Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Ativan and Phenergan question/advice?

Ok so I went to the Doctor a while back and he gave me 1mg Ativan and 25mg Promethazine. Through the time that I have been using these, I'm feeling the Ativan is 'working' more for my nausea than anything. I know now that it is anxiety related, but my fear is this, becoming addicted physically to the Ativan because in my head I'm connecting it to 'feeling better'. I am mentally addicted to the Phenergan, have been for years, which is why it's scaring me. Should I just flush them or continue taking them as needed like I do? I'm just scared that my OCD might convince me that I 'need' to take them when indeed I don't. Ugh so confusing! Any advice is appreciated super much! Thanks! <3 Amanda <3

Default Re: Ativan and Phenergan question/advice?

Yes, ativan can be addictive...However, if you need it, take it!! You could also take 1/2 as much and see how that works. Both ativan and phenergan have sedating effects. I was worried about getting addicted to it as well, but I only take .5 mg and it's such a small dose, and I only take it when necessary. Talk to your doc and honestly tell him what is worrying you about it. And try to take it only as needed...good luck.

I agree with andee. But, also wanted to say do NOT flush any drugs/medicine! You're better off throwing them away, but best to return to a pharmacy.

Well, i really feel like ativan is my miracle drug. That being said, im on 2mg , which is the highest dose, sometime is take 2 of those. I hate to admit, but i am addicted, never planned to be, but the feeling is so amazing, not having anxiety, or when im feeling sick(mostly from anxiety) it really helps. I used to only take it as needed basis, but find myself now takng it daily,I wanna feel that good feeling. my advice, be very careful, stay on the lowest dosage you can. And try not to stay on it for a long time, i wish i had known how addictive this pill would been a long time ago when i first started, now if i dont take it i get withdrawl symptoms. The best thing you can do is try to see someone, a therapist- All these medications just kinda put a null on things and dont solve the actual problem.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.

Thank you guys so much! <3