Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: a close call

Default a close call

Not having vted or felt nausea for a number of years, I was beginning to think that I was pretty much safe from vting, but I had a scary moment last Thursday. I`d been doing the week`s shopping, & it was a hot muggy afternoon. I hadn`t eaten for several hours, & I was very thirsty & I realise now that I`d become dehydrated. I was hauling a huge load of groceries up the stairs when I began to feel giddy & queasy. I had to sit on the stairs for several minutes until I felt better. I was quite scared that I would actually v for a short while, especiall as one of my neighbours chose that moment to come down the stairs. She didn`t say anything to me, but I kept thinking " what if I v in front of her, what would she think"! I know that it was my own fault for letting myself get so thirsty & hungry, hypoglycemia & all that, & now I know that I must be careful if I`m to stay v free in future.

Default Re: a close call

I understand how you feel, I didn't vomit for a good 30 years, I don't think you are doing yourself any favors, you make sound like vomiting is your enemy, which i think is wrong, we all face, there gonna be a time when we vomited again, it's a good thing because it helps are body get rid of toxic stuff from our body, it's taken me many years realise that, it doesn't feel pleasant, but it's over so quickly, then you feel better again.

I seriously believe that it`s possible to avoid vting for the rest of my life if I`m careful to avoid the traps that life puts in frontof me, like what happened on that Thursday.I don`t believe that that vting is inevitable.

What do you think your neighbour would think? I was in a situation yesterday where a person vomited in public. Several of us (all strangers) stepped up and helped her, stayed with her until she was okay, got her something to drink, someone held on to her purse so nobod would steal it because she had fainted prior to vomiting. Of course the vomit was gross but SHE wasn't and nobody thought anything bad about her. Emets need to stop thinking that the rest of the world views vomiting like we do/did. It's a body function, and most body functions are gross. But just like any other body function it is not a sign of weakness.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I`ll never get rid of the feeling that vting is a sign of weakness & lack of control, & if I was to lose control of my self, & v in front of other people, I would just want to curl up & die, because every time I`d leave the house after that I`d think that someone who saw me do it would nudge their mates & say: there goes that woman who threw up in the street, gross huh? I sincerely would rather die than v in public. Do you know what caused the woman to v, by the way?

Quote Originally Posted by hairyfairy View Post
    I`ll never get rid of the feeling that vting is a sign of weakness & lack of control, & if I was to lose control of my self, & v in front of other people, I would just want to curl up & die, because every time I`d leave the house after that I`d think that someone who saw me do it would nudge their mates & say: there goes that woman who threw up in the street, gross huh? I sincerely would rather die than v in public. Do you know what caused the woman to v, by the way?
    You have to ask yourself if that's realistic. Do you really think people are that cruel and heartless or even care that much? Most people are so caught up in their own lives that they barely notice what's going on around them let alone remember or care that "there goes that woman...". Most people would probably feel bad for you and IF (big if) they remembered you vomited in public, they'd be happy to see that you were okay. I know that's difficult to believe when you're in the thick of emetophobia.

The girl who vomited said she has a needle phobia and she almost always faints when exposed to them (she vomited after fainting). She was coming home from her first tattoo so the fainting was a delayed reaction to her phobia (she didn't faint while getting the tattoo) and the vomiting was probably triggered by the fainting and/or low blood sugar since she hadn't eaten since earlier that day. Who knows. But she was perfectly fine 20 minutes later, refused an ambulance, got back on the subway and went home.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.