Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thumbs down I'm beginning to get so paranoid about this fall/winter season. :/

Ugh.

It sucks. I've been doing a bit better overall the past few months, after forcing myself to do things and try things that make me anxious just to face the fear rather than avoiding it all of the time.

But now everywhere I go, I hear about who is sick and with what. Some sv*-related, other colds, flus, etc. But everywhere basically, contagious illness. I don't want to eat anywhere because I remember how sick people would be and still work and prepare or serve food when I was in food service.

I don't really want to do anything honestly... I'm tempted to fall back into being a hermit and only do my job and nothing else. I can't really go anywhere without worrying about germs and then come home convinced that I feel ill.

And I usually am not, obviously. Be gone, anxiety. It's making me feel like this is definitely the year I get hit with something, and will probably keep me from enjoying autumn which I once loved but now can't think about without thinking 'argh, fall/winter... stomach bug seasons.'

Anyone else feeling stuck or kinda hopeless in this way?
    "This is impossible."
    "Only if you believe it is."

"I stood yesterday. I can stand today."

Default Re: I'm beginning to get so paranoid about this fall/winter season. :/

You are not alone, ma'am! I am going through the very same thing lately. Especially since I have young school kids. I'm so scared they are going to come home with something they caught at school! It's always always on my mind. The best thing to do is to remember that you have survived all seasons & managed to be just fine...this one will be no different. Although we always think "this will be the time it happens to me"....It most likely will not! ps, if u could explain to me how to upload a profile pic on here and post new threads, tht would be great! Im completely new at this.

I can't believe there are others out there who struggle with this very same thing. I live in Michigan and the weather has begun to turn. I've been afraid of sickness since long before I can even remember. As a young child I would hide behind furniture and sing to myself should anyone in the house be sick. Still, I was able to enjoy fall and the turning of the leaves. In recent years it seems like the feelings of fear and dread creep up earlier and earlier in the season now. I find myself hiding in the house as soon as dusk sets, taking anti anxiety meds... dizzy, faint, heart palpitations, unable to concentrate... the whole 9. I HATE this. Is there anyone else out there who has a correlation between darkness setting and fear of sickness rising? I HATE SEPTEMBER THROUGH APRIL OUT HERE!

I feel the same as you all have posted... Fall used to be my favorite season as I love to hike in the cooler weather and admire the changing leaves. Now, though, I just see it as "the beginning of sick season." My anxiety definitely starts earlier in the year than it used to. Now my 3 yr old started preschool 2 mornings a week, so this is my first year dealing with that. I got the sv last Oct and am totally freaking out right now. I made the mistake of going to dinner tonight with a friend, and am now too nauseous and worried to go to sleep. I regret it every time I go out to eat! I knew it before I went but just really wanted to hang out with my friend . Night time definitely makes the anxiety worse. I sleep on the couch most of the time because I'm afraid to go to bed. My fear is the same as it was when I was 7! I'm 31 now! What can we do to get through this? I have stocked up on hand sanitizers (the ones that work against sv), take vitamins, exercise, clean with bleach... Just wish I could turn my brain off & go to sleep. And wish I didn't feel nauseous every time I eat!!