Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Questions from Maige about Fellow Emets

I'm curious about how many of other people with the same fear react to certain things, interact with particular things, and just how they go through day to day life with an extreme fear of becoming ill. So I do have some inquiries:
    1. When did this all start for you, or when did you realize you have this fear?
    2: How does everyone do with eating outside of the house?
    3. What does everyone try to do to keep themselves from having a panic attack?
    4. Does any particular weather - such as heat - spike the fear?

And I think that's it. They're mostly topics I find myself concerned in as well...especially that last part.

Default Re: Questions from Maige about Fellow Emets

As far as I know I've always been scared of v*. I don't think there was anything that set it off - I guess I was born with it.

2. How does everyone do with eating outside of the house?

I LOVE food, lol, so I don't have a problem eating outside whether it be at a friend's or a a restaurant/cafè. In fact I can't remember the last time I went out without eating. Obviously there are things I avoid - like street food - I won't touch that with a 10ft pole, and cold shellfish, especially in salads. But yeah, no problem there.

Most of my panic attacks happen on the train, and when I feel a panic attack coming I usually close my eyes and try to block out all sounds and sight, and just go completely into 'zen mode.' If I'm at the movies or somewhere else where there's a lot of people, or in a small room I will always locate the nearest exit and flee if I have to. For me it's comforting to know that there is a way out, as one of my major fears is v*ing in front of others.

No, personally I love hot weather! If I'm to hot I'll just find somewhere with an AC. Then again, it doesn't really get that hot in Norway anyway.

I didn't realize this fear had a name until Dec last year, but it became very apparent in my life when I was 7 (in 2nd grade). Not only did the anxiety begin then, but the habits & behaviors also (mints, stomach Meds, being afraid to go to bed- thought I would wake up in middle of night sick, trying to exert "control" over my life with excessive lists, etc, because I think I was so afraid and anxious and felt so OUT of control with all of that)
    I am NOT an adventurous eater at all. Would prefer not to eat out but have to sometimes -- never eat certain foods... Prefer everything else well done / VERY hot; sanitize like crazy-- like, wipe down salt shakers with wet ones. It's ridiculous, really, but I can't seem to stop?
    3. What does everyone try to do to keep themselves from having a panic attack? Mints, Zofran, Vistaril, peppermint gum, cold water, air in my face & on my stomach, always have to have " a way out"-- I also flap my hands ( they go numb when I panic sometimes) and walk around (pace!), talk to my husband about how I'm feeling
    4. Does any particular weather - such as heat - spike the fear? Yes!!! I get really hot when I'm panicking, so being hot outside (or with a sunburn like I have right now!) freaks me out & triggers panic.

I believe my emetophobia began when I had an anaphylactic reaction to peanuts. My face swelled up, and then I vomited before my throat swelled shut. I am pretty sure that I associate(d) vomit with nearly dying.

At my worst point (Which lasted perhaps 2 weeks before I went to therapy) I was scared to eat things other people had prepared. Now, I'm totally fine, I'll eat whatever as long as I like it

I play video games, read, watch TV, or play games. I also use calm breathing (link in my sig) to keep panic attacks away. It works AMAZING!

Nothing associated with weather makes it worse for me, however I do find that rain and thunderstorms help calm me when I'm nervous.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1.) It started when I was little but got super bad around 15 years old.
    2.) I don't. If I can't avoid it I will only eat a TINY bit.
    3.) Breathe deeply, think of my ex, wave my hands infront of my face like I am fanning myself
    4.) Heat makes me n* so it definietely spikes the fear! When I am heat for long periods of time I bring a bag of ice with me and it makes me feel secure.
    Tumblr :

Facebook :

Youtube :

~No matter where life takes me, find me with a smile.
    ~

That's funny you mention thunderstorms & rain calm you when you're nervous... They do me, too! I have decided it's because the outside matches my insides .

I think I've always had it, just realized it more and more as the years go by ...
    I'm not afraid of eating (unless I'm n*) but I stay away from cold dips & most finger foods at parties, BBQ's, etc. I also know (for the most part) what foods bother my IBS so I stay away from those as well...
    A lot of deep breathing and distraction is a MUST (play a game, take a walk), if it's really bad I kind of just sit down & I let myself panic, I give myself like 10-15 min to panic & once that time is up, I either feel better and/or I continue to use distractions & deep breathing. My therapist once told me that if you give into the panic it will pass quicker & I believe that to be true.
    When I'm hot I usually have no appetite which then scares me into thinking I'm coming down with something. Heat also makes me bloat which I hate. I can handle it for the most part though

It started when i was 4 years old and got worse as the years went on
    I never use to eat outside of my house but as the years got on i have got a bit better, i tend not to eat meat outside the house in case its not properly cooked. and i will never eat somewhere new i only eat at places i have been before and been fine afterwards.
    3. What does everyone try to do to keep themselves from having a panicattack?
    I only tend to have them when i am in a situation of someone being ill in my house but nothing helps when they do i have tried all the coping stuff and breathing exercises but nothing calms me down.
    No the weather doesn't tend to spike it

1. I can"t remember when it started exactly, but I think it was around third or fourth grade. Kids kept getting sick on the bus or at school and it started freaking me out.
    2. I eat out all the time. Many years ago, when my phobia was at its worst, I could not eat out at all but now I am fine with it.
    3. I try to reason with myself and tell myself that I am not allowed to panic and that I must remain in the situation and I will be fine. Sometimes that works and other times I need my Xanax!
    4. Weather does not affect my fear.

I'm not sure of the exact date, but I would have to say I was at least 7

I love going out to eat and one of my favorite things is trying new places (which is probably strange for an emet) but *knocks on wood* I've never had a bad experience.

Deep breaths, texting, coming on here to type/vent, distraction is my friend...mainly scrubs on dvd.

Not so much, though peak of the sv is winter, but it could be contracted ANYTIME unfortunately, so it all depends. Sometimes when its too warm though a person tends to feel kind nauseous, so I sometimes eat a little lighter in the summer.

1. 4 years ago
    2. 27th of August 2008.
    3. Cant stand it, it freaks the hell out of me
    4. I know its not the best method, but i pinch the back of my hand and focus on that instead.
    5. Not massivly but I prefer to eat less when its hot, just in case

I realized I had it when I was 11, but I'm not sure when it started. At least a couple years before that.

I am pretty much always nervous about it. I've been forcing myself to go to restaurants, and once I've been to one a few times, I'm fine. But a new one will always make me anxious again. I also don't eat food at cookouts or a friend's house, because I don't trust anyone to prepare things safely.

Mostly positive self-talk, I guess. Also deep breathing, meditation, and distraction (watching or reading something funny, doing word searches, etc.).

I would say it's temperature rather than weather. Being either too hot or too cold (whether inside or outside) makes me feel "sick" and that makes me anxious.
    emetophobia shmemetophobia! -