Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Codes

Post Codes

Ok, I'm new here and blah blah blah but I think this is gonna help every new soul in this forum.

Everyone here (except one or two brave people) don't like writing certain words, the most common being the code v*. Buuuuuuuut there are some difficult codes to who is new here, such as SV, and they are even harder to non-English speakers (me!).

What I want? A list, showing the codes and meanings. Writing isn't necessary. To learn the word emetophobia, for example, I googled the following phrase: "Medo de vo"
    what would mean "Fear of vo..." and google showed me the rest of the word. I copied it and ready!

If it sounds stupid, forgive me, but I think it's a good idea. Write here all the codes you know and lets make understanding the forum easier to newbies.
    Last edited by Ana Bellini; 07-10-2012 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Grammar mistakes

Default Re: Codes

fp = food poisoning
    sv = stomach virus
    sb = stomach bug, Santa Barbara
    noro = norovirus
    d* = diarrhea
    n* = nausea, nauseated
    v* = vomit, vomiting, vomited
    s* = sick
    tu = threw up, throw up, throwing up
    p* = puke, puked
    FAQ = Frequently Asked Questions: http://emetophobia.byethost15.com

I rarely or never use the abbreviations and there's no rule that anyone has to. It can be empowering for an emet to spell out the words.

Doug
    Last edited by gumdropper1; 07-11-2012 at 07:26 PM.
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S*=sick
    I'm not necessarily afraid of the words, but I do appreciate there are others that don't pike to see them. Plus I can get lazy
    You made a great point, Ana. I'm sure there are others that will find the codes useful, too

It's tricky, i can see how if you are reallly bad with your emet at the moment then even seeing the words can freak you out, just like some people with a phobia of spiders can't even bear to see a photo of one, but I do agree with Doug, I think it helps to try and write them out. I always write them in full, possibly with the exception sometimes of diarrhoea just because it's just a pain in the bum to spell, why such a long word? Why couldn't it be called "woosh" or something shorter and more appropriate?! x

Haha, I don't have a problem with the words in English, I easily write sick, nausea, virus and blah blah blah, but the word, oh, I'll write this, the word vomit and similar v words make me feel bad as it reminds me a lot of the word in Portuguese... Oh, it's not a taboo, I'm just afraid of writing this, well, vômito. Ugly word, isn't it?

It's easier to Doug, he hasn't... trown up in 36 years. I trew up two months ago.
    Tick tock, time is passing and so is your life. Enjoy it while you can.

As Doug mentioned though, there are no rules about using abbreviations or not. It's all personal preference! I will abbreviate only when the original poster did, out of respect for their thread. I think fear of the word increases the fear of the thing. Think Lord Voldemort from Harry Potter :P

You may find these links helpful!

Same here..I only abbreviate if the original poster does,just out of respect.

Quote Originally Posted by asianeko View Post
    As Doug mentioned though, there are no rules about using abbreviations or not. It's all personal preference! I will abbreviate only when the original poster did, out of respect for their thread. I think fear of the word increases the fear of the thing. Think Lord Voldemort from Harry Potter :P
    Bonnie, I love that quote! Go hermione!!

I tried doing the abbreviations out of respect to anyone who didn't like it, but I found myself becoming anxious when I DID have to type the words. So now I don't abbreviate. I'm not being disrespectful, I'm just afraid of enough things already, and I refuse to have a bunch of words being one of them. I do understand though, and a list could be helpful, because some people will just never type the word.

Come visit my history blog:

Quote Originally Posted by KaydeeJayde View Post
    Bonnie, I love that quote! Go hermione!!

I tried doing the abbreviations out of respect to anyone who didn't like it, but I found myself becoming anxious when I DID have to type the words. So now I don't abbreviate. I'm not being disrespectful, I'm just afraid of enough things already, and I refuse to have a bunch of words being one of them. I do understand though, and a list could be helpful, because some people will just never type the word.

I think somebody else used the analogy before me on these forums, but yeah I think it's an awesome one!

You may find these links helpful!

It's been thrown around a bit on here. I love it
    Come visit my history blog: