Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default What. The. Has anyone experienced this?!

I haven't been to this site in ages, but after what just happened, I had to. I don't know whether to laugh or have a panic attack so actually I'm doing both.

I live in an apartment where the walls are paper thin and I can literally here the upstairs neighbors peeing on almost a daily basis. You might think you know where this is going, but it's not. Not quite.

I'm in my room just now with the window open and I hear what sounds to be this man...heaving. Loudly. Like this exaggerated noise, over and over. There is another apartment complex within a few feet of my back window (so close I never open my blinds because there is no view and I don't need to put on a show). I'm not sure where this sound is coming from. It actually happened about a week ago, that time at 5:30 am. It sounded like someone was having a hairball. I couldn't figure out what it was at first because it didn't sound like the typical sound. Not that I would know what that sounds like because I...don't go near anyone who vomits. I had my window closed that time and I STILL heard it.

It has to be the same individual and I don't know WTF they are doing. After laying here, paralyzed in shock and confusion, I jumped up to slam the window shut. Moments later, I heard the upstairs neighbor do the same, lol.

So I guess my question is, has anyone else had to deal with this type of freaky situation in their living quarters? I mean, is it necessary to make that loud demonstrative heave? It's almost like people who sneeze too loudly; I just don't feel it's necessary to make all of that noise. Then again, I wouldn't know anything about vomiting since I haven't done that since about '83? '84? This is my first time living in an apartment with a roommate and I guess I'm just not used to it. It's also not the most modern/luxurious joint and had I really known that before arriving on a whim (long story), I might have given it another thought. *shudders*

So yeah, what was the point of all this. Anyone ever hear your neighbors barfing? Traumatized from it?
    Last edited by alexikiss; 09-23-2012 at 02:02 AM.

Default Re: What. The. Has anyone experienced this?!

Omg too funny (?) that you would post this as I was just thinking about that possibility today! I live in an apartment as well and can always hear my upstairs neighbors pee!! Umm gross? I'm sorry you had to hear that!! Especially seeing as I was just realizing how traumatized I would be :/ sleep with the tv or light music on!

That is funny, because I used to have an apartment where I could hear people above me peeing. One reason I always aim above the water line. Silent urination.

Anyway, I used to have a girlfriend who would brush her tongue to the point where she would gag. I don't know if she ever vomited from doing it, but her loud gagging could wake me up from a deep sleep.

Keep in mind that you might not be hearing what you think you're hearing.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by gumdropper1 View Post
    That is funny, because I used to have an apartment where I could hear people above me peeing. One reason I always aim above the water line. Silent urination.

Anyway, I used to have a girlfriend who would brush her tongue to the point where she would gag. I don't know if she ever vomited from doing it, but her loud gagging could wake me up from a deep sleep.

Keep in mind that you might not be hearing what you think you're hearing.

Doug
    I agree. I don't live in an apartment, but I used to hear my next door neighbour (their bathroom window was right next to my bedroom window) doing what sounded like heaving. Turned out he was sneezing. Is this a possibility?
    Come visit my history blog:

Erk I totally empathise. I used to have a housemate who made the most disgusting throat-clearing coughing-up noises every morning. I know that sounds horribly judgemental of me but I could hear it across the house and is it really necessary to make so much noise?! Gah. Also I hate the way sound-proofing is always so bad with blocks of flats. Had our downstairs neighbour hammering on her ceiling (our floor) and swearing the other day because we had some friends round and they were laughing/chatting (not excessively loudly). xxx

You know what, that has happened to me too...twice! Once where there was a guy who was presumably drunk on the balcony across from mine, pacing back and forth and making loud heave/cough sounds for no reason. The second time was in a different apartment and was similar to yours, four apartments were set up in a square and my bedroom was in the back so it looked out on all the other apartments. Once night I heard this awful loud heaving noise and I could not for the life of me figure out where it was coming from! I was really scared but then I ws like, I am nowhere near this person!! It was definitely disgusting though.
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

Haha, thanks for everyone's responses! I will try to address everything in one post.

I live on the first floor and so I've told myself that because of this, no one can hear my bathroom activities. Funny, I, too, gag on my toothbrush once in a while but nobody would know unless they were watching me (and probably thinking I'm pretty sad for it, lol). However, the thought has crossed my mind that if I can hear these upstairs people urinating, then I'm likely to hear everything else they end up doing if that is the case. I tend to have a morning hairball myself from a sinus/allergy problem and I hate it because it must sound like I smoke 2 packs a day if anyone can hear what I'M doing!

The first time this happened, I truly thought it was a bizarre noise. So I agree with the person who said it may not be what I think I'm hearing. And given the time, I figured it was someone getting up for work and maybe having their morning hairball. But for it to happen AGAIN only makes me fear it will keep happening! Even worse, I had been starving and was about to get some food...I ended up having to wait a half hour until I got over it and calmed down. :/

When I lived with my family, my emetophobe younger sister used to eat herself sick every so often and...well, let's just say it was an unmistakable, awful sound that stayed with me for days (and many milligrams of Klonopin later). Oh, and as someone said, I also thought maybe it was a drunk in the street or something. The first time it happened, I was a bit terrified to walk outside the next day. But this person is definitely in their house doing whatever the hell it is that they're doing. Part of me wants to yell "SHUT THE F*CK UP!!" next time, however this isn't exactly a frat house so maybe I shouldn't...although it would probably be funny. We'll see. Hahaha

I know all bout the disgusting noises that neighbours make, but fortunately Iv`e never heard anyone vting in my building. I live in a block of flats that was built in the 1960`s, so there`s not much insulation against noise. I`m right next to the stairwell & whenwver people are coming up & down the stairs it`s like being invaded by a herd of elephants, & talking of revolting noises, there`s a man on the ground floor who has a terrible chronic cough. He leans out of his window with a cigarette in his hand & loudly coughs up phlegm, Iv`e seen him doing it & it`s disgusting. I don`t know why he doesn`t get some treatment for his chest as all that hacking can`t be doing him any good, he`s been doing it for 10 years or more, & I`m wondering how he`s still alive because when he makes that awful noise it sounds as if he`s dying.

I am always so paranoid about this! My old apartment had paper thin walls and one person actually did get the stomach bug across the hall from me and I heard it and it freaked me WAY out. I became very paranoid of door knobs.

My current building I can hear across the air shafts and that doesn't bug me because there is no reason for me to come into contact with them. I can hear the toilet flush/water running and feet stomping around above me though and sometimes I feel anxious when there is more flushing than normal and fewer footsteps.

My neighbor is a schitzo and I hear him barfing ALL THE TIME. It's really annoying and exaggerated like you say. I just think to myself "please for the love of God shut your mouth, annoying person."

Not traumatized by it though but it's so annoying.
    Tumblr :

Facebook :

Youtube :

~No matter where life takes me, find me with a smile.
    ~