Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default do you believe that you`ll v one day despite trying to avoid it?

I`ve seen quite a few threads that say we will all v again some day no matter how long we may have gone v free in the past.I wonder how many members think this, & why?

Default Re: do you believe that you`ll v one day despite trying to avoid it?

While I'm sure it's possible for the odd person to never vomit in their lifetime, the rest of us mere mortals probably will at some point for one reason or another for the same reason we'll probably get a cold, the flu, a headache, an infection, etc etc. We don't live in a sterile environment no matter how careful we are and so as long as we're alive and as long as germs and viruses exist, we're bound to catch something once in a while.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I know for one reason or another I will v* again. There are not just illnesses but many other reasons that one could v*, so altho it would be nice to believe I'd never v* again, I think it's just wishful thinking.

I wish they could remove my gag reflex! My sis in law has no gag reflex. She has NEVER Vd in her life. even with stomach bugs

i know it will happen one day,argh :/
    I hate this!!!
    "Worrying is a waste of time. It doesn't change anything, it just messes with your mind and steals your happines."

Everybody has v sometime in their life. Some not as bad as others. I know despite my efforts ill v again as well. But in the meantime ill stick to trying to avoid doing so.

Before I started coming to this forum, I believed I would never v* again on some level. I still worried about it all the time, but there was a big part of me that thought it couldn't happen simply because I have this phobia. I had read somewhere that people with emetophobia may be able to "turn off" the v* part of their brains, and I clung to that fact and convinced myself that was true for me.

But now I've seen many stories from people on this forum that have v*, sometimes after years or decades of not. At first I tried to convince myself it was because those people had kids, but that didn't seem to be true for all of them. It's started to change my whole way of thinking. Now I feel pretty sure I will v* again someday and am trying to convince myself I can be okay with that rather than convince myself I'm somehow incapable of v*.
    emetophobia shmemetophobia! -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by stoneskipper View Post
    Before I started coming to this forum, I believed I would never v* again on some level. I still worried about it all the time, but there was a big part of me that thought it couldn't happen simply because I have this phobia. I had read somewhere that people with emetophobia may be able to "turn off" the v* part of their brains, and I clung to that fact and convinced myself that was true for me.

But now I've seen many stories from people on this forum that have v*, sometimes after years or decades of not. At first I tried to convince myself it was because those people had kids, but that didn't seem to be true for all of them. It's started to change my whole way of thinking. Now I feel pretty sure I will v* again someday and am trying to convince myself I can be okay with that rather than convince myself I'm somehow incapable of v*.
    This is inspiring. I think that's what recovering from this is all about. It's not about trying to make sure you never vomit or that anyone else will never vomit (in my case) ever again, it's about making it so that you're okay with it when it does happen.
    Come visit my history blog:

When I was emetophobic I used to believe the same thing. But if you think about the "power of attraction" what we put our attention to with a lot of emotion we attract more of into our lives. So probably the opposite happens and we actually turn on (or over-stimulate) the vomit part of our brains because all we think about 24/7 is vomit with a lot of fear and fear is a powerful emotion. That's why emetophobics tend to feel nauseated so often and have so many stomach issues, real or imagined.

Since I overcame emetophobia, the chronic nausea stopped and I haven't had an IBS attack. Granted, it's only been a couple of weeks but since this emet nightmare started I never had a day when I didn't feel sick in some way. Now that I no longer worry about vomiting, it seems my body has calmed right down and feels good for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by KaydeeJayde View Post
    This is inspiring. I think that's what recovering from this is all about. It's not about trying to make sure you never vomit or that anyone else will never vomit (in my case) ever again, it's about making it so that you're okay with it when it does happen.
    I agree. I'm only in the beginning stages of this mindset and spent most of my life in the other one. But it already feels like it's helped a lot to make that mental shift. Now a lot of times if I start to feel sick and anxious about it, I'll get annoyed and tell myself "fine, whatever. It's about time." Even though I'm betting I wouldn't be able to sustain this bravery if I was actually ill, it's nice to have that mental "screw it" attitude. It keeps me from worrying or avoiding things as much.

Quote Originally Posted by out_of_order View Post
    When I was emetophobic I used to believe the same thing. But if you think about the "power of attraction" what we put our attention to with a lot of emotion we attract more of into our lives. So probably the opposite happens and we actually turn on (or over-stimulate) the vomit part of our brains because all we think about 24/7 is vomit with a lot of fear and fear is a powerful emotion. That's why emetophobics tend to feel nauseated so often and have so many stomach issues, real or imagined.

Since I overcame emetophobia, the chronic nausea stopped and I haven't had an IBS attack. Granted, it's only been a couple of weeks but since this emet nightmare started I never had a day when I didn't feel sick in some way. Now that I no longer worry about vomiting, it seems my body has calmed right down and feels good for a change.
    I don't know about "power of attraction." I have anxiety about a million other things too, and I've never brought any of them into my life by worrying about them. I probably worry about dying about as much as I worry about v* and am still here! Just creates more and more unpleasant stress/n* feelings for me. I think it's only the anxiety that causes all the n* emets get, not overstimulation of the v* center.

That's so awesome that you've been feeling so much better though! Are you finding that you can do anything without emet anxiety now? It's really all gone?

