Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Struggling to cope with this.

I've always been scared of being ill, but recently its gotten worse. My boyfriend was sick in my house a few months back and after that I wouldn't use my bathroom and I wouldn't go near him until I thought he was better. Ever since then I've constantly been thinking about being sick, I've stopped eating a lot of things such as meat or anything that I think will make me ill. This has had an effect on my weight, I'm 18 and 6 and a half stone, before I was just under 8 stone. Although I feel sick, I never am sick, but I panic like mad if I start to feel ill. Sometimes this phobia keeps me up all night cause I'm terrified if I go to sleep I'll be sick or wake up feeling sick. I've told my parents but they think it's all in my head and just some silly phase, but it's annoying now. I don't know what to do about it.

Default Re: Struggling to cope with this.

Well, coming to this site is one step toward dealing with this. I'm sorry you don't have much support from family, this is a hard thing to deal with even when people are understanding. First of all, I think if it is effecting your health, you should talk to your doctor about it, or find a therapist. Your Dr. might also know someone you could see. Also, remind yourself that practicing good hygiene, and keeping yourself healthy will go a long way.

Good luck, and you will always have support on this site!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Perhaps you can show your parents this website and maybe if they see how many people have this problem, they'll take it more seriously and get you the help you need? And maybe if you explain to them that emetophobia is an anxiety disorder just like OCD or claustrophobia or a fear of heights (things most people have heard of), they might realize that you do have a real problem and it's not just a phase?

I completely understand where you are coming from. for years my parents thought it was a teen phase, that was going to go away and I was just an anxious teen. As it started when i was 12. im now 19 nearly 20 and still have emet. support from your parents is important and they need to understand whats going on. and you need to see a doctor if its severely affecting your weight. Get some therapy I have had 5 therapists and found the best type of therapy is CBT. with use of anti anxiety meds it really helps. I began to not even be worried before bed time and would just go to sleep witch was amazing. I have learned that the more I avoid doing things in relation to the phobia the worse it gets, so try and push your self a tiny bit when it comes to stuff like not using the bathroom and avoiding your boyfriend. its very hard but very effective. hope things get better soon x

I've told my parents about this phobia and showed them that its real, but they just think I'm a hypochondriac. I also had a urine infection last month and when I went to the doctors I told him that I was stuggling with this phobia and told him how it was affecting me but he just ignored it and gave me antibiotics for my infection. I want to go to the doctors again and get help for this but I find it really hard to talk about, I just don't know where to start.