Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Fear of v* at work

Hi everyone,
    Like many of you, I've been an emetophobe for as long as I can remember so for me, my fear ststems from not remembering what v* is like and therefore not being able to prepare myself for it. It's to the point where I cannot tell the difference between hunger, feeling full, and actual nausea.

My biggest fear is that I will be ill at work. I'm a nurse and work in a busy hospital, and I'm afraid that if I start to feel n* I wont be able to sneak off for a few minutes to calm myself down or if I actually do v* I won't know what to expect and will do it in front of my co workers. I was wondering if anyone else has similar issues with this fear at work and how you've handled it.

Default Re: Fear of v* at work

I do have similar issues at work. I work two jobs right after each other (recent college grad, what can ya do). One is in a large office of an important reality tv production company, and the other is in the office of a commercial post production (editing) company. I'm scared about the first job because I have to take an elevator to even get to the bathroom, and I'm scared about the second one because it is pretty busy so I don't often have time to go to the bathroom. I don't have a lot of advice, but I do have sympathy for you! You are not alone! Sometimes I carry a plastic bag in my purse, because if I ever couldn't make it to the bathroom at least I would have that. In CBT we're working on changing my thoughts. One thing you can try is distracting yourself when you start to worry about that. Try and stay in the present, and put the scary thought out of your mind. Then, busy yourself with something else to get your mind off of it!
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

Default Re: Fear of v* at work

I also have similar issues with that. About 6 months ago, I was feeling ill at work, drove home and was ill when i got home. I had caught a stomach bug at work and every day i freak out around the same time I wasn't feeling great. I'm getting better though but I know exactly how you feel!