Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default OT need advice on my dog

I live with my boyfriend and we bought an 8 month year old pug for him a few months ago. I don't know what kind of life Logan (the pug) had before we got him but he is afraid of Everything, and i mean EVERYTHING. When he's scared his tail goes between his legs and sometimes he crouches down and flattens himself on the ground. He does this when a loud noise comes on the tv, when a car goes by, anything you name it. one time my bf left his baseball cap on the floor and Logan freaked out and wouldn't go near it and kept barking at it. Anyway my problem is, we don't hit him but when we reach down to pick him up or pet him he gets scared and crouches down and pees. If he is excited and jumps up on you he pees all over your legs. This is disgusting and I don't know what to do about it he pees all over my clothes and carpet and furniture and the bed and everything and I'm over it. I have friends over And they make me put him Up in his crate and they tell me my house stinks. He is house broken and never goes in the house except when he's scared or excited. What the hell am I supposed do at this point he's so cute and sweet but I can't stand having him in the house.

Default Re: OT need advice on my dog

Sounds like the poor thing was sheltered and beat but he is young so he can be trained! I had a siberian husky who would get scared or excited and pee. We had to teach her that was bad and to go outside to pee only.

For the smell, depending on if it's carpet or wood or tile would determine the best method for cleaning. Incense will virtually get rid of any smelly air so light one before friends come over for a quick fix. Training is not easy nor fast but worth it.
    Tumblr :
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook :
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube :

~No matter where life takes me, find me with a smile.
    ~

Some people on this forum really know quite a lot about dogs, so hopefully we'll hear from one of them soon. This dog has been abused or poorly socialized in his previous life, probably the only downside to adopting a shelter dog is that you have no idea what evil people might have done to it. The symptom you're seeing is called submissive urination, but I'm not so sure how to cure it. If I remember right you also have a husky, how do the two dogs do together?

I don't want to believe he was abused becaus I bought him from a pug breeder who had literally 64 pugs running around a huge house but I don't know what it was like so maybe he was. And yes I have a husky too and they love each other they play and sleep together even when Lacey (the husky) is in her cage Logan lays outside of it. He never gets scared of Lacey, he only pees when humans interact with him, but we treat him well and hold him so it makes me sad when he gets scared but I'm tired of him peeing all over me and my furniture. I don't think he knows when he does it because my bf smacked him and told him no when he did it but he just got scared and peed more.

One of my dogs had this issue. What we did was stay as calm as possible and let him come to you instead if you picking him up. Never talk in a high pitch squeaky voice because that excites them even more. Also, has he been fixed? For some dogs that will fix it right away. You can get rescue remedy for dogs and put four drops on his nose or in his water before a exciting/ stressful event like people coming over. And lastly they usually grow out of it. My puppy stopped when she was around a year. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_ View Post
    ...a pug breeder who had literally 64 pugs running around a huge house
    64 pugs in one house is unacceptable, no matter how huge it is. There is no way that each of those dogs could receive the attention and care they need, especially as puppies. I wouldn't really consider a person who has pets in that condition a breeder. It may be (or may not be) the reason for your pug's nervous and excited behavior. With that much competition for playtime with a person or for the amount of food he wanted he probably grew up with a very specific mindset. He's probably just so excited that he's getting one on one attention that he piddles. He doesn't realize it's a bad thing. Likewise, his cowering seems submissive, which he probably had to be at some point with that many pups around.

I would get in touch with a trainer to be honest. They are so much better at understanding doggie language than we are alone. Keep in mind that dog training is paying a trainer to teach you just as much as teaching your dog. You'll find it super helpful, and she'll have tricks that we wouldn't even think of!

I'm just a groomer, so I am by no means an expert on this. I know there is a vet or two on here, so perhaps they can chime in as well!

Good luck with your pup!

OH! As far as getting the smell out, keep Nature's Miracle brand cleaner on hand. Use it immediately, before using other products. Some cleaning products that aren't made for animal urine actually set the stain and the smell in, making it damn near impossible to remove. If you start off with Nature's Miracle you'll be set.

You may find these links helpful!

Thank you asianeko, and puppydog, is birthday is in October so he is almost a year old. And we just got him fixed about three days ago and he didn't pee from excitement or fear at all and I was like thank god but then today he started doing it again and I was like I'm done ha ha

Definate anxiety in the poor thing. I have a lot of tips to help you, but it will be a long post. (I volunteer with an animal shelter)

First, as for the cringing when you go to touch him. Best way to break him of this habit is to move hand down in front of him and let him come to you, then pet him. Another way is to lay on the floor and let him come to you, and slowly move your hand towards him. It will take a while but continually doing this, he will shy away less and less, but it will take time.

For noises... best way to work with him is get a hand of doggie treats he likes, and sit on the floor with him. Have someone ring the doorbell or drop something on the floor, as soon as they do it, call to him and give hm a treat. Using distraction will help him to learn not to fear noises. If you don't want to use the treats, you can hold him, and when someone makes a noise, tell him it is ok, pet him, and soothe him.

Peeing when excited... this is difficult to stop simply because they get so excited they cant hold their bladder. Since he knows he has to go outside, it isnt that he doesnt know. He just cant simply hold it. Best way to keep urine off the leg is for when someone greets him, they should get down to his level so he doesnt jump up.

These are just a few things you can do, there are many more, but like I said, this would be a long post.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_ View Post
    I don't want to believe he was abused becaus I bought him from a pug breeder who had literally 64 pugs running around a huge house but I don't know what it was like so maybe he was. And yes I have a husky too and they love each other they play and sleep together even when Lacey (the husky) is in her cage Logan lays outside of it. He never gets scared of Lacey, he only pees when humans interact with him, but we treat him well and hold him so it makes me sad when he gets scared but I'm tired of him peeing all over me and my furniture. I don't think he knows when he does it because my bf smacked him and told him no when he did it but he just got scared and peed more.
    Never smack a dog...EVER. Your BF smacked him, so now he is going to think about that when his hand goes toward him.

Thanks Twinmom so much for the advice and I'm definitely open to any more advice you have I don't care how long the post is as long as you don't mind writing it I will try those things.