Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Arrow Anxiety Nausea or Actual Nausea?

I'm 15 and have been emetophobic for as long as I can remember, but recently it's flared up again and I have periods of feeling very nauseous after eating. I know that anxiety can cause nausea, but I was wondering if anyone knows if there is any way to tell the difference between it and nausea caused by a virus? I've heard before that if the Nausea is in your throat then it's anxiety but I've felt sick to my stomach many a time with no other symptoms of illness so I've always assumed it's anxiety before.

Bare in mind I've only been ill with a stomach virus once in the past 8 years, and there was no v*, only d*, so I'm not really an expert in what genuine nausea feels like either...

Default Re: Anxiety Nausea or Actual Nausea?

For me, nausea of any kind feels the same, especially when my anxiety really gets out of control. I can usually tell the difference by distracting myself with something, a phone call, playing a game, watching a movie. If it goes away while I'm otherwise occupied, I know it's just anxiety, but if it lingers or gets worse, it's real. That might not work for everyone, but that's worked well for me, especially since it is all anxiety it seems lately.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: Anxiety Nausea or Actual Nausea?

All nausea,whether its caused by a virus or its caused by anxiety, is REAL. The difference is the anxiety nausea is caused by your thought and emotions...the virus nausea is caused by your stomach physically. If you can think of food and feel "hungry" or say to yourself that a certain food would be good,then its probably anxiety causing it. (That's what I've been told..but sometimes I'm so anxious I tell myself it doesn't sound good cuz if I eat I will vomit!) Ahhh the vicious cycle!
    Like artoo says,try distracting yourself! It really does work!
    "It is the child that sees the primordial secret in nature and it is the child of ourselves we return to. The child with-in us is simple and daring enough to live the secret."