Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Default Get rid of tooth infection without antibiotics?

Hello,

This is my first post although I have been a member for some time. I have just been to the dentist and have an infection around one of my wisdom teeth. I was prescribed antibiotics but REALLY don't want to take them (due to possible side effects) so I was wondering, has anyone managed to get rid of an infection without antibiotics? Apart from salt water I don't know what to try.

Any advice appreciated, thank you,

Kelly.

Default Re: Get rid of tooth infection without antibiotics?

I honestly think the safest and quickest way to go is to take the antibiotics. Take them with some food, and you should be fine. I don't know many people who've suffered side effects with antibiotics when they've taken them as directed with food
    Come visit my history blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I had to take antibiotics for my strep throat. I only took one pill and threw the rest out. The strep healed on it's own (I did take alot of vitamins and eat very healthy). Now I know you can ask the doctor to have some antiemetics while taking the antibiotics, just lie and say they make you v* and you can't take them unless you got something for the n* which is what I have done before and WORKED GREAT.
    Tumblr :

Facebook :

Youtube :

~No matter where life takes me, find me with a smile.
    ~

Quote Originally Posted by Murder-my-soul View Post
    I had to take antibiotics for my strep throat. I only took one pill and threw the rest out. The strep healed on it's own (I did take alot of vitamins and eat very healthy). Now I know you can ask the doctor to have some antiemetics while taking the antibiotics, just lie and say they make you v* and you can't take them unless you got something for the n* which is what I have done before and WORKED GREAT.
    I know that it might be hard, but please don't lie to your doctor. Tell them the truth and they might be able to offer more solutions and help you out with your fear. That's what they're there for. Instead of telling them that antibiotics make you vomit, tell them that you're afraid they'll make you vomit. Doctors don't want you to feel anxiety, so chances are they'll give you some until they can help you with your anxiety
    Come visit my history blog:

I'd take the antibiotics. But once you start you can't stop or the infection could come back much stronger than before. Antibiotics have never made me get sick and I've taken some nasty ones before.

You should be fine. I just had sinus surgery and was prescribed a very high dose of antibiotics I just eat and drink lots of water with then. The pharmacist told my hubby the least chance of nausea is drinking lots and lots of water it helps to distribute the meds through your body rather then it sitting in your stomach.

Ive taken antibiotics for a dental infection that caused an abscess. The pain of that made sure I took them all as directed. Ive taken many many different kinds of antibiotics over the years and only 1 kind ever made me feel n* but I didnt v* thankfully. Most recently I took a combination of 2 high dose antibiotics (3000mg 4 times a day for a week) for a h-pylori infection. If anything was going to cause problems that would have. My advice would be take them as directed & finish the course. Any infection if left untreated could spread throughout your body & make you feel dreadful.

I think it is important for you to take the antibiotics. I've never v* from them. If they are a variety you don't feel happy with it would be worth talking to your dentist (or perhaps GP?) to ask if you could have a type you're more familiar with. What kind of antibiotics are they? I think if you take them as directed you're very unlikely to have any problems. With some (I think metronidazole) you must avoid alcohol completely for the duration of the course (and perhaps 48 hours afterwards).

Generally antibiotics do not cause v*, and you could ask for a prescription of anti-emetics if you are frightened. I am sure your GP would understand. There are also anti-emetics available over the counter if you ask your pharmacist for a suitable one.

I really think it would be best for you to go ahead with the antibiotics. I don't actually think I know anyone who has v* from them. They can cause d* but again there are medications you could take to deal with that if it occurs. I know it's scary but I think it's best for your health if you do take them xxx

I know it's easier said than done, but you really NEED to take the meds. tooth infections are nothing to mess with and could lead to severe illnesses. I had a horrible infected wisdom tooth once and it started to spread down the back of my throat. The scary part is it literally spread like that overnight to the point where it was affecting my physical ability to swallow! I had to live off Ensure and antibiotics for over a week-yuck! I never once v'd from any of it, though and neither will you!!!
    Please reconsider taking your meds-I know it's scary but you can do it

I hate taking any meds period especially antibiotics. But I've never had any trouble with taking them when taken with food. I recommend taking them, clearing the infection, fixing the tooth and never looking back on it. Just be careful with the Z-Pack. It was on the news a while back because it was causing some heart problems

I'm on antibiotics now and I haven't felt sick. And the pills I take are quite strong, 300 mg, but nothing has apperared. Not now, not before. Take your antibiotics so the infection won't spread and cause some severe problems.. :S

Thank you all for the replies I know I should stop being a wimp and just take them! It's good to hear that you've had no problems.

Kelly

Which ones have they given you?

My dentist gave me amoxicillin 250mg antibiotics yesterday. Ive not had any side effects, so far so good. I am eating before taking a dose even though it doesnt say I have to just in case!

I agree with drinking a lot of water with the antibiotics. I've had a few tooth infections and been able to get rid of them by tripling up on my vitamins and flushing the area with coloidal silver. I'm not telling you not to take them, believe me, but I definitely have gotten rid of many infections in my mouth and elsewhere using it.