Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Exclamation Well, I've done it....an appointment and I'm TERRIFIED!!!!

I've gone ahead and scheduled a doctors appointment for the bowel problems that have been plaguing me for the last 8 months or so. It's been odd and worrisome. I'm not having *D but there is a sense of urgency when I have to go and sometimes I'll pass gobs of mucous inbetween the stool. It happens often enough that I feel it has compromised my life. I worry about it quite a bit when it happens because it just doesn't seem right or normal. You might think that now that I've finally scheduled an appointment that I would feel better, yes? But actually, it's made me feel even more anxious because I know exactly what will happen. Colonoscopy. I'm ABSOLUTLEY TERRIFIED of the preperation involved. I know that it can give the doctor important answers...but it's the one thing that's kept me from seeking help for this issue. UGH!!!!! HELP!!!

Default Re: Well, I've done it....an appointment and I'm TERRIFIED!!!!

I know that lots of people get them but the truth of the matter is, is that you will only be uncomfortable for one or more days(not sure how long it takes) and you will get it over with and it's only a short time out of your life that you will look back on and see that it wasn't so bad.

It's going to give you anxiety, it would give ANYONE anxiety but why make your day bad now? Why ruin the rest of your day with worry and anxiety? Why ruin the rest of your week with worry and anxiety? I know it's hard for me to think in this sense as well but it's true. Just live for today. I hope and pray that all goes well for you though and I am sure you will have support from family/friends along the way plus the doctors and nurses, etc.(:
    Tumblr :
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook :
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube :

~No matter where life takes me, find me with a smile.
    ~

I have colitis; I've had both a sigmoidoscopy and a colonoscopy. The preparation is the most unpleasant part, but you can get laxative preparations that are not as harsh as they used to be. I did not have sedation for the sigmoid and it was uncomfortable - I was consciously sedated for the colonoscopy and it wasn't bad at all. I remember very little of the procedure, and the worst part I found ( after the bowel prep ) was being so hungry and tired from not eating for 2 days. They also wouldn't release me until I passed some of the gas the put in... embarassing, but everyone else there was in the same boat!
    I didn't have n* from the prep or the sedation, just hunger pains, tired, and gassy. It's not nice, but it's better that you find out what's going on. Good luck!

Thank you...these are the things that I need to hear.

My husband had to have one recently, and he did not have any n* at all before, during or after. The prep just made him need to stay close to the bathroom. I think he used Dulcolax and Miralax, which wasn't unpleasant to taste. He was starving afterwards too. Good luck!

Being starving afterwards seems like a good sign!

I dread the idea of having a colonoscopy. In fact, I dread the thought of having anything inserted in my behind. When I was very little, I'd get constipated because I was afraid to poop and I had to get suppositories and enemas. The memories are vague, but traumatizing. In about ten years I'll be fifty, which is the age when colonoscopies are recommended. Hopefully by then, they'll come up with something less invasive, such as a camera pill you can swallow.

Susan

Hi, I'm 17 and iv had a colonoscopy and a endoscope and trust me, It was perfectly fine, there was no pain or V* involved, it's fast and all you have to do is drink the stuff that makes you D* but I promise to get answers it is well worth it

Hi Kyphie, my mom just had a colonoscopy last tuesday and she was terrified! she put a bottle of miralax into some lemonade and had to drink it all over the course of the night. She had no n* whatsoever and had no cramping or anything. When she went for the test they gave her a combination of 3 sedatives and she fell asleep and didn't remember any of the procedure, and wasn't n* or anything afterwards. They've come a long way with those kinds of tests and you'll be fine

I had a colonoscopy 3 years ago and I had to do the same prep as livepink's mom. That honestly was the worst part ONLY because it was so annoying running to and from the bathroom for the "cleanse" They gave me a twilight sedation for the actual procedure and I had no pain during or after (i was completely knocked out) also, no nausea. In recovery I slept for another hour because of the sedatitves, and when I woke up I was STARVING and got graham crackers and water!

I also went home, took another nap, then went to the mall. It was an easy day

Thank you all! These stories make me feel SO much better!!!! I'll probably be on this site the whole day before hand...lol