Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Am I truly an emetophobic?

So I have been doing a lot of reading and I'm hoping someone might be able to answer this question. I've gotten mixed information regarding whether I could be classed as an emetophobic. I hate myself v*, I will do virtually ANYTHING to stop it. I take ondansetron twice a day to stop any nauseous feelings because they make me stressed that I'm going to v*. However, I did get a stomach flu about a year ago and I v*ed a few times and while it was AWFUL and the first time I'd done it in 12 years, I did survive it. My worst fear is other people v* around me. I avoid ANY situations where this might happen, I don't drink, even driving through the city at night makes me horribly stressed because I'm terrified that I might see someone who is drunk and v* on the side of the road, I won't go to theme parks, I won't go on buses, boats and if I have to fly I take anti-anxiety medications. These are just a few examples of how terrified I am of seeing someone v*. Is this emetophobia??

Default Re: Am I truly an emetophobic?

I would say you are definitely emetophobic! I don't really think there are any exact criteria for diagnosing it; I've certainly not been diagnosed with it. I just identify as emetophobic, I suppose. A phobia is defined as an irrational fear, and I think it becomes a problem when the sufferer has their day to day life disrupted by it, or undertakes avoidant behaviour. Really in your case I don't think there is any doubt that you are emetophobic, because you're evidently thinking about v* on a regular basis and it is impacting on your life.

I'm a bit worried that you say you take ondansetron twice a day because it is a very powerful drug, and can have annoying/disruptive side-effects. Have you been prescribed it for constant nausea? Do you have any other health issues? It may be good if you could look into a gentler nausea remedy such as ginger. Have you talked to your doctor about this, and explained your fear? I think it would be a very good step if you did. A lot of members here suffer from gastrointestinal issues such as unexplained nausea and IBS. Anxiety can be a contributing factor to conditions like that. Treating the anxiety can sometimes very much help with relief from those symptoms.

Anyway, sorry for waffling. Welcome to the forum; you'll find lots of support here. And do remember that it is possible to recover from this phobia! xxx