Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Going on a trip full of germs, low quality food, and long car rides What should I do?

Recently my mom signed me up for some volunteer work by building houses in Tennessee. I really wish she would have asked me first, because I am so afraid to go. To get there, we will be taking a 12-15 hour car trip. I'm very afraid of carsickness, and I feel claustrophobic when I'm stuck in a car for so long. It's usually better if I have fun people to talk to and distract me, but no I have to share the car with a bunch of stuck-up church kids that hate me. -_- The place we're going is one of the worst areas in America, so I doubt that it will be very clean. Our meals will consist of stuff from cheap fast food restaurants in the area. I don't eat at fast food places any more after several instances of food poisoning, I just can't eat the stuff without feeling n*. Soooo, I won't be getting to eat very much...

I love the idea of working to help others, but I can't stop worrying about what might go wrong. I'm so stressed that my stomach keeps hurting, and I really don't want to feel like this on the car trip. Any suggestions for me so I can worry less?

Default Re: Going on a trip full of germs, low quality food, and long car rides What should I

Please reply quickly, my trip starts tomorrow!

Default Re: Going on a trip full of germs, low quality food, and long car rides What should I

I can understand your worries, but I don't think you will get s*. Just mind the hygiene and you will be fine!

Do you usually get carsick or are you just anxious about it? Try not to think to much, as that often makes things worse. If you don't like the people you're travelling with bring something to do along the way - a book to read or a phone so you can text/call your friends. Or maybe the church kids aren't as bad after all? Even if they don't like you and vice versa there should be something for you to talk about on such a long trip!

If you're worried about the food, play it safe. Order vegatarian meals instead of meat and seafood which is more likely to contain bacteria. You can also bring snacks from home if you're feeling extra paranoid.

Don't forget that by doing volunteer work you are an inspiration to many people. Try to think about the people you are helping, and just be watch what you touch/eat and I think it will be a great experience Good luck!

Where are you going in TN?

You'll be fine, if a bit bored. TN isn't filthy dirty. I moved here with my Mum, waaaaaay back in '89. Nashville followed by 2 years in Murfreesboro. Honestly, things are far more metropolitan than you would think. My sympathies on the Snotty Church Kids and fast food. Visit a Whole Foods market, or something! Make the best of it!