Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Differences in Season Effecting your Fear

Anyone else find that their anxiety peaks because of certain seasons?

Personally, from September to April-mid May I' the three months people associate with summer - I'm absolutely awful when it comes to these. Since the beginning of last month I've been hm absolutely fine. I can stroll out anywhere I so please, can go to someone's house if they don't make it into an oven to keep themselves warm, and am all over fine. Then comesaving to deal with constant shakes, body pains, and a lot of throat troubles that had lead to some violent coughing.
    Thankfully that hasn't kept with me, as I have yet to do said coughing since last month, but the feeling still comes around, and there are too many days where I sit in the house in front of a fan, shivering and feeling that raw sense of anxiety as I try to nibble on things to keep my seemingly constant hunger from peaking into unwanted territory.

For someone who has gotten good with handling their emetophobia, these months are the only downfall for me, merely with the humidity; and God it's becoming such an annoyance, even this month has already been speeding by, over before I'll know it.
    Apologies about how rant-ish this sounds.

How does everyone else deal with particular seasons? What do you do to try to deal, or actually deal, with these changes?

Default Re: Differences in Season Effecting your Fear

I just try to think back into the past where I was fine during certain seasons and that I will be fine now. My phobia peaks in hot weater because germs can multiply in heat and the heat makes me n*. Being too cold gets me scared because I think if I needed to escape and run outside for some reason I couldnt' because it would be too cold. Autumn is the best season for my phobia. Not humid, not cold but not hot.

When it's hot, I stay inside or I bring a little baggie with ice in it. I put it on my over heating body and nobody really thinks anything of it. In the cold, I just put on lots of layers and hope for the best!
    Tumblr :
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook :
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube :

~No matter where life takes me, find me with a smile.
    ~

It rarely gets really hot here in the UK - rarely above 28C (82F) so I don't often have to worry about heat much, but I'm still much happier in the winter. For some reason I feel safe in the cold and dark, perhaps because I associate being sick with being hot and I'm worried about the embarrassment of somebody seeing me throw up?

Two winters ago I ran outside during a panic attack and lay in the snow wearing only pyjamas and a t-shirt. The shock got rid of the panic pretty quick!

I do much better in the winter because a few yrs ago i had my first horrible anxiety attacks due to emet and it started in may and
    lasted all summer where I was scared evey second and so miserable and couldn't sleep or eat just cry but in the winter I feel great. It sucks because summer is my favorite season outside my phobia and I hate winter so i guess it evens out but I get so much more scared in the summer.all I can do is try to remind myself that the season didnt have to do with it the panic

I hate the winter, it`s freezing cold & the norovirus is everywhere!

I hate winter too, for the same reason. Although my kids have gotten sick in every month at some point, not just the winter ones.

I always get really confused with the whole times of the year people are more prominent to get sick. But no matter when you mention it there always seems to be a stomach bug going around

I ASSUME Winter (I live in Australia) is usually bad, However each time in the past when i was v* it was around Christmas/Summer time but having said that I think the last two times i was sick was one from heat stroke and the other was possibly food rated when I stayed at a frirnds house whos mum didn't cook very often cos they lived off takeaway. Should have ate bloody takeaeay that night ;(

So really I'm still confused about it all but I guess no matter what time of the year it is if I HEAR someone I hang with has been sick it triggers all the crap

Terrified through bad weather months- when people are indoors alot more and illness seems to never end. I know that it can happen all year long but I tend to relax ore in warmer months

More people seem to be sick here in the Winter. That doesn't really bother me too much though, I just really dislike being cold. I don't like it getting dark early, and I hate how everything in nature is basically dead. Most of the activities I like require warm weather as well. As you can probably guess, I'm a big fan of Summer. I love the long days, the hot weather, even the tourists who flood the area! I think being out of the house keeps my mind off most anxiety as well.

My hardest time is during the winter months. During the holidays is when my anxiety peaks. I won't go the the movies or shopping malls because of all the people and germs. When March/April comes around, I am fine through the summer.

Mine peaks in the spring. That's when I notice people getting sick the most, plus it's the anniversary of my last v* so naturally I get uneasy. February-April is the worst for me.

Mine gets awful in the fall and winter, mostly because I have a son in public school and there is always some kind of stomach bug going around that he brings home. I have to lock myself in the bedroom when he is sick. I am very lucky to have an understanding husband. I feel like a horrible person and horrible parent.... and that is what bothers me the most about this damn phobia.

Winter is the worst for me. I caught the bug in December so I'm really dreading it!

Winter, Spring and Fall....summertime doesn't seem to have as much going around.

I start getting panicky at the beginning of the school year (Sept) and it lasts until late spring. The only months I'm truly comfortable is summer, even though I know the dreaded stomach bug can strike at any time. My son had it at the end of February last year and I still have horrible flashbacks of it all. I work at a school, so I am extra careful. I practically wash my hands raw and use sanitizer all the time. I would bathe in it if I could lol. I drive my kids crazy reminding them to wash their hands and keep them away from their face. I freak out at any mention of a stomach ache or loose bowels. I panic every time one of my sons mentions that someone was absent from school or threw up in school. I even started a fire on my light switch from spraying lysol (yes Lysol III) and it sparked and caught on fire. I lysol light switches, door knobs, faucets, handles, soap dispensers, railings...everything I can think of, both at home and in my classroom. My kids and I go back to school this week, and I am already having such anxiety. I'm too ashamed to tell my fiance about how I feel, because I worry he's gonna think I'm crazy.

Yes, I am a basket case for much of the winter. All three of the pukes I remember happened in January, so that month is my worst.

This graph shows why it's rational to fear vomiting more in winter. This is based on a question from my web site about when people vomited last. Doug

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gumdropper1; 09-03-2012 at 10:49 PM.
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

The first time I ever caught noro was in November when I was in 3rd grade. I then caught it two more times within a few weeks. It was going around my small private school like wildfire and kids kept giving it back and forth to each other. So I always associate that time of year most strongly with it. Late September as well. Something about the shortening of the days and falling of the leaves can bring those feelings.