Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tonight's News May Be Triggering... Beiber Sick During Show

Hey guys! I just wanted to warn you that your news shows may be showing some gross footage tonight. Apparently Justin Beiber was sick a few times during his show last night. I know Good Morning America had it on this morning, and I'm sure other entertainment news sources will put it on tonight and perhaps tomorrow. Just giving you all a heads up so you aren't surprised with it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: Tonight's News May Be Triggering... Beiber Sick During Show

I saw the video, and I actually think it is a good thing for us emets. I am not saying you should watch it (wasn't a big deal, he leaned over, got sick, ran off stage, then came back 5 mins later) But, I think it helps to show up emets something. He got sick in FRONT OF THOUSANDS, and came back on and finished his concert. Noone at the show left, people didn't freak out... it just happened, he cleaned up, and continued on. It didn't stop him from performing, and nothing bad happened. It was just a small,, mild disruption for a few seconds

I saw the video, and at first I hardly had a reaction. It is pretty amazing that he did it in front of so many people. I know that with my emet I have so much self control and fear whenever I'm feeling sick. Now, a few minutes post viewing, I feel anxious. Please keep in mind that the video is very triggering.

My husband watched it I wouldnt. Kinda upsets me that they made it national news that must have been so embarrassing for him! I would have died. Poor kid.

Hope he's feeling better. My husband gave the dancers credit they never broke their routine lol.

You don't need to watch the video to see how an episode of vomitting in public did not stop someone, nor did it shame him in front of thousands.... He laughed it off then continued with the concert!

No I realize that. Just sayin I didn't watch it.

I give the kid credit having the whole "the show must go on" attitude.

Exactly! I look at it like this. A lot of us fear vomitting in public.. Well, here is someone who did and nothing bad happened. His fans didnt freak out, or stop liking him, nada!

I just read this in Huffington Post. Saw no video yet but only a pic. Seems like Asianeko beat me to it though! LeftOfTwilight it's very normal for you to feel some anxiety. It's as if you believe subconsciously perhaps that this could happen to anyone at any time. But that's not true. JB is obviously not afraid of being sick or he would never have done the concert. Who knows what his problem is, but this has happened before apparently. But his problems aren't yours, so there's no need to be afraid.

I like some of the other comments noting that he vomited in front of millions (you gotta bet its on YouTube!) and then came back and finished the concert. He asked fans if they still loved him and....of course they do!

never forget that President George HW Bush (Sr.) vomited on the Japanese ambassador at a state dinner! (google it is you don't believe me!)
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

i remember seeing a video in my highschool history class of George HW Bush V*ing at that dinner or whatever it was....i couldnt see it happening as i was kind of far from the tv, but it still made me think huh, it happens to everyone! Even the Commandor in Chief!

Also went and watched video to see if i could without freaking...it was a news clip they kept showing two angles of it over and over again, but it was blurred out luckily. And they were talking to i guess his manager on the phone over the video and he said the night before they were hanging out with another guy who had a SV* for 3 days prior to that night and they were all sharing a plate of nachos and thinks he got sick from the other guy. But who knows...maybe he just ate something bad :/
    Last edited by arora; 10-01-2012 at 12:32 PM.

I thought i would be able to deal with the video but i watched it and now wish i hadn't :/
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to end, it's about learning to dance in the rain"

I forced myself to watch it over and over and now I am worried I am going to catch it- How crazy am I- I know thats stupid- but its what this ridiculous fear does to me

Ahh so this is what everyone is talking about. I cannot bring myself to watch videos yet so I will steer clear of the linkage. I don't fear I will catch anything from watching videos, however, seeing people vomit causes my heart to go a mile a minute and I feel a very intense urge to gag. I must to suppress the urge to do so when this happens but I cannot always avoid it unfortunately. Needless to say, it's not pleasant does anyone else have this problem? I too give him credit regardless of how disgusting it is.
    I wanna feel the change consume me,
    Feel the outside turning in.
    I wanna feel the metamorphosis and
    Cleansing I've endured within
    My shadow

Disclaimer: **I try and answer posts to the best of my knowledge but unfortunately, I am not a medical professional so take my advice/recommendations with a grain of salt.

