Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Exclamation Advice, please? Friend thinks she has food poisoning...!!

So this evening I'm scheduled to see one of my good friends who is leaving for the rest of the rest of the summer on Sunday (I'm gone Saturday and Sunday so it's really the last time I'd be able to see her for awhile.) She just texted me saying that she has been feeling like crap all day and thinks she got food poisoning last night. She said she didn't eat anything weird but maybe something "just wasn't fresh." I said if you don't feel well then by all means rest, and I don't want your germs if you're contagious (half-jokingly, and she has known about my phobia for like 10 years). She said she shouldn't have any germs and is planning on spending the afternoon in bed so she can "nap it off."

Emet-me is FREAKING THE HECK OUT because she's coming over to my house and we're supposed to eat food and play video or board games. I know that a lot of "food poisoning" is caused by things that actually are contagious to other people, i.e. norovirus. I'm just freaking out about her coming over to my house, using our bathroom, touching our doors and game pieces, etc etc (let's not even talk about sharing a pizza).

What should I do??? I really don't know how to handle this.

Default Re: Advice, please? Friend thinks she has food poisoning...!!

If this friend knows about your emet for about 10 years, she wouldn't visit you if she was sick. Maybe she's just nervous about the trip (it's a trip?), maybe she's getting a cold. I know you don't like that someone who may be sick touches your things, but if contracting something was so easy, everyone would die from a sickness.

Easy thing you can do: Instead of having her in your house, go to hers, or just go out. Go shopping, go to the cinema, I don't know. Share a pizza? You can buy two small pizzas. Wait, perhaps she fells better at night.
    Tick tock, time is passing and so is your life. Enjoy it while you can.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

redacted~~~~~
    Last edited by summerdazies; 07-19-2012 at 01:39 PM. Reason: internet being fussy

Thanks for your calm words of advice, Ana Bellini. It's difficult to try to "relocate" the get-together because I feel awkward "inviting myself over" to another person's house. And I have to work tomorrow, so going out is not feasible (also, another friend of ours is coming hopefully, and he hasn't got money to spend on stuff like mall/pizza). You're right that getting sick can't be that easy, but also it can't be that hard... noro doesn't kill people, it just makes 'em sick for awhile.

I know I know I'm catastrophising. Ugh emet.

Your idea did make me think we could hang out outside providing that the weather doesn't turn nasty.

I'll be online, even if I'm not here I'm always using my laptop. You can send me a PM or just tell me more about your fears here.
    Tick tock, time is passing and so is your life. Enjoy it while you can.