Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Saw a pic of someone v* I'm really scared now.

Well I saw a pic of someone v* and it's really disturbed me and I don't know how to calm down... These pictures keep me awake at night. :'(
    How do I get it out of my mind ??

Default Re: Saw a pic of someone v* I'm really scared now.

The more you try getting it out of your mind the more you'll think about it. It's like trying NOT to think of a pink elephant - what do you immediately think of?

Instead, what about talking yourself out of your panic by telling yourself realistic things about the picture? Like, it's just a picture, you can't catch anything from a picture of someone vomiting, looking at a picture of someone vomit won't make you vomit for any reason. It's normal and natural to have an aversion to vomit so looking at that picture and thinking "ew!" is perfectly normal. The picture represents your worst fear but your fear of vomiting is extreme and way out of proportion with any real danger associated with actually vomiting, that's what makes it a phobia. As you're telling yourself these realistic things, focus on your breathing. Take long slow deep breaths right down to the bottom of your lungs, hold for as long as you can, and then exhale very very slowly. Repeat until you feel calm. You can't breathe slowly AND panic at the same time so this method works very well to calm you down. Now, you could distract yourself by focussing on something else (music, a movie, a book) but it would be much more beneficial to you in the long run if you use this to help you take a tiny step forward instead of backwards. So, I would suggest AFTER YOU CALM DOWN to go back and look at the picture again, just for a brief second. Or if you don't have the picture handy, think about it. The second you start feeling anxious, do this "exercise" all over again. Repeat until you can look at and/or think of the picture without having an emotional reaction to it at all. Repetition is key. You can do it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.