This is proof that sometimes it just happens, at the worst time in the worst place, but life goes on, it's not the end of the world, nobody hates you, it always stops, and you might even find something funny about it. I watched the video and couldn't stop laughing because the dancers didn't miss a step! lol The show must go on just as life must go on if and when it happens.

I think that`s totally disgusting, I mean for him to go on stage drunk, & carry on performing as if nothing had happened, why didn`t he get of stage if he felt ill, or try to hold it down like we do. If I was him right now I`d be feeling suicidal because I couldn`t bear to be seen by thousands of people in such a state. Another thing that I can`t figure out is why nobody freaked out, & if I was a Justin bieber fan, I caertainly wouldn`t be one anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by hairyfairy View Post
    I think that`s totally disgusting, I mean for him to go on stage drunk, & carry on performing as if nothing had happened, why didn`t he get of stage if he felt ill, or try to hold it down like we do. If I was him right now I`d be feeling suicidal because I couldn`t bear to be seen by thousands of people in such a state. Another thing that I can`t figure out is why nobody freaked out, & if I was a Justin bieber fan, I caertainly wouldn`t be one anymore!
    Dude, he went onstage because he didn't want to disappoint his fans. I can't stand the guy, I think his music is complete crap, but as a performer, I give him HUGE props for having the integrity to put how he was feeling aside to give to his fans. It's NOT his fault he got sick, so why should people stop being his fan because he got sick on stage? And some people just can't hold it down. It's nice for you that you can, but maybe he didn't realise he was about to vomit. Non-emets sometimes don't pay as much attention to their stomachs and so it can take some people by surprise. And I haven't seen any talk of it being because he was drunk. He himself said that he had drunk too much milk, but I don't think it happened because he was drunk.

Out_of_order - ME TOO! That was awesome, not a foot wrong from the dancers, thats why this video makes me laugh too

The video is pretty graphic, but I think I got some benefit from it because I saw that he vomited, He went offstage for a while, came back and even though he still wasn't well, he finished his show. It's not the end of the world, people still like him, he's still got his fans, and he even joked about it on twitter. It's not a big deal!
    Come visit my history blog:

Yeah i saw that in the news yesterday. I clicked on the news link and it automatically prompted the video of him getting sick (great). Fortunately, it was taken from a distance with poor resolution, so it wasn't too graphic. But still.... props to Bieber for "joking" about it later on twitter and not seeming too phased by it. If i V*ed in front of thousands of people (or even in front of ANYONE) i would die of humiliation and trauma.
    My YouTube Channel:

My Emet Blog:

Quote Originally Posted by out_of_order View Post
    This is proof that sometimes it just happens, at the worst time in the worst place, but life goes on, it's not the end of the world, nobody hates you, it always stops, and you might even find something funny about it. I watched the video and couldn't stop laughing because the dancers didn't miss a step! lol The show must go on just as life must go on if and when it happens.
    ..agreed. i really wish i could have that mentality one day.
    My YouTube Channel:

My Emet Blog:

I doubt he went out there thinking he would vomit. He probably felt a bit queasy, and then all the dancing and jumping around set it off. I give him props for turning away from people to do it. But, as I stated before, we should all take a lesson from this... he got sick in front of thousands, nothing bad happened, and he continued on with the show. I look at it like this.. The act itself can't be that horrible or traumatic if someone is able to do it then come back 5 mins later and still sing and dance.

I'm pretty shocked that people would be mad at him for getting sick in public?? Huh?? Performing is his job and he couldn't "call out" sick. Getting ill just isn't a big deal for a lot of people..that's the facts. He certainly isn't the first performer that this has happened to and I doubt he will be the last.

He went on TMZ and said he got sick b/c he drank lots of whole milk and ate spaghetti and then danced around. Hopefully he wasnt sick with a SV

Only emets would get mad at someone for being sick.

Getting mad at him - or anyone - for getting sick in public is like getting mad at someone for sneezing. Regardless what emets like to believe, vomit cannot be held in any more than diarrhea can. The reason "we" can hold it in is because our nausea is almost always caused by anxiety and not a true illness. But anyone who's vomited knows that you have little (if any) warning and and so if you happen to be in public - or on stage - there's nothing you can do other than aim it away from others.

Im honestly more of a fan now because of it. It inspired me. Just saying.

I don't think he was drunk...he said he was sick or ate too much. But that's besides the point.

