Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default First Trimester of Pregnancy

Hi everyone,

I can't believe I just found this community! I have had emetophobia since I was 4 or 5 years old. I am lucky in the sense that I am (mostly) able to live my life without the phobia interfering on most days.

However, I recently found out I was pregnant. While I am thrilled, the past two weeks have been non-stop anxiety and n*. I had to go to the ER which I have never done in my life. I was previously prescribed Klonopin .5mg 3x daily for panic disorder but weaned off of them a few months before I got pregnant. I still had quite a few left for emergencies, but I was told that I absolutely can not take them while pregnant. The anxiety is so bad that I have to keep them at my mom's house otherwise I would absolutely take them.

I don't know if the n* is real or due to my anxiety. I think it's probably both. I am trying to be strong. I am on Vistaril for when I feel very anxious and Zofran to keep the n* at bay so I don't get too anxious, but I am still struggling. Is there anyone here with emet that has made it through a pregnancy (or pregnancies)? Logically I know that I WILL make it through this, but sometimes I just feel like I want to die. I wouldn't wish this cycle of n* and anxiety on my worst enemy. I am literally counting down the days until the end of the First Trimester (25!!!!) so I can hopefully feel better. I feel like I won't be a good mother because I can't handle this. My fiance does the best he can, but it's draining for both of us and you can't truly understand this unless you have it. I had to stop going to work and I rarely leave the house. When I do, I am full of anxiety and often have panic attacks. I am basically bed ridden at this point due to crippling fear and n*.

Any words of encouragement or success stories would be appreciated. I have not v* and I hope that I won't seeing as I am already 8w3d. I am running on 2 hours of sleep because I had intense anxiety all night.

Thank you

Default Re: First Trimester of Pregnancy

WOOHOO! Being pregnant is the EASY PART! It's when they grow up that's hard haha.

I did make it through my pregnancy without v* but I did feel n* ALL THROUGH MY FIRST TRIMESTER. Guess what? I still went out, still went to the fair, still rode on the back of a motorcycle. Did I think I would v* all the time? Yes. Did I? Nope! Neither did my mother. The n* will pass after the first trimester gradually. It WILL get better!

Sucking on ice helped, so did watching tv with the family. Some funny shows or some scary ones. I listened to lots of music, took lots of baths, and stay away from nasty smells as your senses are hightened now. Crackers and tums were my best friend.
    Tumblr :
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook :
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube :

~No matter where life takes me, find me with a smile.
    ~

I am 8 weeks pregnant right now ... and I get n* in the mornings because I get so hungry when I wake up. I have taken Zofran once or twice so far & it helps but it causes nasty constipation so be careful with it.

I'm also on a very low dose of Zoloft (25mgs) to help with the anxiety. Been on it a week now and I am feeling better, actually going back to work!

Things get better with the 2nd trimester for most people ...

im 24 w pregnant did get n* about 5 days from week 7 till 9 and its gone. ive not been s* and meny mums on here told me they wasnt either. n* due to pregnancy is diffrent.. its more of a hunger.. keep sipping fluids and eating small dry things..drink ginger/mint tea. im now trying to cope with the fullness in my stomach due to waight and i panic but i got this far you can do it. congrats

First off congratulations. I am in my frist trimester with my THIRD pregnancy. I have two healthy toddlers that keep me busy: ages 1 and 2.

I am on ativan as needed (.5 mg) for anxiety. I went both of my previous pregnancies without becoming ill, or even n*. In fact, my 1st pregnancy, I believe there were a few smells that made me queasy, but I just learned to steer clear of them.

Aromatherapy is HUGE in pregnancy & is also super helpful for me in regard to this phobia because powerful scents are VERY distracting, and sometimes even relieving. So find favorite lotions or sprays of yours, or even body washes or soaps, or candles - and when you're feeling a bit off, take a deep breath and smell one. Do it a few times until you've distracted yourself from what was making you feel icky in the first place.

I've read the scent of lemon (even an actual lemon cut in half) can be helpful to pregnant women suffering from n*.

It IS possible to get through it! You just have to be super attentive to your body and it's needs and wants. Don't let yourself get hungry. I know as emets we typically won't eat when n* but pregnancy n* is worsened by an empty stomach and is typically caused by eating less than you should. So always at least nibble, I think the general rule is snack every two hours at least.

I am only 6 weeks. So trust me I am super nervous, too. My thoughts are with you.

Kelleigh Nicole
    24 - F - MA - Mommy to Kallie & Damyn

Facebook: