Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Pregnancy worries

Hey everyone. So me and my partner are trying for a baby and I'm really really excited of course but I feel quite scared too incase during the pregnancy I get really bad morning s*ness or I'm s* when I'm in labour. I know I could've waited til after I'd got rid of the phobia to try and conceive but it's something I want so much and I don't want to let the fear stop me from living my life the way I want.
    At the moment I'm having therapy for my phobia so I'm hoping that it helps but I'm worried incase it doesn't get rid of the phobia before morning s*ness comes. Like most emets I'm very rarely s* I just feel it a lot but I think that's probably the anxiety that causes it. I think the last time I actually v* was about 10 years ago! I'm just really apprehensive about the whole thing and I'd really like it if someone could share their experiences of pregnancy with me to help put me at ease a little.

Default Re: Pregnancy worries

I say go for it!!! I've been pregnant 5 times..And have two kids now.. that sounds weird lol. But anyway, I did have a few moments of nausea with my pregnancies, especially my last one..where i thought i was going to V..But i never did. I honestly believe its a big mind over matter thing.. And u know ur body very well- if u do have the morning s*ness, you will be able to control it. Babies are huge blessings and change ur life for the best! I dnt think u should let ur fear get in the way of it if i can do it, u can too!!! I never v*d while i was preg or in labor. I had two csections, and the one i had, i let the anthestisiologist (sp) know about my phobia...and he gave me awesome med right after they got my son out of me! i think u should try not to worry and go ahead and let ur life be blessed with a child =))

Definitely don't let this phobia stop you. Having a child is amazing! I felt n* for first 11 weeks of my pregnancy but didn't v* and i never v* during labour. I came close once but i didn't feel ill leading up to it, my stomach just kinda flipped like when your on a rollercoaster and then i was fine, the midwife said it was cause i was just at the pushing stage. Also they can give you meds to stop n* and v* which i asked for and they worked well. Good luck with the baby making x

Thankyou both so much, hearing positive things makes me feel a lot better about the whole thing. I heard somewhere that the doctors can give you some medication for morning sickness but I'm not too sure, I might find out about it. I just feel all emotional about the whole thing, do you think that's normal? I'm nervous, excited and terrified all at once! Stupid phobia! X

Yes thats very normal! Even for the women without this phobia! It's an emotional process in itself...But i tell u this..It will all be worth it =) And remember (when u do conceive) that the mind is a very powerful thing- and U are in control! You can do it, you'll be ok- congrats, good luck & lots of baby dust sent ur way

I am 11 weeks pregnant right now! I was scared of morning s* too but I didn't let it stop me. I have v* twice but it's a different v*, not like a stomach bug v*. Both times I wasn't even n*, I literally finished eating & bam the food came back up. However, I was hungry after.

I have meds for n* too that I take periodically. They work wonders.

Ive had this phobia for about 10 yrs and ive got 3 kids now, i felt exactly the same as you hun, i lost loads of weight in the first 12 weeks of pregnancy coz i didnt want to eat incase i v*. But with all 3 i only ever felt n*. I never v* once or in labour. Its so worth it in the end though :-) and theres so many things nowadays that can help with the nausea anyway....i say go for it xx

Thank you all so much for the encouraging words! You're all so lovely and hearing these things makes me feel more positive about pregnancy Another thing is, how do you cope when your kids v*? Baby V* wouldn't bother me at all, its when they get older and get an sv* that bothers me X

I wont lie to you, it is hard when they v* but somehow you just deal with it. It doesnt disgust me or anything like that with my little boy and i cope quite well during the event-i just have to work on the panicking and anxiety after!! Even though it terrifies me i am so glad i have him and that i didnt let this phobia win. You have to think how them being ill is such a small proportion of life, in comparison to how many amazing, fun experiences, and all the joy they bring x

Thankyou Its really good that you manage to cope with it! I hope I can be the same with my own children, I don't want to pass on the phobia. I can cope with seeing people be sick, it just panics me if I think I'll catch it off someone, so that's kind of what bothers me. But perhaps I'll have rid of the phobia by then! I'm not gonna let it stop me from having a baby X

Definitely do not let it stop you from having a baby if thats wht u really want I dont deal very well with my kids being sick- just for the fact i may catch whatever it is. I feel so guilty tho when my oldest gets sick with a sv* because all she wants is for me to lay with her and help her..and i do try, but end up running away right after and freak the hell out! lol... But i remember tht its life, and usually, Moms devolop this weird immunity to the things their children catch..and usually we dont catch it from them God knows wht He's doing!

I was so worried about morning sickness, too. I had a plan to keep saltine crackers by my bed so I could have a few before I sat up and got out of bed. I also planned on my husband making me ginger tea in the mornings because ginger is a natural anti-emetic (and because he gets up before I do). All for naught, I didn't have any morning sickness for either of my pregnancies. I felt a bit nauseous with my second, for about two hours mid-morning and two hours mid-afternoon, but nothing to worry me or keep me from a normal day. Morning sickness affects about 50% of women, that gives you a 50/50 chance on not having any at all. Of the ones that do have it, most are not too bad (nausea, but not v***) and you can do things like the saltines and ginger tea, etc to ease the symptoms. Don't let this phobia hold you back, becoming a mom is one of the best reasons to face it down.