I don't like Justin Bieber's music, but you do have to give him credit for not wanting to disappoint his fans, most of which are pre-teen girls and would probably take the disappointment pretty hard. As others have said, there is something to be learned here: as much as WE dread v*ing, especially in public, and WE hate seeing others doing it in public, other people can do it in public and nobody cares. If anything, they feel sympathy for the sick person and try to help. It is our minds that are messed up, not the general public. Not saying that I am ready to go out v*, but its a good reminder that I think we all need to try and keep in perspective.
    Last edited by spilled_milk; 10-02-2012 at 10:17 PM.
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

I watched the video yesterday. It's a little bit gross,but i can handle watching videos someone vomitting. I don't like his music either,but poor he,and brave for continuing the show.
    "Worrying is a waste of time. It doesn't change anything, it just messes with your mind and steals your happines."

1) How can you assume he was drunk? I highly doubt he was drunk. He seemed fully functional to me, and for him to be "drunk" to the point of vomitting, I don't think he'd be able to perform
    2) Why didn't anyone freak out? Because people don't care like emets care. A question though, if your friend threw up, would you not be their friend anymore? Considering you're wondering why the Biebs still has fans after that. Don't you think that's a bit harsh?

Remember, celebrities are humans too.

Good for him for taking it like a champ. A situation like that is embarressing for anyone I bet. I don't think anyone goes out expecting to get sick. What if he was just really overworked? ate something bad? Heck, he was moving a lot, and jumping. Who knows? It wouldn't be worth killing himself over (in reference for being suicidal after) There's a lot more to life than vomitting, and I'm sorry you feel that way, hairyfairy.

Edit:I just read online that it was because he drank too much milk. Being lactose intolerant, I know how awful milk/dairy can make me feel. and I have gotten ill off a heavy milkshake before. He also put a sense of humor into it by tweeting a picture of him resting after the show and following it quoting the movie Anchorman saying "Milk was a bad choice" GOOD FOR HIM!
    Last edited by JadeNight; 10-03-2012 at 11:57 AM. Reason: news

Wow, he handled that quite well! I would have been freaking. I hope I can learn to be as relaxed about being ill as he did!

I actually watched the video a couple times!
    It did make me a little anxious, but it gave me hope. It made me feel like, if Justin Bieber can do it, then I can!
    I am a huge Justin Bieber fan and this is just another way he is able to make me feel better.

someone said that he isn`t the first performer to v on stage. I honestly can`t remember who, to be honest. & someone else said that you can`t hold in v anymore that you can hold in d*, well, I`ve held in both on many occasions. Maybe I`m just a super control freak where my body is concerned, oh, & I had to giggle when someone called me "dude", because I`m definately not male!

Har Har. That was me and I'm well aware that you're female. I happen to use that to address someone who's said something that either offends me or leaves me completely stunned. I'm not personally aware of any other artist who has vomited onstage, but there have to be some. And just because you might be able to hold in vomit and diarrhoea to a huge degree, it doesn't mean everyone can and it doesn't indicate lack of control or mean that they're a worse person. Vomit is NO indication of one's merit as a person OR as a performer.
    Come visit my history blog:

someone said that he isn`t the first performer to v on stage. I honestly can`t remember who, to be honest. & someone else said that you can`t hold in v anymore that you can hold in d*, well, I`ve held in both on many occasions. Maybe I`m just a super control freak where my body is concerned, oh, & I had to giggle when someone called me "dude", because I`m definately not male!

Not everyone holds in their vomit because really, you shouldn't. There is nothing dangerous about throwing up - it's a reaction the body has to something whether it be norovirus or MILK. But either way, it doesn't make you disgusting. Am I disgusting because I've throw up in the last 10 years? Because I came to a point (a good point) with my emet where I'd rather just get it over with and feel better than go hours and hours fighting it and being so insanely nauseated? I chose the former, but it doesn't make me disgusting

celebrities off the top of my head that I know have vomitted on stage/during something with a lot of people
    --Biebs (obviously)
    --Rhianna
    --Iggy Pop
    --George HW Bush (though not a singer, still the USA's commader in chief in one point) who got sick at a dinner

^ All these people are human, and have not ever mentioned being emetophobic. But they aren't gross.