Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Post New Member in need of some advice

Hi there!
    I suffered really badly with Emetophobia from the ages of 10 to 17, at my worst I would not leave my house or eat for up to a week. I couldn't fly without being sedated and a car trip of more than half an hour would send me into a tail spin. Eventually with the aid of Zoloft I managed to not so much get over my fear, but push it far far back in my mind and live a normal sucessful life. I'm now 21 and had a 24hr S.V creep up on me on Friday night, I was obviously very anxious and distressed that night and the next day. I slowly eased myself back into eating on Sunday and everything has been pretty okay until dinner last night (Tuesday). I ate half my meal and then promptly began panicking and couldn't eat anymore.

I know I no longer have the S.V it's long gone. I don't like panicking, I don't want to be afraid of food and eating I don't want to be a slave to this again. Does anyone have any tips to help me rationalize?

Default Re: New Member in need of some advice

Hello!
    I'm sorry you had the tummy bug. Congratulations for getting through it!

I understand your fear of food. I used to think that if I didn't eat, I wouldn't be sick. Unfortunately, that isn't always the case. If you are to be sick,
    you can be sick with or without food in your stomach. I've often heard that it is more unpleasant without food.

I make sure to keep eating foods I know will keep me healthy. I've added more fruits and vegitables into my diet and have felt the effects. I feel so much better and
    much less anxious. Eating doesn't feel so bad when you know you are boosting your immune system! (S.V. prevention at its finest!)

So, bottom line. Food is your friend. Well, healthy food is! Eat well and you will be well. I hope something I said helped, even if just a little. You can beat this!

Default Re: New Member in need of some advice

Welcome to the sight! We are all here for you on here And congrats on getting through the SV* I'm absolutly terrified for when i get it.

As for eating i used to have a lot of trouble with that and i almsot ended up in the hospital. All you can do is try your best but try and breathe deeply while you're eating and think of food as a good thing. Think of it going down and into your tummy and giving your body lots of fuel and vitamens so that you can stay healthy! Visualization is very important. Also if you have trouble eating solid foods i recommend ensure. best of luck and PM me if u need anything! xo
    !!