Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Noro vaccine update!

I know you aren't all as excited as some of us for this noro vaccine to come out. But, for those of you who are as excited as me here is an update!

http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/ICAAC/34781

Looks like they are having more luck with the intravascular injection than they did with the nasal. I know they are still a bit away with it being out to the public, but at any rate I'm happy to hear the positive results!

Default Re: Noro vaccine update!

Probably 2-3 years away but its promising.

I'm curious - Will you still get it if you find out a possible side-effect of the vaccine will be noro-like symptoms? Just like the flu shot causes mild flu-like symptoms in some people.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by out_of_order View Post
    I'm curious - Will you still get it if you find out a possible side-effect of the vaccine will be noro-like symptoms? Just like the flu shot causes mild flu-like symptoms in some people.
    That't the trouble for us emets isn't it unless they can 100 percent guarantee the noro virus vaccine wont make us sick then we are not going to be able to have it .. I really do hope it will not end like that and I PRAY TO THE LORD that I will be able to have it without any unwanted side affects.. However very good point :/

They stated that the only side effects were some tenderness in the arm where the shot was given...I could handle that!

I hope this is the case xx

Quote Originally Posted by mela View Post
    They stated that the only side effects were some tenderness in the arm where the shot was given...I could handle that!

As of right now. Keep in mind that during human trials, any tiny thing that may have been caused by the medication being tested has to be listed as a possible side effect. That's why some medicines have such long lists of possible occurrences.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

And just to add to what asianeko said, they also claim that a sore arm is the only (or at least most common) side-effect of the flu shot, yet so many people get sick - flu sick - from it.

I don't even care if I have mild side effects, when the vaccine comes out I will be the first one in line to get it! Haha :P
    Tumblr :

Facebook :

Youtube :

~No matter where life takes me, find me with a smile.
    ~

Ive gotten a mild flu after getting the vaccine so i probably wont get the noro one. I may have my kids get it though.

Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer2012 View Post
    Ive gotten a mild flu after getting the vaccine so i probably wont get the noro one. I may have my kids get it though.
    The flu symptoms from the flu virus aren't from "catching" the flu, it's just systemic immune response to an antigen (fever, malaise, mucus production). It's fairly standard for any vaccine, so an intra-muscular noro vaccine would possibly give flu-like symptoms but not attenuated noro symptoms, basically. I'd only be worried about that if it was meant to be an ingested vaccine (like the rotavirus vaccine).

We dont know what the true side effects are and wont until its released in a few years or so.

I really don't think that this vaccine could give anyone a norovirus infection. It is not even a real virus, it is a virus like particle. I'd say any vaccine that has live attenuated virus could give you the disease even though that response would be unlikely. Also, I'd take my chances with the side effects I think because they would be mild and even if I were somewhat nauseated I could certainly manage that with antiemetics and anti anxiety drugs. No guarantee that that would work with a full blown norovirus.

I would absolutely get the Noro vaccine. If side effects were mild symptoms it prob wouldn't be any different than most of us feel every day (nausea, diarrhea)... I would amp up on anti-emetics and ride it out!! To imagine a life where I wasn't worried about Noro... So worth it!!

This really excites me because if, like fixxxer said, 2-3 years out, that would be just about the time my daughter starts kindergarten-- would save a lot of anxiety for this mama! She just started preschool (2 days a week, 3 hrs at a time) and I am officially terrified of the germs shes gonna bring home! Poor thing knows the first thing we always do when getting in the car after school is to wipe our hands off with Wet Ones :/

Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer2012 View Post
    We dont know what the true side effects are and wont until its released in a few years or so.
    That's right, or even if it will work. The chicken pox vaccine is pretty much a flop... so many kids who get vaccinated end up with chicken pox, and the flu vaccine doesn't guarantee you won't get the flu... so no one vaccine is 100% effective with every person. But I guess if when the noro vaccine comes out it gives some people peace of mind, then why not? I myself will be skipping this vaccine just like I skip the flu shot.

Quote Originally Posted by jkl81 View Post
    I really don't think that this vaccine could give anyone a norovirus infection. It is not even a real virus, it is a virus like particle. I'd say any vaccine that has live attenuated virus could give you the disease even though that response would be unlikely. Also, I'd take my chances with the side effects I think because they would be mild and even if I were somewhat nauseated I could certainly manage that with antiemetics and anti anxiety drugs. No guarantee that that would work with a full blown norovirus.
    I hope you really dont think that because noro is a true viral infection.

No you're right norovirus is a true viral infection, but the vaccine contains no live virus. Some vaccines do contain live viruses such as the flu mist intranasal flu vaccine. Even with live virus vaccines the chances of a full blown infection were small but they did exist. This is why intranasal flu vaccines aren't recommended for people like senior citizens and very small children for whom a flu infection could be fatal. What I'm saying is that if a vaccine doesn't contain any live virus tobegin with it cannot give you the virus it supposedly protects against. You might still get side effects and the protection you actually get is up for debate, but in any case you won't be getting the illnes itself.

This is such such good news! Just what I want to hear now since I've been told that there's a bug going around...:P I'm gonna have to agree with AoD here, too. I just recently got the flu vaccine (last Sunday), and to my surprise, I DID end up getting sick anyways because of it. BUT, I'm pretty convinced that what I had wasn't the flu. I haven't had the flu once in my life as far as I know, and even when it felt like the flu, the tests would always come out negative. Just because you get sick after getting the flu vaccine does NOT mean that it's the actual flu, it just suppresses the immune system for some people. That's exactly what happened to me I think which is why I'm going to stop getting it altogether. I mean, if it gets me sick anyway, what's the point in getting it? But again, it doesn't mean that I got the actual flu. It could have just been a really bad cold.

That's pretty much my view on this vaccine. Just because I get this particular vaccine does not necessarily mean I could get the actual bug. For all I know, I could just get a regular cold because it may or may not lower my immune system, which personally, I would be willing to take over the s*v* any day. :P Nevertheless, once it does come out, I'm probably going to wait a few months just to see how it works on other people, before I decide to get my feet wet. I'll be pretty excited, though, if it does end up working!
    “Never, ever, let anyone tell you what you can and can’t do. Prove the cynics wrong. Pity them for they have no imagination. The sky’s the limit. Your sky. Your limit.”
    -Tom Hiddleston