Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default New Guy w/ Emet.

Hello to everyone who is reading this. I want to start off by saying I am 13 years of age and I have been dealing with emetophobia for about four years now. I have recently developed anorexia nervosa from my phobia. I am 4''10 (yes i'm short) and i weigh 68 pounds. I have not been eating in the morning because of my constant fear that I will v*. To make matters worse, I have Physical Education on the first period of the day. This kills me because I think that anything I eat in the morning, i will throw up. Because of that, I have lost 10 pounds in the last 5 months. Most people think because I'm young and small that I'm just a kid who doesn't know or feel about anything. Little do they know that I have a deep dark phobia that is killing me and destroying my life. I will admit that the day I found out I had anorexia nervosa, I did cry for many hours. I have always struggled with gaining weight and tried my very best. But hearing this, just killed me inside. Recently I've gotten an infection and I must drink oral medicine three times a day; morning, after school and night. But I have learned that the best way to deal with emetophobia, is not to run away from it, but to face it. I'm glad to see that I am not alone and tons of other people have the same phobia as me.

Default Re: New Guy w/ Emet.

Hi There, I'm so sorry to hear of your pain - you are definitely not alone. Where are you from (which country?) Are you getting help from a sympathetic doctor and therapist? Can you talk to your parents about this? There is help available and this is the first step to revcovery. Please do get help because you can get better! I have been emetophobic for decades - since I was 8 years old. I am now 45 years old. I have not v* since I was about 8 years old (knock on wood!) This fear is all in our mind and you CAN overcome this. I used to be afraid of eating when I was little but my parents always told me not eating would make me feel sicker - and eating will make you feel better. It is always better to eat something - anything - to regain your strength - you will not v*. Please let us know how you get on. I hope you find all the support you need on this site You can get better

Hi, and welcome! I'm sorry to hear you're going through such a tough time.

When you say you were upset to "find out" you had anorexia nervosa - I have what I hope may be some good news for you. Anorexia nervosa is an eating disorder where the sufferer intentionally does not eat/starves him/herself and has a FEAR of gaining weight/being fat. It sounds like you are not wanting to be underweight and have tried in the past to gain weight, which definitely does not sound like anorexia nervosa to me. If your doctor told you that you have this condition, it might be because he/she isn't familiar with emetophobia (which can present with similar signs - not eating, fear of eating certain foods, not wanting to eat in public/only in controlled environments, weight loss which may be severe). I may be reading you totally wrong, and if you have both emetophobia and anorexia nervosa, I am so sorry, as I know what that is like, having suffered from anorexia nervosa intermittently since I was 11 and emetophobia since I was 5. (Now almost 21.)

I hope you are able to find the support you need here. Please know that there is hope

Thank you everyone so much for the support. I really really appreciate it! My doctor had told me I had anorexia nervosa because my weight suggested an anorexic weight for my age.

I agree with summerdazies, it definitely sounds more like you're just struggling with emet which to others would probably look like an eating disorder.

I'm really sorry to hear how much you're struggling though, if anyone knows how it feels, its us! Haha, so you're at the right place.

Hi there again! Yes, I agree with the others, I didn't think you would have anorexia - people with emetophobia are often misdiagnosed There is information on this website which you can print out and take to your doctor or therapist. It's definitely worth finding a caring, sympathetic doctor - keep trying, because there are lots of things that can be done to help you recover, including taking medication. There is also medication which can stop you from v* and a good doctor will prescribe this for you so you can take it if you feel sick. Don't give up. You will get better. If you keep trying to eat - you will learn that it is safe and that you will be ok. That is how I overcame my fear of eating and flying in a plane (fear of getting motion sickness). By trying these things I learned that it was ok and safe. I hope this helps. Take care

Thank you! This helped a lot!