Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default mums come down with sv!

My mums been ill this past week and a bit with a cold, but last night after eating her dinner she suddenly started to get a stomach ache and felt n*. I started freaking out straight away as I'd strangely already woken up that day (yesterday) feeling like I was going to be s*. I was really convinced I was going to be, to the point where I was just sitting by the loo. Anyway, I ended up feeling better and managed to get myself into work when I realised it probably was just an anxiety attack. I felt sick for the next few hours though.I've been worrying in general lately just because I haven't had as much of an appetite and keep feeling sick, but I think that could be because of other things going on in my life right now. Anyway, mum did end up being s*, twice, d* also. I've anti bacted the loo and handles and stuff but I'm really freaking out. I'm finding it so hard as well because my mum is my go to person when I feel sick. So I don't really have anyone to talk to now about how scared I am. I'm really really scared I'm going to get it.

Default Re: mums come down with sv!

I'm sorry..
    Do your share bathroom with her?
    When i have a cold, I'm always afraid that it'll turn out on v*! Thanks god,it never happend.
    I don't know what else to say. Hope you'll be ok!:-)
    "Worrying is a waste of time. It doesn't change anything, it just messes with your mind and steals your happines."

Yeah, we only have one bathroom thank you! I really hope so too.

My husband had the bug this last winter. We only have one bathroom as well. If you go in a bleach/Lysol spray down the toilet, handle, door knobs, sink and floor around toilet, don't eat anything made by her, and wash your hands for 20 seconds with water and soap before you eat and after you use the bathroom, you should be fine. I never got it. The one thing that is also good to do is after a person has been sick in the toilet, close the lid BEFORE you flush! It will help keep the particles down. We have to keep it down anyways cause my cats like to think it is their own water bowl, but I know that my toothbrush is safer that way! Hope you get thru this ok!

Thanks for the tips! As of yet, I haven't been sick. Mums feeling a lot better today, but still feels a bit heady. My worry now is, how long till I'm considered in a safe zone? I don't feel sick, but I've had a funny head for the past few days now, I'm not sure if its related to what mums had or not.

Bleach is your friend! I know how hard it would be for me if my mom got sick like this and I were living at home.

What we call a "safe zone" usually refers to the incubation period - i.e. the time it takes after a person has ingested a sufficient amount of pathogen before they show symptoms. For norovirus, this usually ranges from 12 hours to 72 hours. Your mom will still shed viral particles in her stool for three days to two weeks, so if you can do so politely, ask her to be extra careful about the hand hygiene, and the closed-toilet-flush policy is always a good one. She got ill on the 14th it seems and you are still fine two days later, so it seems like if you'd contracted it you would most likely have shown signs by now. (I'm not huge on the whole count down thing - it feels fatalistic - best to be proactive, i.e., just keep washing your hands and following precautions like the ones that JellyBn mentioned.)

I think you'll be just fine. It sounds like you are doing all the right things.