Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Hey, I'm New

Default Hey, I'm New

Hey, I'm new on here.

For the most of my life I've been deathly afraid of "V" and even freak out just from the thought of it. People usually laugh when they realise and pretend to "V" around me, I hate when they do that.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone shares a similar form of the phobia that I do.

I'm not afraid of V-ing myself, but seeing OTHERS do it. If someone says they feel sick, my body will tense and I will back away as far as possible. If I'm around babies, pregnant people, in a car/plane/BOAT, around drunk people, at a dare contest/eating contest, watching a documentary on bulimia, drinking, partying, etc. ANYTHING where V could or is present, I feel tense and I can't enjoy anything because all I can think is V V V!

My mum told me a story today about someone violently V-ing on TV and how funny it was, I've been freaking out all night long. Like, I can't handle it anymore.

If I feel sick or V, I don't worry, because it's like my own blood or toe nails... it's MINE.

If someone else feels sick, it's the end of the world for me.

Thanks for reading.

Default Re: Hey, I'm New

Hey there, welcome to the forums!

I'm exactly the same as you. I hate vomiting, but it doesn't make me scared when I do it, but when it's someone else, it feels like the worst thing in the world. I'm getting a lot better using Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) and I've heard that this form of the phobia is the easiest to treat, so that's good, but it doesn't make it any less awful to have.
    Come visit my history blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yes, same here. I've lived with this my whole life & am now 33. I have two children and am constantly afraid they will get sick. It has gone so out of control since I've had them that it literally affects every aspect of my life. Every noise they make in the night sends me into panic. I am currently in CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) at the Anxiety Treatment center in CT and it is working for me. This is how I know: I've only had three treatments so far and my husband had a sv yesterday and my baby son in the middle of the night last night- I handled it well and have to say I did not go straight into a 10 panic level; it was more like a 6 or 7. I'd like to get to a 4 and I'm really confident I will. I HIGHLY recommend this form of treatment! It is NOT easy but nothing ever is!

Welcome!
    I'm opposite, I don't mind watching others v*,except for example when I'm scared I will be sick cause of smell, but just watching - no. Or when it's really gross I'd be scared I'd be sick cause of that. But it doesn't really bothering me, it's all ok when I know I won't catch it.
    "Worrying is a waste of time. It doesn't change anything, it just messes with your mind and steals your happines."

I'm basically the same way. Although I don't enjoy v*ing myself because of the smell, it doesn't bother me nearly as much as being in the presence of others. I avoid all forms of public transportation, as well as pregnant people, babies, drunk/high people, even old people because I am so afraid that they will be sick and I will embarrass myself when I freak out. When I was younger, I was in CBT therapy but it wasn't very helpful. My therapist would make me imagine situations where people would v* and create different scenarios which would be ranked from low to high stress. For example, low stress might be hearing a story about someone getting sick, but high stress might be imagining your friend v*ing during science class. I had a really hard time with this because it was very different for me in the real situation than in my imaginary reaction. I'm not sure if this is true for everyone, but when I think someone is going to v*, my heart rate speeds up, I sweat, sometimes cry, and hyperventilate.

As I've gotten older and left therapy, I've begun to slightly improve and "grow out of it". However, I still feel extremely anxious at the thought (never mind the sight/smell) of v*. I think what I may try next is a higher exposure form of CBT, where I must watch videos of v* or something. In this scenario, I cannot smell it, just see and hear it.

Just wanted to let you know that you're DEFINITELY not alone, and there are plenty of great people to help you on this site. (I'm a newbie and love it already.) Feel free to PM me if you have any suggestions or tips that you've learned.

That's very mean of people who pretend to v to tease you when they know of your phobia.

Susan

I happen to have both forms of emetophobia, being afraid of getting sick and others getting sick. How long have you been doing CBT? I just started it with a counselor and I am unsure about it's results.

Thanks for the feedback, just as I initially entered this site it seemed as though everyone had a different form of the fear than me. Yeah, I don't ENJOY v*ing, but at least I know when it's going to happen. Like, if I feel sick I will either know I will or won't, when someone else is feeling sick I sit there in intense fear wondering WHEN it might happen and how I can get away. Sounds crazy, I know.

Yeah they tease me, I don't think people see it as a real fear. If they find out they usually come close to me and pretend to retch. It's horrible. Even that gives me a higher heart rate, sweating.

And I've never been to counselling, my fear doesn't consume my life, I really only experience it when I experience V or think about V or hear about V, not just day to day life.

same issue here

I'm the opposite, i'm not to worried about other people vomiting! And i know what you mean, nobody seems to really understand unless they have it themselves!