where I overcame my phobia/anxiety and didn't let it get the best of me. I went to the WTC Memorial in Manhattan (New York) with a few members of my family. I live in one of the other boroughs and I rarely get out my home and because of that I think I've started to develop agoraphobia and social anxiety etc. I try not to eat right before or after I leave the house so as to not feel sick when I'm out and about. It was seriously hot, like somewhere in the 90s possibly and I ate before I left (because my mom forced me) and ate and drank some pizza and coke respectively. I think I overate and I felt like I was seriously going to v*. I had to sit for a while and try doing the 5-2-5 breathing method (that I learned about that day or the day before) to try and control your breathing. I could tell I was having a panic attack, I felt faint, nauseous, was kind of shaking, and I was breathing weird. I managed to wait it out and then my family and I bolted for the subway. Still felt sick while I went to the subway but things started to get better after I got on/was getting on the train.

Now that I remember, I also had a panic attack (or a limited panic attack) the night before when I was found out we where going and was confirming our passes. I had to sit for 2 hours I think and try to get my mind off it to finally get back under control (somewhat).

I was tired (and still am) of letting my anxieties get the best of me so I just fought back for once instead of avoiding those situations. Besides that negativity it was a fun experience. I remember feeling jealous when I another member here (sorry forgot your name and too lazy to find it ) had a triumph but I thought it's because I longed for my own triumphs. This just shows that we can overcome our fears. Thanks for reading! (P.S. I was going to post this in the triumphs forum but it seems it's rarely posted in so I just put it here.)
    Last edited by silent; 07-07-2012 at 11:21 PM.

Default Re: Survived Emet Related Anixety Pretty Successfully!

Just bumping this up to get some responses.

Default Re: Survived Emet Related Anixety Pretty Successfully!

congrats~ now just keep building on your first step.....you made it through...now keep on pushing yourself to do more everyday.....

i love nyc and jealous that you live there.....go out and enjoy it
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.