Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Scared of flying - Does medication work...please help!!

Hi everyone,

Basically my fear is of other people being ill, not myself. I've suffered since I was around 6 years old (I'm now 24). It makes me scared in a lot of different situations but the worst is planes and coaches. I can easily avoid coaches - I either drive or take the train (the train is slightly better because I feel it would be easier to move seats or move away from someone being sick).

My problem however is that in a few weeks I am flying from London to Miami (around 10 hours). I have been to America before and I have flown within Europe quite a lot but I absolutely hate it, I end up in such a panic.

I've decided this time to go to the doctors and get some medication to help but I'm worried about two things:

1. Will the medication last long enough for 10 hours
    2. Will my brain try and work against the medication and cancel out their effects

I have heard a lot about diazapam and if I was going on a shorter flight I wouldn't really be questioning it's effectiveness but can anyone tell me what they have done for medication on long flights?

I am also going to look into the relaxation methods but I did that last time and it didn't really work which is why I am wanting to try medication this time

Thank you for any help you can give

Default Re: Scared of flying - Does medication work...please help!!

1. It depends on the medication. The one I take lasts six ours. When time's up, you take another (if you need).
    2. No, haha. You'll feel sleepy, I bet you'll sleep. Sleeping is the best thing to do in a plane, time flies!

My medication is called Dramin here - If I'm not mistaken, it's called Dramamine. The official name is dimenhydrinate.

Good luck!
    Tick tock, time is passing and so is your life. Enjoy it while you can.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I used to take diazepam for flying as when I'd not really flown, I was so nervous about it. Now I've flown loads of times and am not bothered in the slightest. Diazepam will definitely help chill you out and calm your anxiety. The effects probably won't last a full 10 hours but once they start wearing off you could take some more as long as your doctor is happy to prescribe them.

I have the same problem- I am terrified I am going to be sitting near someone who gets sick. You can take any kind of anxiety medication or even try tylenol PM for a longer flight- Hopefully it will put you to sleep. Even ask for some wine- it may help you take the edge off

Ask your doctor to prescribe the patch. http://www.transdermscop.com/ (Transderm Scop). It is amazing. You put it behind your ear the night before and don't take it off until 3 days after your flight. It will work the entire time and it's great! I've even had it prescribed to use during surgery so the anesthesia doesn't make me sick. It won't make you feel drowsy either.