Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question Does emetophobia keep you from travelling?

Basically, does emetophobia keep you from travelling abroad out of fear of picking up something or does it not bother you?
    Are you scared of flying for those reasons?

Default Re: Does emetophobia keep you from travelling?

I get paranoid that someone will get sick near me. Not because I'm scared I'll catch something but because I can't handle others v* near me or within ear shot.

Yes and no, if that makes any sense.
    I hate flying but will do it in order to take a vacation. I take serious precautions againt motion sickness but am always paranoid and have had panic attacks mid-air. Lucklly my husband has always been able to calm me down before a foll melt down.
    That being said, I'm really funny about where we go or where to stay.
    For instance I would love to go to the Greek Isles or Ireland, but am afraid about the type of food that might be available. I have a terrible stomach on good days so I restrict myself to the most "safe" foods there are. Weve been to the Bahamas a few times and are going back to Jamaica this year. We stay at all inclusive resorts so it's pretty "Americanized" but they also feature local cuisine like jerk chicken and conch. It looks and smells amazing but I just can't get over my fear to allow myself to eat it. I sometimes feel like I'm cheating myself by not enjoying the local experiences more or venturing out of my comfort zone.
    I went to London once and think England is the most beautiful, fascinating country I've ever been too. I would love to go back but don't know if I could survive another 13 hour plane ride :\

Absolutely. My family is going to Tennessee next month but I am too scared to go because I have been having a lot of inner ear trouble this year with fluid trapped in my eustachian tubes that refuses to drain (ear doctors are utterly useless and have no clue how to help me) and it's causing dizziness and vertigo. I am scared that if I go down there, the elevation changes will enhance the dizziness and could lead to me getting nauseated. I also have Ulcerative Colitis which makes it even more difficult. I am pretty good at controlling nausea and not vomiting, but I still don't want to take the risk. My oldest sister went down there for a vacation and had no clue she had an absessed tooth until the elevation changes affected her and caused her to be very sick and vomiting the entire vacation. I most certainly don't want the same to happen to me (even if I don't have an absessed tooth that I am aware of).

I get pafranoid that I will get motion sickness even though I HAVE NEVER BEEN SICK FROM TRAVELLING. I don't like travelling but I have to sometimes and I panic but I get through it. My mom helps me alot.
    Tumblr :
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook :
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube :

~No matter where life takes me, find me with a smile.
    ~

What part of Tennessee is your family going to be traveling to poptartius? The reason I ask is because I live in Tennessee.

I am, I refuse to fly or go on a cruise, I absolutely hate travelling by bus and in a car if other people than me and my boyfriend or an adult (who I know won't get motionsick) is with me :S Little kids are the worst, they always eat too much sweets and then feel sick, but I don't like travelling with old people either..
    ~It Takes A Fool To Remain Sane~
    ~Stay Strong~

I'm from Finland,
    so English isn't my native language

Quote Originally Posted by worrier dad View Post
    What part of Tennessee is your family going to be traveling to poptartius? The reason I ask is because I live in Tennessee.
    Around the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love it down there and so badly want to go, but I have never experienced inner ear trouble like this before this year and now it has me totally paranoid that I will be "dancing with the devil" if I try to make the trip down there and would get sick.

I try not to let this get in the way of anything I do!

I always get nervous traveling, even if it's within the US (where I live) but I push myself. Was in Vegas a few months ago and was doing great but had 1 scary night of panic but I forced myself to get through it! I studied abroad when I was in college but my emet wasn't existent back then so it didn't bother me, I ate everything ... but I'm glad I didn't have emet back then because then I would have missed out.

You just have to talk back to your emet and say "you're not going to win!" ... I guess it depends on how severe your fear and anxiety is that determines what you will and will not let yourself do

I do get nervous travelling, and someone was almost sick near me on a plane to Europe last year, but I absolutely refuse to let my phobia keep me from seeing the world. I've seen some wonderful places that I'd never have seen if I listened to my phobia. Travelling is one of my favourite things to do, and I won't let a fear change that. Missa_Mae is right, sometimes you just have to look your emet in the face, and laugh at it, and tell yourself it's not going to win.
    Come visit my history blog: