Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Can't go out :(

Default Can't go out :(

So usually my emetophobia is manageable but i felt really sick in the cinema the other day and freaked out and ever since then i feel sick and anxious all the time and find it incredibly hard to go out without having a panic attack I'm going back to college in a week and don't know what to do Does anyone else ever have problems like this?

Default Re: Can't go out :(

I HAD DEALT WITH THIS.

The only thing that helped me, was positive thinking or not thinking about it at all. Positive thinking examples: "I'm fine." "It's just anxiety, it won't hurt me." I can do this." "I have been through worse, and anxiety will pass." "What I fear has never happened before, and it never will."

Honestly, the only way I learned to live with my anxiety was doing things that made me uncomfortable. I went out in public when I was really anxious. Did I panic? Yes. Was I n*? Yes. Did I cry and feel like a big baby afterwards? Yes.

DID I GET THROUGH IT THOUGH? YES. DID MY FEAR EVER HAPPEN? NO.

Anxiety is uncomfortable but your body will take care of itself. College will most likely make you get over the anxiety. It will MAKE you deal with anxiety head on. But you know what? You will get past this. Have fun in college!
    Tumblr :
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook :
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube :

~No matter where life takes me, find me with a smile.
    ~

Oh yes, for pretty much the entire duration of 2011 I was terrified of leaving home. I spent very few days outside it for long. It was a huge ordeal each time I had to go someplace. I didn't have the will to fight the anxiety, even though I have always been capable of it. I gave up too easily and refused to accept that so many times, it has to hurt, be difficult and get unpleasant before it gets better. That was a reality I didn't want to face but after so much time stolen and the toll it took on my emotional state, I wish I had faced up to it sooner.

So please, take it from me, don't hide away in solitude for too long. It puts such an unfortunate limit and barrier over your life. It took over an entire year from mine.

You have to fight and dig really deep sometimes.. deeper than seems possible. But you have the fight in you to do it and once you do, the limits will go away on their own. And usually when we feel like giving up that's when we are closest to making progress. Franklin D. Roosevelt said when you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on. You just have to hold on a bit longer, and you have that ability in you!

Every day I have to remind myself to be happy just that I'm alive and have made it this far. And no matter how hard it is to think about going on another day, I know I have felt that way many times and made it through. You will too!
    "This is impossible."
    "Only if you believe it is."

"I stood yesterday. I can stand today."

today was the first time in a very long time i left the house on my own and walked about on my own. i did feel a little bit of n* but was able to control it and distract myself with a book. but the first few times i tried to go out, i had panic attacks and had to call my dad to come get me. i felt stupid but things have gotten better with just positive thinking and distractions. try it, it works! you can do it

Thank you for the replies! It was hard but i managed to go out with my friends today and almost felt like my normal self again! That changed when i got home but it's a start