Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Fear vs Phobia?

Default Fear vs Phobia?

Ok so one thing i've noticed is that alot of people don't seem to know the difference between a fear and a phobia. The amount of times friends have said to me 'Everybody is scared of somthing'. They may as well be say 'Just get over it'. I don't know if anybody else has noticed this but it's something that really annoys me!
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to end, it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Default Re: Fear vs Phobia?

I have noticed, even on this website some people seem to have a fear of vomiting but not a full-blown phobia.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Read my Emetophobia FAQ to learn the difference. http://emetophobia.byethost15.com/emetophobia.html
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Trust me i know the difference! What i mean is other people who don't understand how hard a phobia is to deal with!
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to end, it's about learning to dance in the rain"

i completely agree, my friends always say that exact thing "everyone is scared of something" but im more than scared, i wash my hands before i touch anything, i always hate getting on the bus or anything and always wash my hands straight away after, and if any of my friends feels sick i always worry about me getting sick too so i have to try and avoid them, its really awful

I think there are 3 catagories "dont like" I dont like frogs but I will walk along a canal or river bank. "Fear" I am genuinely scared of loud noises so I avoid football stadia and concerts (as well as groups of children). And "phobia" I would cut my arm off (under stated) rather than v*. But the one key thing is all 3 are based on anxiety at different levels, however the undertone is simple "harmless" anxiety (I`m not cured by any stretch but I am feeling positive about my future).

Anyone that doesn't have a phobia wont understand how controlling it is!!!
    ON THE DARKEST SIDE OF THE SUN

Okay, this might be a bit late of a reply I should've seen this last night because I was explaining it to my friend!
    It really pisses me off when people don't understand! So many people say to me, I used to have that but I just realised if it's gonna happen it's gonna happen. How the frigg can they do that! If it's a real phobia then that's soo difficult to do

Phobias are all consuming and unless you really have one or know someone with one I don't think people understand. Like not alone said so perfectly, we would rather cut an arm off than v*! I used to feel that the only circumstance in life that would cause me to contemplate suicide was the flu! How sad is that?! But one of the things I hate most about my phobia is how selfish it makes me feel. I don't ask how a coworker is feeling because I care, I ask because I'm terrified. I won't see my sisters kids if they're ill. I'm always in self protect mode and worried about me. I hate that, idk how to stop!

The only person i have ever know that fully understands me is my friend and coworker who has a severe phobia of all bugs. She understands me and i understand her. It is really frustrating when ppl say "omg me too ! I cry anytime i have to get sick" i think to my self ...ya right if only! So yes i do feel a lot of ppl do not understand phobia and fear. Its understandable tho bc not everyone suffers from phobias. I think i want to dissociate myself from the word phobia tho because i am working to get better now and i want to tell myself its just fear. I am determined to get past this.

There is a massive difference between fear and phobia and if you do have a phobia,its very easy to tell apart
    I myself have a FEAR of needles,but i would face a needle if i had to,say if i really wanted another ear piercing or a medical injection
    But obviously,I have a phobia of v* ,I sometimes panic if i feel nauseated and used to take aspirin/paracetomol all the time in school,Now I'm 18 and working in a office,my hygiene is immaculate and i carry hand sanitizer and avoid those with bugs that have v* as a symptom,I hate alcohol and would happily put off pregnancy,That is a phobia

It obvious,a fear is something you can face,where as a phobia is a very concerning mental anxiety related to trauma.