Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default how to NOT throw up?

I have heard people say that even with sv or fp, they have not thrown up in a LONG time. I was wondering if there was a technique to not throwing up. Deep breathing and other coping skills like that don't help me.

Default Re: how to NOT throw up?

To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When you are an emet you find ways not to. Usually it involves having a panic attack. Try to distract yourself !
    The past is only the future with the lights on;
    quit crying your eyes out, & baby come on.

I am pretty sure that a major part of vomitting is mental. Im not saying that your making up the nausea, but concentrating/panicking on it will definately make it worse. Have you ever felt sick, and then something major happened to draw your attention, and then you realize you don't feel so sick anymore?
    Last edited by twinmom73; 09-06-2012 at 08:39 PM.

Over the weekend I came in from a run and felt extremely nauseous right away. Even as it got worse and worse, I had to keep moving, distract myself. Stand outside and breathe some fresh air, check your phone for messages, wash some dishes, put away some laundry, have an Altoid (peppermint is a help), have some cannabis (also helps, but know yourself--if you react with paranoia it may be more harm than good as it becomes VERY easy to psych yourself out one way or the other), sip on seltzer with lemon, repeat.

For me the "danger zone" is sitting still, essentially waiting for something (you know what) to happen. Unless you feel very weak, and it can be nice to lie down and do some deep breathing.