Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Newbie.. Someone tell me im not over reacting?!?

Hey Guys,

Im Chelsey im 22 years old and have been scared of vomiting since around 12/13 years old. I spent half of my school time in the nurses office scared i was going to Vomit (never actually did though). As im getting older its starting to affect my life more and more, for example I have a group of usual 22 year old friends who like to go clubbing and get drunk, i try to avoid alcohol excessively and have to constantly be told im boring because i dont drink (which angers me a great deal). Dont get me wrong i will drink a glass or two but I am very much aware of my limits, sometimes being unable to even finish my first glass.
    Being in social situations makes me more nervous than i can even explain, i think its the fear of not being in my own home that scares me. Im usually alot more calm if i have my car with me, knowing i can leave when needs be. Whereas if im picked up by a friend and i know im not in the situation to walk out i will ALWAYS feel ill. Eating in a restraunt, i will always again feel unwell.

I also have a huge issue with people being around me if i feel sick, to the point where i dont like being in the same house as someone, even my mum. I would rather sit in the garden so i couldnt be seen or heard if i felt like vomiting. I'm actually very rarely sick but the thought of it is the worst in the world to me, i shake VIOLENTLY all over if i do feel sick and will sleep on the bathroom floor rather than being away from the toilet/sink.

If i visit the cinema i demand an aisle seat, whether i have to sit at the front or not, I wouldnt dream of being stuck in the middle of a row and not being able to escape if felt like i needed to Vomit.

Im due to visit the doctor for the first time with regards to this on Friday, Ive always been made to feel a bit like im over reacting and it wasnt until reading alot online over the past few days that i realised things can actually be done about it.

Default Re: Newbie.. Someone tell me im not over reacting?!?

Don't worry, you're not over reacting Sounds way too familiar to me so it's the fobia that causes the way we act.
    Take care

Well yes of course you're over-reacting but so are the rest of us, that's why we have emetophobia. You sound exactly like me and I'm sure most people on this site, so you're definitely not alone. This is a real phobia, it's debilitating, and unfortunately not many people (professionals - doctors & therapists) don't really understand it or have even heard of it. But, a lot of people do find someone or something that helps them tremendously and they recover. So, start with your doctor like you're doing and go from there. Just don't give up!

Thanks for youre replies!! Nice to know i'm not the only one!!

Hello; welcome to the forum! I'm in the UK as well. I think it's great you're going to your doctor. There are definitely therapies that can help. As for your friends, I really don't think they should judge you for not drinking much alcohol. There are plenty of good reasons to avoid excess alcohol! Mind you if you do want to drink a couple of glasses of wine, don't let emet stop you. Drinking in moderation doesn't lead to v* generally xxx

First off, welcome to emetophobia.org! Please don't hesitate to ask anything that's on your mind - and if you need a friend (misery loves company, right) I'm right here

I guess overreacting is a part of being phobic, but I'm just like you as well.
    I carefully map out the exit at the movies and when I'm feeling sick I always stay away from people because I would feel shameful if I happened to do 'it' in front of someone.
    I've also never been drunk, and people tend to think I'm 'boring' because of it, which is stupid. People shouldn't judge others just because they choose to not get drunk. It's not like you DON'T drink at all, you just don't drink excessive amounts which will probably benefit you in the future anyway. Don't let those comments get to you - it is possible to have fun while staying sober!