Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Crazy food poisoning phobia!

So I ate at my favorite restaurant in town.

I KNOW in my rational mind for a fact that place is squeaky clean and what I ate there is totally safe. There is zero reason to worry about any digestive malady other than the mild acid reflux im prone to at night.

But I wake up at 2am and my phobia just runs wild. Jumping at every little sensation anywhere near my stomach. Imagining crap that isn't there.

I can't tell what I'm actually feeling! My rational mind isn't calming my phobia down...

Default Re: Crazy food poisoning phobia!

do this happens everytime when you eat in the restourant?
    I must say i don't like eating in restourant.
    Just calm down. I know it doesn't help,but how many times have you eaten there and you were fine!
    Are you better now?
    "Worrying is a waste of time. It doesn't change anything, it just messes with your mind and steals your happines."

Quote Originally Posted by wanted View Post
    do this happens everytime when you eat in the restourant?
    I must say i don't like eating in restourant.
    Just calm down. I know it doesn't help,but how many times have you eaten there and you were fine!
    Are you better now?
    I am feeling a little better, thank you.

I get nervous nearly all the time after I eat at a restaurant. I don't want to avoid them though, my therapist said avoidance just fuels the fear. I just order vegetarian dishes...

When I get like this, I can't think straight at all and fret fret fret.

Could you possibly arrange to have a tour of the kitchen so you can see how they handle food and the cleanliness of the kitchen? It might help to put some of your fears at ease.

I'm the same way after I eat at a restaurant or takeout - basically anything I haven't prepared myself. Doesn't matter how clean the kitchen and restaurant is, doesn't matter how many times I've eaten there without incident, the not knowing is what drives me nuts so, like you, I imagine symptoms that aren't there and I wait on pins and needles until sufficient time has passed and I can feel safe again. It's insane!