Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Do you have good days and bad days?

I have had emetophobia since I was 6, I am now 24 years old. In the past 4 years emetophobia has been much worse. I think about the sv*, and v* on a daily basis and I obsess about cleanliness, etc. I work in a daycare with infants (I love my job), but it is often a challenge for me with my fears. I have not v* since I was 6 despite having the sv* and food poisoning. However, I have lived in fear of them both.

Anyways, in the past two weeks I have been having days where I wake up and I say to myself, "hey, i think I could v* today if I had to". Not that I want to, I just feel like I would mentally and physically be able to handle it if I did v* those days. That frame of mind seems to remain with me all day, to the point where today two co-workers were diagnosed with noro and I (almost) don't care. I mean, I don't want it by any means, but usually I would be freaking out right now. I seem to have the mindset that says "oh well Jill, if you get it you get it, and if you throw up, you throw up". I am kinda proud of myself. In the past two weeks I have had mostly, if not all good days where I had these thoughts. The ONLY thing that has changed in my life is I am working out a lot more now. Has this ever happened to anyone? I was hypnotized about a month ago for the second time, so maybe that has something to do with it?
    I really hope that I will continue to have these days more often, and my emetophobia will be on the mend, because I do not remember what it is like to live without it.
    Sorry for such a long and drawn out post, but this is very confusing for me (in a good way, I think!).
    Thank you, I wish you all health and happiness

Default Re: Do you have good days and bad days?

I have good days and bad days with my phobia, definitely, but your good days sound better than mine ever are. Sometimes I will think something similar to your thought "hey, i think I could v* today if I had to" but I always get the sense that it's false confidence because I'm feeling good/happy. And if someone around me was sick, I would still care.

That's so great that you are feeling this way! And yes, I think it could be either the exercise or the hypnosis. I would guess the exercise, because hypnosis did nothing for me - but I know it does help some people.
    emetophobia shmemetophobia! -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: Do you have good days and bad days?

I have good days and bad days, too. On good days, the thought rarely crosses my mind, and it's such a relief. It seems that when I'm busy (I.e. no time to think), it's better. On good days, too, it's kind of "outta sight, outta mind," meaning that something could happen (see / hear of v or sickness), that changes it . I wish I had more good days!!