Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: College

Default College

So today me and my family decided it would propbably be best for me to take some time off college, as i'm just not coping and the fear of catching something is a nightmare! I was just wondering if emet has effected anyone else's education?
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to end, it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Default Re: College

It did mine when I was a sophomore in high school (10th grade). I never felt well enough to stay in school, and if I did, I would leave class in the middle of class having panic attacks. I am now a senior in college. (final year of college) It definitely could effect my education, but I refuse to let it, I run me, emet does not own or run me!!

All that said, if you are really having a very difficult time, maybe you should take some time off, maybe a semester, but don't let this fear own you. I realized that it is not even that difficult to live with the fear, just as soon as you make the decision that it doesn't control you.

Yeah i'm just thinking about taking a week or two off to get myself back on track, obviously i'll try and stay ontop of work! It's impossible for me to deal with at the moment :/
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to end, it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Maybe. Try only one week, are there any holidays coming in UK?
    Tick tock, time is passing and so is your life. Enjoy it while you can.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Since i posted this i spoke to my college and they told me i could take as much time as i need, my teachers will work with me to keep up to date with the work! It gives me a chance to start my therapy properly aswell

My phobia and not eating interfered with school, but I did not take time off as this happened my second to last semester to graduation and I didn't want to get off track to graduate and have to do another semester. In the US, if you take time off they just push you back another semester generally. I also didn't want to let the fear win, and I knew I would feel horrible if I allowed it to make me leave school!

I spoke to my college and got "disability" allowances after getting my therapist to sign a paper. Basically, all of my teachers got a letter saying I was allowed to eat in class (so that I was able to eat if I finally did want to eat something), I was able to leave class without notice periodically for a breather in the hall, I could miss more than the allowed 3 classes (we settled on 5 for each course), I was allowed to be late or leave early within reason, and I could have a 24 hour extension on assignments except for major tests. It was actually very helpful, and allowed me to finish my semester!

I see you've already made the decision to take time off, so I don't know if the above is helpful. However, it might be helpful for when you return, as you could set up a similar plan with your college to help you get through the rest of the year on time.

Good luck and feel better!
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

My Phobia has ruined my whole education to be quite frank. I was bullied a lot,and hated school in general. School buses made me nauseous. I used to take a Litre bottle of juice with dissolvable paracetamol. I had no idea why,i was terrified and blames it on claustrophobia,which i have a tiny pit of because i panic in confined spaces.
    Anyway,I had so many days off that the minister for attendance had to have a meeting with me.
    Then we reach college,i would get ill quite a bit,but like i wanted to go to college,but my emeteophobia was still there i said i didn't drink and this meant less of my friends would ask me to come.
    Then when i started my job a while ago,I noticed I've turned into something of. Mysophobiac washing my hands repeatedly and carrying hand sanitizer in the winter because all i hear about is friends posting "Don't feel well,been sick" And i panic,and avoid that person until not contagious
    But the one thing i noticed,us emetophobiacs are very robust when we are ill so unlikely to spew because our minds tell us no. To me my phobia has kind of ruined my education and social life

My tip to you,carry medication like aspirin or paracetamol,it calms your mind knowing you have them,and take a hand sanitizer.
    And learn from my mistakes.

Don't panic

Take as much time as you need. I pushed myself way too hard to continue with my university education and I completely burned out and I'm now taking a lot more time off than I would have liked. If your college is willing to work with you, take as much time as you can
    Come visit my history blog:

I think with emets, not only did it interfere with education, it has interferred with careers, relationships, families, friends, etc.etc. So, you are not alone! I am glad to hear the University is willing to work with you!

It hasn't interfered much with school, just that sometimes when I am exposed to a sv I will get into such a panic during the 72 hours wait to be in the clear that I will not be able to study or do homework. The lack of sleep due to stress is also a bit of a problem, but so far I haven't really had to miss school for extended periods of time due to emet (mostly cause I feel too guilty missing school for that). In spite of all that, and being afraid when someone at school says they feel sick, I managed to do pretty well in school. If you're diligent about doing your work at home when you take time off, it shouldn't be a problem. I missed a lot of classes for other reasons though (hypothyroid, couldn't muster the energy necessary to get to class) but I still managed to finish my undergrad and I just started my master's this fall. So relax, and I'll sure you'll be fine if you study at home and your teachers are accommodating.

Hey,

I know exactly what your going through, I found it very challenging during year 10 and 11 but I had to go to school to pass my exams, now I'm in college I have picked up some tips on how to deal with the phobia whilst in college, some days are really hard though. I hope it's getting a bit easier for you. Please feel free to message me for advice on how to cope a bit better at college or with the phobia in general or for some reassurance. x

It forced me to quit college (or at least for a year) and i could never go into any classes at school. I still passed my exams weirdly! College put way too much pressure on me and I kind of burned out. I got quite ill and ironically ended up on anti emetics!