Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default London/South-East (or all England) - Sufferers Group?

Hi there.
    Hope I managed to catch your attention.

I am interested in forming a couple of contacts online or offline for sufferers of the phobia, particularly if your based around the London area, with a view to possibly eventually forming a small support network. I already have interest from a couple of people, and something that unites us all is that we all feel its time to take control of this stuff before it goes on much too long; and there has been interest in possibly making a small social meet up possible in the future (obviously this will not be required if some people are not comfortable).

My main aim is to allow people with this phobia to discuss and share experiences, and methods of coping, on a supportive level with eachother; but also with a view to debating possible causes and influences. This hopefully can be done either over skype, or email, or the phone too if neccessary.

A little about me: I'm a guy in my twenties, and have been dealing with this fear now for getting on for three years, and not one week has gone by where I am not trying my hardest to explore different ways of managing and coping. I've felt every single fear that I've read on these and other forums and I know of every single symptom. But, as I have read my way through tonnes of 'remedies' and 'solutions', frustration and helplesness continued to grow within me over the lack of options. I've tried a number of different therapies, and it is only within the last month or so that I'm begininng to feel more and more in control. There is no written reason as to why you, or I, or anyone else with this fear HAS to suffer, and I've come to realise that in order to face this, we need to take some responsibility over the way we process what goes on in our life; which of course means that we need to begin to ask ourselves possibly some very challenging questions. What better way to do this, than with a group of people who are determined to kill off this fear in our lives?

So if your interested, get in touch. I know its a bit weird talking to strangers in such a personal way perhaps, but possibly not as weird as suffering with this stuff alone. No judgements, all kinds of people are welcome, of all ages and creeds, sufferer or non sufferer. If you have something to bring or to take away from this kind of networking, even if it ends up being two or three of us, this really does not matter.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Default Re: London/South-East (or all England) - Sufferers Group?

HI, I`m a woman in her 50`s who has always been afraid of vting, but it`s only in the last 15 years or so that I`ve really developed a phobic reaction to it. I had a bad expeience of vting in january of 1997, & ever since then I have dreaded the thought that it could ever happen again. I live in Leyton, London E10, & this area always seems to be hit particularly hard by the norovirus in the wintertime, in fact our local hospital, Whipps Cross, is always having to close many of it`s wards because of this bug. I`m dreading the coming winter, & I wish that I could get a jab for noro along with my yearly flu vaccination. If you want to contact me, my email address is [email protected]

hiya a support group thing sounds like a really good idea that would probably be particulaly benificial to people out there who dont have the luxury of actually having someone to articulate with over how bad their phobia is, i live in the south of england southampton, which is a bit of a streach from london, but I think it would be a good experiance. Only downside is that i have onl just turned 15 and still havnt told my parents about the extent of my phobia, and i doubt you would want a 15 year old in the network, but if you wouldnt mind i would am really interested. If you wish to contact me my email is [email protected] thankyou

Thank you both for taking the time to reply. I'll make the arrangements and get in contact soon.

Hairyfairy: Thanks for making contact, I'll be in touch. Really sympathise with your worries, and its easy (with this phobia) to be extra vigilant to 'norovirus areas' and the like. This craving for jabs or vaccinations hits on the kind of thing that has helped me begin to come to terms with my fears, so I'm glad you mentioned it. I came to realise that often, it felt as though, "if only I had a vaccination and a 100% guarantee of not vomiting, then I would have no problem". Therefore, in our heads, the solution is to FIND these guarantees (which of course, we know is not possible, and so we spend our lives in fear or feeling depressed, because of our lack of control over the issue). Part of the problem (I believe) is that rather than hunting the deer, we are instead aimlessly chasing rabbits; and in an effort to gain some kind of control over our issues, we end up avoiding what we should be cravings: a changed mindset.

Sorry I rambled there, I'll email you, and get to know your thoughts on that!!

Taryynx: I understand your position, and its not that we would have a problem with including someone your age in our discussions (I'm sure all would have something to contribute); however, it may be a little tricky given that you aren't yet of an adult age, and (as you've mentioned) your parents are not entirley on board as of yet.
    However, I'm sure none of us would want to isolate you entirley, so some inclusion online will likely be fine.

To anyone else: I'm aware that I may have (unintentionally) limited the people who might respond, to the London area alone. Would still love to hear from people across the country or beyond. This will likely be an online support platform. So please get in touch, you can private message me if you prefer.

Peace!

That sounds like a really good idea, i don't live in London, but don't live that far away as I am in Bedford uk.

This sounds like a good idea, I am based in Swindon

I'm in SE London. I'm mid-30's and about to have my second baby so may not be around much over the coming months, but a support group is a good idea and I'd be interested...

I compleatly understand I would be more than happy with ny involvment in group discussions, only if that is permitted by you obviously, i know age can be an issue
    I wish you all the best of luck with the group in the future!

im from the south east of london.. about an hour away north of london in hertfordshire.. im 28 this month oct.. id be intrested but im moving to derby soon.. i wish i could meet up in persons with emet..

Hi, I'm interested, even though I'm not in England, but Australia I've lived in the UK for short periods, worked in the UK, and I have travelled to the UK many times. I have relatives in the UK - does that count probably not? Anyhow, I've always thought I'd love to meet up with emets anywhere in the world, next time I happen to be travelling. Vice versa - if you're ever in Australia - let me know! I'm in Melbourne Australia. Why not find some emets to talk to locally I hear you cry - well - I don't think there are many Aussies on this site, a few maybe

Hi I'm very interested in this! Been suffering serverly from this phobia for about 11 years now (and I'm only 21) it has become most servere the past 2 years. Its so good to know your not alone!

I am very interested! I live in east of england! Im 22 and this phobia has truely suffocated me and my life. I have lost out on oppatunitys i would like to think the 'old me' would of. Id travel to anywere in the uk to a support group and i believe knowing you have people you can talk to who understand will be a good starting point for us all! Xx

Hi I'm living in Essex and would be very interested! Sadly won't let me post my email address though! X

Thank you all for your interests.
    I'm having a couple of issues with this forum not allowing me to PM or post my contact email (apparently because I have not spammed enough threads hehe).
    In the mean time, hold tight; I have already written our first group email (woo!), I just want to make sure I'm including everyone with it.
    I'm gonna make a few comments on a few threads in this forum to boost my number to 10 posts, then i'll send out some pms so those of you who have not given an email.

Speak very soon to all of you.

I'm West Yorkshire! My email is lucy-riley @ live.co.uk