Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Default The Cure (In Progress)

Hello Everyone,

First I want to tell you that I feel everything you are going through. I am new to this forum, but I am not new to emetophobia. In fact, I believe I have had it all my life but it didn't start to really take effect until I was around 11 I'd say. I used to judge myself about this phobia and was afraid to tell people about it. Now I am bold and all my close friends and family members know what I go through (although I can't say they quite understand it). I am also a spiritual healer, teacher, and author. I make my #1 purpose about changing my inner world so I can come to awareness and higher consciousness. I can tell you that meditation is not the cure for emetophobia (like my first therapist tried to tell me) as I have been practicing for years. I have had a hard time dealing with this because even as my consciousness expands, this fear has plagued me for as long as I can remember.

Here is the good news.

I have been divinely guided to become a Holistic Counselor, one that specializes in anxiety and phobias. Not only that but I am determined to find the cure to this because although some phobias can and have been cured through Hypnotherapy and other different techniques, long standing/complicated phobias such as ours requires some extra care and consideration.

I have started a progress journal to see what works and what doesn't work. I have a few different kinds of therapy to try and I would like to share those here with you. Feel free to try these as well, start your own journal, and let me know what works for you.

This is what I have tried in the past:

• Mental Health Counseling (briefly)
    • Emotional Freedom Techniques (EFT)
    • Hypnotherapy (Two Different Occasions)
    • Reiki Healing (I am a practitioner)
    • Other energy healing techniques (QE, Qigong, etc)

What I have found:

• I didn't see any results with my counseling but that's because I gave up after two sessions when my therapist wouldn't listen to me
    • EFT is a great technique and I was starting to see results (feeling freer, less stuck) but it never changed my mind permanently
    • The last hypnotherapy session I had was very valuable. The phobia had a lot to do with abandonment issues (which were all in my head) and I saw results days after the sessions. The only problem was the OCD thoughts about getting sick were still there. I felt a weight lifted and much clearer but the thoughts came back to haunt me
    • Reiki healing has brought great peace into my life but I haven't yet seen any changes with the phobia (its a process)

What I am trying now:

I am spending 3-4 days a week trying Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. I'm actually learning this from a workbook. You can find it on Amazon.com. Its called The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Anxiety by William J. Knaus and Jon Carlson. After research, I found this to be the best book for phobias (there are other books like this specific to phobias but its mainly for heights/spiders and such and doesnt work for emetophobes)

I am also continuing my Reiki Treatments for 30 minutes every day. For those of you who don't know Reiki is an energy healing technique. It is well known to treat anxiety and depression as well as physical problems. It works with your energy field to clear out the negativity that we harbor without realizing.

2 days a week I am trying Systematic Desensitization. This technique is not the one that forces you to get sick, it is rather a gradual way to introduce your self to events you are afraid of and you don't do anything you cant handle.

I believe this phobia is difficult to cure with one technique. I feel it is multifaceted and we must work on the mind, body and spirit to release it once and for all.

Each week I will post my progress so you know what works and what doesn't. I invite you to leave comments and suggestions for this as well.

If we all work together I know we can come up with the solution, we can say goodbye to this fear for good

Default Re: The Cure (In Progress)

I am new to the forum as well, so it is nice to know I am not the only one. Welcome!

I like this post very much and will always read your updates, this is very interesting to me. Thank you. I hope we find some thing soon

Good luck with that.