Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default No Appetite At All For Over A Week - Just Not Hungry!!! Please Read!

Hi All. 9 times out of 10, I'm fine. The fear is always with me, but I can eat, sleep, and have a normal life. Something always sets it off, and the non stop anxiety begins. This time, it was Bronchitis. Apparently, the lady in the next room when I was at the Drs office had been throwing up all night. So of course I freak. Not to mention, they put me on a really strong antibiotic. It wasn't my doctor, he was off that day, so saw someone that didn't know me or my situation. Anyway, 2 days later, went back to see my doctor, he put me on a softer antibiotic. Bronchitis is gone, but this is just about the worst it's ever been. The fear itself is making me feel nauseas. Does anyone else have that? There is no relief. Sometimes the anxiety meds wont work. But this is the thing. It's not like I'm hungry and am just not eating (that's happened to me many times).....I'm not hungry at all. The thought of food going down my throat is making me sick. Has anyone else had this particular problem? Where the appetite just isn't there? You fear you are going to make yourself sicker in the long run. Nights are hard, I can't concentrate on anything because of the worrying and physical symptoms. Does anyone else have a similar story of have been through this thing with the no appetite before? Any support would be greatly appreciated, and I would be more than happy to answer any questions for anyone else!

~Ly

Default Re: No Appetite At All For Over A Week - Just Not Hungry!!! Please Read!

Hey - I'm sorry you're feeling bad. I get n* from fear very often, actually - I usually have to tell myself that it's just anxiety until I feel better. Anxiety can get rid of my appetite, too - there was a time when I was younger that I was fifteen pounds underweight. I'm no expert, but I've found it helps a little at night to distract yourself with whatever's on hand - the Internet, a game, a book, a movie. Then once you're tired, you fall asleep easier.
    I know you don't want to eat, but it might help to eat something very light - like cucumber, or a roll. Sometimes if I force myself to eat, I realize I'm hungry.

Default Re: No Appetite At All For Over A Week - Just Not Hungry!!! Please Read!

Hey It's so nice when I find someone who feels like I do! I have had the no appetite thing soooo many times. Normally what happens is, I fear that I'm going to catch a bug or something if I think I've been exposed to one, so the anxiety makes me completely lose my appetite. I physically cannot swallow food or put it in my mouth without feeling like I'm gonna v*. So then I worry that not eating will make me really really ill, so then I lose my appetite even more and it's just a vicious circle really Best thing I think to do, is just not worry about eating. If you lose your appetite for a few days then it isn't the end of the world, and worrying about it will only make the anxiety worse. Just relax and try and take your mind off food, and you will get your appetite back X

I'm actually going through this right now! For the past few days I haven't been able to eat or even really drink anything. The thought of anything in my mouth made me feel so sick. But by not eating its made it even harder to eat anything and I feel so terrible. Today was the first day that I was able to eat anything but now my body is sore and achy and now I'm scared I'm going to be sick :/ but it might be because I've been up for a long time and was on a plane today traveling to Chicago. I hope you'll feel better. I know how hard it is to start eating especially when you feel like you're going to v*. I really really hate this phobia. It's so terrible and I keep losing more and more weight

Just make sure you drink lots of water and maybe some Gatorade

I'm doing the same thing right now :/ I seem to have a manageable anxiety level 90% of the time but something always comes along to set it into high gear.. So I definitely understand that! For the last few weeks I have barely been able to eat and I've lost 10 lbs.. I feel like my throat is closing and I have to seriously force myself to swallow. I think the key is to do things that make you happy, and to eat healthy things when you can. Last night I ate FOUR slices of pizza! Lol. And I felt better today and yesterday than I have in weeks! I know it's not a healthy food necessarily but if you can try to cheer yourself up somehow and just relax and eat you will feel soooo much better! And remember you are not alone