Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question You get to change one aspect of v*...

(Not going to abbreviate in this post, heads up to those who may be sensitive to seeing v*/n*/etc spelled out.)

So if you could change one "aspect" of vomiting, what would it be? To make it more palatable, I mean. Examples:

*make it taste like chocolate ice cream (or insert delicious food here)
    *take away the sounds
    *always know 100% if it will happen or not

... etc. Also, you could pick one for your own vomit and a different one for other people, depending on what you fear the most.

Just a fun little idea I was thinking about. Thoughts? What part of it do you hate the MOST?

Default Re: You get to change one aspect of v*...

Take away the feeling right before. Make it more manageable and less of a hassle.

Ugh. I just wish it didn't exist.
    Tumblr :
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook :
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube :

~No matter where life takes me, find me with a smile.
    ~

I think I also agree with the 'feeling right before'. I get terribly dizzy and feel very odd and seem to have a short moment in which I almost lose consciousness. Not sure if that is a fear response, or normal, or if it is some physical quirk of mine that's caused the phobia rather than vice versa.

Also to take away the feeling right before. To me that's worse than the actual v*ing!

to be able to control when and for how long you vomit

I would change that the vomit goes down instead of up and gets expelled anally.
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

To know 100% if it's really going to happen and for the terrible feeling before to not last too long. Then to feel 100% better and fine after its done

Doug - that's something I've thought about, sort of... (although your alternative, I would argue, is just diarrhea :P )

I wish we had a separate orifice for vomiting. Or even if I could pick to vomit out my ear, that would be better than out of my mouth.

The smell. If it wasn't so horrid, I could deal with myself and others doing it.

I've actually thought about this a lot and can never decide. It's weird because I feel like if I took away ANY of the different aspects it would make it much better.

But I guess I'm going to say the embarrassment/shame/messiness of it. If doing it in public didn't make anyone even bat an eye, and it was a cinch to clean up and didn't have the potential to ruin/stain things, I think I would be a lot less nervous whenever I was out somewhere. Along the same lines, if it didn't indicate to the people around you that something was wrong with you and that you needed to be taken care of and helped. The thought of people being horrified and/or overly concerned for me really bothers me.
    emetophobia shmemetophobia! -

I love Doug's answer! That would be great, but mine would be the knowing 100%, including how often and how many times. For me, it's the lack of control. It's an awful thing, but I feel like if I knew when and how often it were going to happen, I would feel better about it. I hate the not knowing.

For me, just take away the nausea. Give me another trigger, a quick one that goes off a minute or two before it happens so I can get to the bathroom and be fine.

For others, the sound! It sounds like people are in agony when they get sick. Nope, no vocals in it please!

You may find these links helpful!

if i could change one thing it would be ( to take away the feeling ill for hours before you v*) Thats the worst part..id rather it just hit me and then gives me 5 minds to get somewhere and then bang and then feel better after..its defo the hours of feeling s* thats the worst!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd change how I felt right before. Worst feeling in the world.

I would get rid of the *n and it would also be wonderful to know when and how much you are going to *v

i would just know 100% when its gonna hapen and at least know 1 day in advance, things would be alot easier then :S

Tarrynx, if I could be the devil's advocate, how would it help to know 24 hours in advance? Wouldn't that lead to 24 hours of sheer terror for an emet? I think most people know less than an hour in advance...

Quote Originally Posted by cinque View Post
    I think I also agree with the 'feeling right before'. I get terribly dizzy and feel very odd and seem to have a short moment in which I almost lose consciousness. Not sure if that is a fear response, or normal, or if it is some physical quirk of mine that's caused the phobia rather than vice versa.
    I get the same way. I nearly faint, ears ring, hot and sweaty...it overall sucks! (WARNING)I think if I was going to change anything, I would change how it feels like it comes from my feet...like a whole body convulse. Like my tummy is flipping inside out. SUCKS!

I don't really know what I hate the most about it. The whole retching thing is such a violent experience in my opinion. So maybe take that away and it would be less tramatic.

That I completely do not comprehend what is happening, I dont mean in a dangerous way but that I lose all the feelings- the N* the dizzyness the uneasy feeling and the act itself from beginning to end and never have the memory.

I hate the feeling of being out of control of my body, wondering if and how many times it will be... Like everyone else I'd get rid of that 'right before' feeling that's the absolute worst.. That and laying there or hours beforehand dreading and laying as still as possible begging God not to let it happen!

But if you know 24 hours in advance that would give me time to make sure it 100% dosn't happen in a public place or infront of anyone (i think thats the biggest aspect of my fear) and i would be prepared and it wouldnt take me by surprise which i think is the worst part

it's hard to narrow it down to just one thing but i think if tasted delicious that would definitely improve things for me.

For me: the horrendous nausea and imminent feeling beforehand.

With others: that I'd know for sure when it was going to happen (i.e. with my partner, daughter etc) so i could prepare.

I`d want to have absolute control over whether I vted or not, because the loss of control over my body is the scariest thing about it. If I had complete control then I would choose not to do it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by summerdazies View Post
    (Not going to abbreviate in this post, heads up to those who may be sensitive to seeing v*/n*/etc spelled out.)

So if you could change one "aspect" of vomiting, what would it be? To make it more palatable, I mean. Examples:

*make it taste like chocolate ice cream (or insert delicious food here)
    *take away the sounds
    *always know 100% if it will happen or not

... etc. Also, you could pick one for your own vomit and a different one for other people, depending on what you fear the most.

Just a fun little idea I was thinking about. Thoughts? What part of it do you hate the MOST?
    Oh this is a tough question.... I have so many aspects of v that I abhor.... If I could change one aspect of it, I would rather v go down then up. Sorry if īts TMI, but if all v could be excreted as D I wouldn't be as scared of it, there's something about having it come up and through the mouth that really doesn't sit we'll with me. Or having all that nausea action occur in the upper half of my torso through my upper organs that really freaks me out.
    My YouTube Channel:

My Emet Blog:

For me: I think it's that I would only want it to happen once, if it has to happen. Doing it a second or third time really, really scares me. Or I would want to know for sure if it was going to happen. It would allow me to relax the 99.99% of the times I feel sick and am not sure what it will lead to.

For others: Knowing if I can catch it or not. I don't like it when other people vomit, but the thing that makes me phobic is feeling like I could catch it.

Taryynx,

I think if I got 24 hours' notice, at 23 1/2 hours I would take a strong hypnotic pill so that I would not remember doing it. Then rinse my mouth promptly and by the time the hypnotic wears off, it would be all over and there would be no trace.

Doug

That I wouldn't be afraid of it ...
    Taking a sabbatical from IES, moving on, and making concrete changes to live my life without fear.
    Friends know where to reach me.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.