Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Default Re: Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is working!

I have had CBT or OCD and emet in the past but I am currently in the waiting list to see another therapist. It seems that CBT is all they offer here! The problem I found it that exposure doesn't decrease my anxiety when it comes to V. It worked with the OCD but not V. I handle seeing the V etc when I am confronted with it and then my anxiety decreases. But the minute I get home it comes back. For example, if I walked past V on the street I would want to change my jeans when I got home. I have managed to continue wearing my jeans all day and the anxiety has started to decrease. I then take them off to go to bed and put them on the side like I normally do with my clothes. At this point my anxiety is lower. Then I go to sleep.

In the morning when it comes to putting my jeans back on the anxiety is right back where it started when I walked past the V. Suddenly I can't put the jeans back on and the spot where they were has become dirty as well. So in the wash they go. Surely CBT won't work if the anxiety just keeps coming back?
    I have conquered this mountain before and I can do it again now! I will stay strong! I will THRIVE!

Read my blog
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is working!

Quote Originally Posted by jennielouises View Post
    I have had CBT or OCD and emet in the past but I am currently in the waiting list to see another therapist. It seems that CBT is all they offer here! The problem I found it that exposure doesn't decrease my anxiety when it comes to V. It worked with the OCD but not V. I handle seeing the V etc when I am confronted with it and then my anxiety decreases. But the minute I get home it comes back. For example, if I walked past V on the street I would want to change my jeans when I got home. I have managed to continue wearing my jeans all day and the anxiety has started to decrease. I then take them off to go to bed and put them on the side like I normally do with my clothes. At this point my anxiety is lower. Then I go to sleep.

In the morning when it comes to putting my jeans back on the anxiety is right back where it started when I walked past the V. Suddenly I can't put the jeans back on and the spot where they were has become dirty as well. So in the wash they go. Surely CBT won't work if the anxiety just keeps coming back?

Hi Jennie, I had CBT a few years ago also in the UK and I found it really hard. I think they rushed me (good old NHS eh) and the therapist was useless. I had anxiety even sitting in the room with the therapist just talking about it as I was worried what they would do. They got me to listen to some tapes of sicky noises, which was really hard but did start lessening the anxiety - but it was just nasty! And boring! Then we watched a fake video of a lady pretending to get sick in a bowl just a tiny bit, then it got worse and worse etc. The therapist was gawking out the window and that part of the tape ended and went onto another bit where a man was pretending (I hope) to get sick in a bucket really loudly and the therapist quickly jumped up to turn it off going Sorry! Sorry! And I said "You MEANT to do that!" and he said no no sorry. I didnt trust him and he was an absolute moron. Im not trying to put you off your own treatment, but I would advise that you make sure youre comfortable with the therapist you get and feel you can trust them, and theyll take it at your own pace. I had councelling a couple of years ago for stress and got a lady that was absolutely wonderful whereas other people ive spoken to have really not got on with their councillors. I do think the therapy helps if you have someone whos actually understanding and not just trying to clock in-clock out each day. Im in a better position in myself to start trying to attempt some therapy of my own with things on tv etc I accidently watched that had a bit of V in it and could possibly cope with, but I keep putting it off!!!! If I tell my boyf thats what I want to do he will encourage it, but im frightened that broaching the subject will make it happen! Eeek!! Im such a wimp! XClareX