Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Relapse?

Default Relapse?

I have been doing fine dealing with emetophobia for the past few years while on medication however not everything has been great. Last night I could hear my friend vomit upstairs and he proceeded to vomit 4 or 5 more times during the night. We had shared a drink the other day and now I have cramps and am worried I might get sick. I also suffer from depression linked with anxiety and now all of the disappointments and tragedies from the last year are rushing back to me. My friend is fine now but I am worried I might be next. It's hard for me to deal with the concept of not knowing whether or not I will be sick and when I do get sick I get very upset because at a young age I got a terrible stomach flu that lasted a whole week and I don't know how I would deal with that again.

Default Re: Relapse?

Normally adults who have a stomach virus are not contagious before they start showing symptoms. You have to ingest fecal matter or vomit from an infected person in order to get stomach virus. I think you will be alright if you shared a drink with him days ago. My husband had a stomach virus this winter, and I kissed him goodnight about 3 hours before he was sick. I did not catch the virus from him that time.

Just keep up the good hygiene!!! Good Luck!!

Try not to let your previous experiences, and what you see in your eyes as "disappointments" (even though they are far from), get you down. It's ok to have relapses, and it's ok to have a moment of despair, but never, ever feel as if you are a disappointment to yourself. You have done so well to get this far, allow yourself a little stumble every now and again, in the knowledge that for the majority of the time you have been strong. Nothing or no one is perfect, particularly with such an aggressive phobia, please don't beat yourself up for being a human being

Chin up dear, everything will get better
    Everything will be alright in the end: If it is not alright, it is not the end.

Thanks everyone! As this was my first post, I wasn't expecting any replies but I sincerely appreciate that you took the time to help me out! I'm feeling better now and your kind words have encouraged me.
    Thanks and God bless!