Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question OT: Intergrating Adult Cats and New Kitten

Hey everyone
    I don't really post much because I haven't really had emetophobia effect my life even though I have thrown up several times since joining this forum 2 and a half years ago, so for everyone new, hey

my question/concern is completely off topic but because I do trust and appreciate a lot of the feedback I get on here for on topic, and off topic issues, and with the sense of community, I figured I'd ask some of you knowledgeable folks

I just got a kitten- her name is Harley (yes, exactly like the motorcycle as before we got her, she was birthed from my boyfriends sisters cat and Harley took fondly to the motorcycle in their garage by laying on it, under it etc lol) and she is 9 weeks and 3 days old today. However, I do have two adult cats (Jerri Leigh/female/7 years old and Oreo/male/6 years old) Jerri took VERY well to Oreo because we got him when he was 3 1/2 weeks old as he was abandoned by his mom and I had to bottle feed him- Jerri thought that because he was just a tiny infant kitten, that he was hers and turned into mom. They've always had eachother for the last 6 years and they never fought or anything.

I have read online that introducing a kitten to adult cats will take time (as I figured) I just want to be reassured that it will be successful. I read that it's normal for there to be hissing going on (which there has) It's like Jerri and Oreo established their own little "bubble" and if Harley gets too close, they hiss-but over the last few days they've allowed her to get closer. Also, Harley has hissed at them, but I think perhaps that's because she's scared and because she's seen them hiss at her. Right now Harley's got her own cardboard box that's large enough for her small liter pan, a blanket, and her food and water dish. When Harley isn't in her box, the other two cats go and sniff it, which I think is good progress...Also in the middle of the night Oreo jumped up onto the bed where Harley was cuddling with me and got about an inch and a half from her face until Harley hissed at him. A few days prior, Harley got right up and licked Oreos face while Oreo sat there hissing and it didn't phase her, nor did Oreo actually move lol he just hissed-not even loud. So I assume that they are establishing something that's good? It hasn't been that way with Jerri yet though, Is that because she's older? because Harley is another female cat? Jerri was only a year old when Oreo came into the house, and now she's 7.

So I guess what my question is, is that is this going smoothly? Has anyone ever intergrated adult cats and kittens? How long did it take until they were completely good with eachother? I understand cats are completely territorial. and not one cat has tried to attack the kitten either. Any tips?

Default Re: OT: Intergrating Adult Cats and New Kitten

It's definitely going smoothly. I haven't personally integrated cats, but my mom has, and this is usually what happens. They're standoffish and hiss for a while, but eventually they get used to each other. You're right that it might be taking longer with Jerri because, well, she's female, this new kitten is female, and female cats tend to be bitchier than toms. Give it another few weeks!

Also, I'm so jealous!! I had to leave my two cats with my parents when I moved to LA, and I want a new one soo badly!
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

Hi Jade. I am a catlover. From my experience this sounds like it is going well. I find if you take a rag or wash cloth and rub it on the kitten and then rub the older cats with it, it helps them to adjust to the new smells from the kitten. I have always had good luck with intergration except with the last kitten (Velcro) I brought home 2 years ago. Velcro and my female Mitzi absolutelty hate each other. I have to break up there fights once in a while. I guess in a way they are like us, in that they don't get along with all their own species. Have Fun and enjoy that little furrball!! Would you post a pic? Kittens are so damn cute!!!

Quote Originally Posted by spilled_milk View Post
    It's definitely going smoothly. I haven't personally integrated cats, but my mom has, and this is usually what happens. They're standoffish and hiss for a while, but eventually they get used to each other. You're right that it might be taking longer with Jerri because, well, she's female, this new kitten is female, and female cats tend to be bitchier than toms. Give it another few weeks!

Also, I'm so jealous!! I had to leave my two cats with my parents when I moved to LA, and I want a new one soo badly!

Thanks, Anya! This is good news, I was hoping things were going well, and it seemed to be going pretty well it's just totally different from the first time I introduced Oreo to Jerri.

I would dieeeeeee if I had to leave my cats I'm so sorry!
    Quote Originally Posted by catlynn View Post
    Hi Jade. I am a catlover. From my experience this sounds like it is going well. I find if you take a rag or wash cloth and rub it on the kitten and then rub the older cats with it, it helps them to adjust to the new smells from the kitten. I have always had good luck with intergration except with the last kitten (Velcro) I brought home 2 years ago. Velcro and my female Mitzi absolutelty hate each other. I have to break up there fights once in a while. I guess in a way they are like us, in that they don't get along with all their own species. Have Fun and enjoy that little furrball!! Would you post a pic? Kittens are so damn cute!!!!
    LOL, I like that, "in that they don't get along with their own species" (like humans) Thank you though, I will definitely try the wash cloth when I get home

Here's Harley

lol, she HATES my phone, she smacks it out of my hand if i'm not paying attention to her. She was meowing at me to put it down and play

AHHHH omg she is so cute!! I agree with everyone else, it's going smoothly Id just keep an eye on the females while they get used to one another to be safe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AWW!! Harley is a cutie! She is being demanding of you already. Harley loves her new mommy! Don't ya just love that animals except us unconditionally emets and all!

I had a cat a few years ago, & I thought he`d be happier being left at home if he had some company, so I bought a kitten. It was a disaster, he was really jealous of her, & bullied her all the time, so I had to re-home her.

My sister has two cats named Lucy and Lily and they've gotten along pretty good for the most part. However, she got a third cat named Meseiur when her sister-in-law died and the cat needed a home. My sister says that bringing in a third cat upset the dynamics. Meseiur likes to tease Lily and Lucy. Lily is especially intimidated by him. It's even upset the relationship between Lily and Lucy. They often pee and poop in the house. My sister says that while two cats are company, three or more is a crowd.

Susan