Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Family likely has Rotavirus :(

Hi everyone!

I'm new here and just found this place while endlessly googling ways to keep Rotavirus at bay. My DH and 15-year-old step daughter both woke up and began V at about 1:30 a.m. This continued until about 9 a.m. (DH only V twice, step daughter about 6 times). Initially I thought it was food poisoning since they both ate pepperoni pizza last night and none of the rest of the family did and we were fine, plus they got sick at almost exactly the same time. Unfortunately I contacted the people we ate dinner with and none of them are sick. So I am guessing it is not food poisoning after all. Then I find out that the little baby of the family we ate dinner with on Sunday and just had what the doctor diagnosed as Rotavirus (I don't think a stool sample was done, however, to verify that this is actually the strain). She is now 6 days out from it and still having diarrhea. So this leads me to believe this is what they have. They are both extremely nauseated and I spent the whole night listening to them V. I am exahusted and wearing myself out further trying to disinfect everything to keep myself and the baby (I have a 2-year-old) from getting it, too. I kissed my DH yesterday and we drank off the same cup, but then I did research and from what I can tell that shouldn't put me at risk. I am just freaking out because I SO don't want to get this virus. I used to be an emetophobe really, really bad when I was younger (really up until the last 2 years or so, since having a baby) but with this I feel all those old feelings coming back up. I'm afraid to eat or drink anything today for fear of getting sick. I don't know what the incubation period is for Rotavirus but I feel like I'm sitting on pins and needles just waiting to see if I catch it. This is exhausting and horrible and I guess I just needed some support and understanding. No one understands why I get so freaked out about V.

Heather

Default Re: Family likely has Rotavirus :(

Hi and welcome! I hope you don't get it. I have Viral Pharyngitis right now. It's the third day and there is a bit of n* involved and it sucks. Anyways, just disinfect and get Vitamin C into your system. I understand how freaked out you are. I hate it when the family gets sick! Let us know how you are.
    Tumblr :
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook :
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube :

~No matter where life takes me, find me with a smile.
    ~

Thank you for responding!

I had a bit of a freak out a little bit ago where I started to feel a bit gross in my stomach. But then I burped about 3 times and now I feel fine again

I have been downing Emergen-C as often as I can (without doing it too much) to try and keep this crap at bay. Ugh.

My hair stylist's son got rotavirus last year and was so sick he was hospitalized. Nobody else in the family got it, and they were even in his hospital room a lot. It is very possible you will be just fine.

Hey Heather.. Are they okay now?

Just to help reassure, rotavirus in general tends to give adults just d*, or more mild symptoms than children, who get the v*. So, if you do get it, chances are you won't v*.
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by spilled_milk View Post
    Just to help reassure, rotavirus in general tends to give adults just d*, or more mild symptoms than children, who get the v*. So, if you do get it, chances are you won't v*.
    Its rare for adults to get rotavirus. OP hasnt your kids been vaccinated for rota?

My son got it when he was 14 months old ( it was before the vaccine was given) and he had a positive test done while he was in the ER. Poor thing was so weak he could not sit up. The D last 8 - 10 days for him and my husband and I both got just a touch of it.... not N or V just gas and a bit of D ... doc said it was not common for an adult to get very sick from it. So chances are good that you won't get sick if you get it. hope everyone feels better quickly !