Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Worrying news: phobic anxiety may increase risk of cancer

Hi everyone, I don't want to worry anyone but this news article has got me ironically, worrying about my worrying.

Here it is .....
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...SIX-YEARS.html

So the research suggests that phobic anxiety can cause cellular damage which may increase the risk of cancer, heart disease, dementia etc. Do you agree with this study? I didn't realise that serious anxiety could damage your long term health. The research says that 'phobic symptoms' trigger this cellular damage so does that mean anxiety attacks, paced heart rate, nausea, mental exhaustion? I like many of you have learnt to COPE with my anxiety rather than DESTROY the anxiety, but from this study my anxiety is worse and I now don't want to ACCEPT with coping, but rather END this phobic anxiety. I kind of feel stuck in a hole because I have finally learnt to cope but now I am not satisfied with just coping.

So what are your views?

Default Re: Worrying news: phobic anxiety increases risk of cancer

I don`t see how being phobic can increase the risk of cancer, I mean we do tend to be more careful with our health than so-called normal people, so I`d think that it would cut the risk.

So you could say that the damage from phobic anxiety is balanced by the careful health routines by emets.

Worrying as much as emets do really isn't good for us, no matter how healthy we might think keeping clean keeps us. That said, while there might be some truth in this, I don't think it's worth worrying yourself too much over. The only thing you CAN do is to try and work on your phobia and getting rid of it, that way, you'll be worrying less, so you'll have less to worry about
    Come visit my history blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Stress in general lowers one's immune system and makes you more susceptible to everything so I guess it stands to reason that if you suffer from the highest level of chronic anxiety (a phobia) then it probably can increase your risk of cancer. Another reason why we should really work on getting rid of this damn phobia!!! grrrrrrr

You are you can get Cancer doing anything these days, eat to much of certain food, your get Cancer, if don't eat enough of certain food you will get Cancer, My Aunty never smoked or drank booze, and she had lung cancer, bowel cancer and then lukemia, I think if gonna get Cancer you will do anyway, of course not smoking will reduce the risk of getting it, but there no point worrying about it, key factor, is just trying to get on with ya life, us emet have enough to worry about.

You are you can get Cancer doing anything these days, eat to much of certain food, your get Cancer, if don't eat enough of certain food you will get Cancer, My Aunty never smoked or drank booze, and she had lung cancer, bowel cancer and then lukemia, I think if gonna get Cancer you will do anyway, of course not smoking will reduce the risk of getting it, but there no point worrying about it, key factor, is just trying to get on with ya life, us emet have enough to worry about.

The Daily Mail always depresses me so much. They deliberately print very negative scare-stories and I feel this isn't really worth worrying about. It's certainly good to be able to relax though xxx

Default Re: Worrying news: phobic anxiety may increase risk of cancer

@cinque yes, I agree with you that DM reports scary health news which I always cannot help but read and get scared about!

cancer is one of my other fears as I've lost close family members to it and saw their long suffering so I'm kinda trying to prevent it from ever happening to me which I know deep down is impossible....which scares me to hell. Just got to hope for the best.

The Daily Mail is an awful newspaper, always full of negative stories which seem like they were written only to make the reader depressed, bitter, pessimistic, angry, hateful or anxious.

And they also have a reputation for claiming that everything can give you cancer! Watch this video from 1:50 and you'll see what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBT6OSr1TI

Deary, don't worry! These days everything can supposedly "cause cancer."
    Cellphones, wine, cigarettes, medications, fatty foods, mildew, chemicals in clothes, computers. If we were to stay away from everything that the so-called experts said cause cancer we would be holed up in our room the rest of our lives! No wait, the chemicals in drywall and washing powder can cause cancer too!

Really, you'll be fine

These days the only thing the news seems to be good for is to scare you because everything is a hazard and everything can kill you.