Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question Tips that are effective in travel s* (coach ride)?

I have a school trip on a coach on a 2.5 hour journey. Only problem is, I get real bad nausea when travelling in coaches or long car journeys almost to the point I think I will be s*.

Anyone know any good, useful tips tried and tested by fellow emets? No medication though, just general.

I wondered if peppermint/mint sweets might help because I read on here somewhere that peppermint is a natural anti-emetic? (i think :s)

And do any of you get find that you feel motion s* sooner and more intense if you are already anxious? (I do)

thanks for your help.

Default Re: Tips that are effective in travel s* (coach ride)?

i don't know if pepermint helps,i have never tried it (don't know why). I usually take dramamine for motion sickness. Before my emetophobia i have never been sick while traveling,but now i'm n* often..and then i get nervous and panick attack. That sucks.
    So i recomend you to take dramamine or something like that. And make sure not to be hungry cause you'll be n*. When i was little i didn't want to eat cause i thought it will make me sick but then i was sick cause i was hungry and it was worse.
    I hope you'll be ok. Have fun!
    Our school trips lasts for 6,7 hours and i didn't go past 3 years cause of that.
    "Worrying is a waste of time. It doesn't change anything, it just messes with your mind and steals your happines."

Hi! I also get motion sickness and on school trips i normally try sit on the inner seats near the front so you can see out the front and listen to my ipod and breath deeply have water and boiled sweets to suck on or if you just want to take your mind of it sit with friends and just mess around and try have fun both work for me good luck!

If you can get an isle seat or the seat right at the back in the middle, or the front seats that have noone in front of you .. feeling closed usually makes me panic more, having a little bit of room with noone next to you may help Also chew chewing gum, the peppermint kind, they give your mouth something to do, and don't make your mouth feel a salivery (i know that isn't a word, i'm great at english as you can tell) and then you won't get so much of a panic of feeling s*. I'd say definitely bring an ipod or phone with music of some sort to distract yourself, perhaps buy something that keeps your brain focused such as a puzzle book? Those sudoku ones .. will keep you focused for hours! Have a fun trip!

Something else that works for me is making sure I've got some food in my stomach when I'm in a car. If I'm hungry, I get car sick much easier. Also, if I read anything in a car I feel icky, but that may not be the case with you.

Thanks everyone for your kind advice! I survived the trip and didn't feel s* AT ALL. (shocking!) I listened to my iPod the whole way, sat by the window and ate mint sweets along the way, and ensured I ate food before the journey.

I'm glad everything went fine. You should be proud of yourself! :-)
    "Worrying is a waste of time. It doesn't change anything, it just messes with your mind and steals your happines."