I don't know about "power of attraction." I have anxiety about a million other things too, and I've never brought any of them into my life by worrying about them. I probably worry about dying about as much as I worry about v* and am still here! Just creates more and more unpleasant stress/n* feelings for me. I think it's only the anxiety that causes all the n* emets get, not overstimulation of the v* center.

That's so awesome that you've been feeling so much better though! Are you finding that you can do anything without emet anxiety now? It's really all gone?
    The thing is, you can't cause death just by worrying about it, that requires an action on your part. Being nauseated can be caused by thinking and worrying about it a whole lot. If someone's afraid of clowns, they can't make one just appear by thinking about it too much. I hope I'm making this clear because I feel like it's not making sense :P
    Come visit my history blog:

I don't know about "power of attraction." I have anxiety about a million other things too, and I've never brought any of them into my life by worrying about them. I probably worry about dying about as much as I worry about v* and am still here! Just creates more and more unpleasant stress/n* feelings for me. I think it's only the anxiety that causes all the n* emets get, not overstimulation of the v* center.That's so awesome that you've been feeling so much better though! Are you finding that you can do anything without emet anxiety now? It's really all gone?
    Think of it this way. If you were to think about a lemon and picture yourself cutting it in half and then taking one of the halves and squeezing it, if you did that, even if there isn't a lemon anywhere in sight, you would be able to smell lemon AND your mouth would start to water as tart things usually make us do. Our minds don't know the difference between real and imagined, so your saliva glands would have to be stimulated by your thoughts in order to cause the physical reaction of your mouth watering, correct? Otherwise where is the additional saliva in your mouth coming from when you think "juicy tart lemon"? Well, same thing with stimulating the vomit centre by focussing so much on not vomiting. Your brain doesn't get the "not" part, all it "hears" is "vomit" and because your brain is healthy and works perfectly well, it goes into action and stimulates your body to feel like it's going to vomit - ie nausea.

Yes it's really all gone. It's only been two weeks but I've been feeling consistently "normal" every day, no more nausea, no more chronic scary thoughts of "what if...", and no more obsessing about everything being contaminated and getting sick. I don't WANT to vomit and I still have an "ew" reaction to it if I see it, which is normal, but that panic-attack inducing terror that made me seriously consider killing myself to make it stop, is finally gone.

A better example is a sexual fantasy. Anyone who has ever masturbated knows how powerful the mind is and what a thought can make your body do.

I see what you're saying. I agree that thoughts can influence how you feel for sure. I guess I just don't believe a person with this phobia could make themselves actually v* by thinking about v* constantly. That's never happened to me. Also, I don't really feel like I've ever thought myself into n*. It's more like I'm second-guessing a feeling that isn't n* until it appears to be n*.

Quote Originally Posted by out_of_order View Post
    Anyone who has ever masturbated knows
    I never have. Please tell what it's like.

I believe that the next time I v* it will be from a sv*.

So I am keeping my hands away from my mouth! And only eating home cooked meals that I made myself. I refuse to get this!

So as long as I don't have a sv*, I doubt I will v*. Sv* are the only things that have ever made me v*. So avoidance is key for me.
    Tumblr :

Facebook :

Youtube :

~No matter where life takes me, find me with a smile.
    ~

Gumdropper, are you serious! how on earth have you managed to avoid vting all your life, when everyone says that we all do it at some time. If your`e telling the truth, then I wish that I was you, I`m SO envious!!!!

^ Hairy, as I say frequently, I last vomited 36 years ago. It's a long time, but not all my life. Earlier in this thread, I joked about never having done something else. Read carefully and you'll figure out what.
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

Quote Originally Posted by gumdropper1 View Post
    I never have. Please tell what it's like.
    I'll send you a diagram lol.

I have V at least twice since I have had really bad emet. I was always scared of being sick myself but it wasn't until 10 years ago that it took over my life. I have to say that when it came to V I just got up and did it. I felt so terrible that something took over me. But the bit before with all the nausea and the bit after with the worrying about being dirty from it and that it will happen again, that is the problem. Its like the V reminded me why I hate it so much (though I actually don't really know what I am afraid of) and I start 'listening' to my stomach more.

About a month and a half ago I got FP. I felt really sick but I believe I did manage to stop myself. The next day I have bad D which went on for 24 hours. To be honest I might as well of V as I felt just as bad and couldn't eat etc. This has made my emet the strongest it has been in years. Now I am listening to everything that my stomach does for fear that I will be sick.

Surely if we emets believed that we would never be sick then we wouldn't be afraid of it? I KNOW that it will happen again and I spend every day of my life worrying that today is going to be the day
    I have conquered this mountain before and I can do it again now! I will stay strong! I will THRIVE!

Read my blog

As much as I hope and pray IT never happens again, I'm fairly sure one day my luck will run out.
    The way I see it, I'm 41 years old, and odds are that ITs gonna happen again someday before I die no matter how much I want it not to. there's just too many things: illness, bad food, reaction to meds, injury,etc that can happen for me to think realistically I can continue to avoid it.
    That being said, it's been about 34 years since I last did, which is why I'm unable to give up the phobia or conceive a life without it Somewhere along lines my brain linked my "success" in avoiding it all these years to the phobia itself. In other words, giving up the phobia and all it's rules will somehow make my guard go down, making me more susceptible (yes, I know how bad that sounds!)
    Jennifer

I believe that I might one day V despite everything I do (my whole system of things I use to avoid it). But I don't know if I will be able to allow it or if I will overdose on my meds while trying to prevent the V. It terrifies me.