Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Needing some info from those who have been sick and remember it

Hey there as some of you may know I am currently on the road to recovery and trying my best. One of my biggest barriers is that I do not know what the feeling of being sick actually feels like and I think if I could get as many detailed and explanatory accounts it would help me on my journey. For those that do not mind and if you have been sick recently or remember it can you please describe it to me? If ppl are uncomfortable posting here for the protection of others pls msg me. My one questions is this, does vomiting feel like gagging at all? Thank you so much in advance.

Default Re: Needing some info from those who have been sick and remember it

I'll post how it feels for me in detail, but I'm going to make the text white so others don't have to see it unless they choose to.

Just highlight below to read. CAUTION: EXTREMELY GRAPHIC!
    Last time I vomited it was from a bad reaction to Tamiflu. I was nauseated, my stomach churning. It was similar to the feeling you get when you are about to have urgent diarrhea, the churning and almost boiling in the intestines. Instead of being low, however, the feeling was upper, in my stomach area. Not the belly/abdomen, but just under my ribs. It's a very disgusting feeling. I knew I had to stay hydrated since I had influenza A, but I didn't want to drink anything. My stomach felt that gross.
    I brought the drink to my lips since I knew I had to, and that instant I felt my stomach lurch. There is this moment of certainty where you know with no doubt that you are going to vomit. It's hard to explain, I just knew it was coming. I ran into the bathroom and vomited into the toilet. It felt like my stomach was turning inside out, similar to the way your stomach feels when you gag but far more intense. Hot liquid shot up my throat, along the top of my mouth, and then past my teeth and open lips. It tasted sour. I heaved three or four times, each time producing less fluid than the last until the final wretch which produced nothing at all.
    I instantly felt better, the churning nausea was gone. My stomach was sore, as though I had worked out a muscle that I hadn't used in quite some time. It was a dull ache. I remember looking into the toilet at what I had vomited, wanted to let the doctor know if anything was in it that shouldn't be. It was black from the iron in my medication. The toilet bowl looks really icky when it's filled with vomit. I flushed it away and it was gone. I wiped my mouth with toilet paper, and then brushed my teeth to get the taste out. I felt so much better, even though I was shaky and nervous it would happen again.

I hope that is what you were looking for. I never expected to post something that in depth about being sick to these forums!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thank you so much that was very helpful to me !Im goin to pm you with some more questions if you dont mind?

I've heard a lot about that sudden "moment of certainty" where you know it's going to happen. Is that a conscious thought? Are you aware that you're having that moment/thought/knowledge before the actual v* happens?

The last time I was sick was when I was 9, so I don't remember very well. The way I remember it is that there was no conscious thought or realization of what was happening, it was more like a switch was flipped that started me moving. I was just wondering if that was the way it always was, or if that was just because I was a child. Or because I'm remembering it wrong.
    emetophobia shmemetophobia! -

Punch - I don't mind at all I don't mind discussing it here either, whichever is easier for you!

Stone - I'd say it's subconscious, but I'm definitely well aware. By the time I have realized that it's for real I'm already halfway to the bathroom, so obviously I've already jumped up and started running. Comparing it to childhood is tough, because the only time I remember vomiting as a young child I know I made it to the toilet. That being said, I assume it's similar to learning that you have to poop. You have that urge, and sometimes you have to go and sometimes you don't. As a kid it's really hard to differentiate. As adults, we know how it feels. Maybe it's something like that?

You may find these links helpful!

My memory of it is that it was like I was being moved by a force that wasn't me. It compelled me to get up and go to the trash can (which was closer than the toilet). I hate thinking about that feeling of being "taken over". But I did have a fever at the time, so maybe that's why I remember the moment as so strange and "out of control".

I wonder if I would recognize the feeling now, if it's something that comes with experience/exposure to it or just from maturing into adulthood.
    emetophobia shmemetophobia! -

My recollection of all the times that I`ve vted is that it`s as if my body was being posessed by an evil force that was completely taking over. That`s the scariest thing about it, the loss of control.

Quote Originally Posted by stoneskipper View Post
    I've heard a lot about that sudden "moment of certainty" where you know it's going to happen. Is that a conscious thought? Are you aware that you're having that moment/thought/knowledge before the actual v* happens?

The last time I was sick was when I was 9, so I don't remember very well. The way I remember it is that there was no conscious thought or realization of what was happening, it was more like a switch was flipped that started me moving. I was just wondering if that was the way it always was, or if that was just because I was a child. Or because I'm remembering it wrong.
    yes there is that moment when you know it's the real deal and there is no stopping it. that's the problem with kids, it's hard for them to tell what nausea feels like. as adults we can at least try to take a anti-nausea pill but sometimes it won't matter.

I remember the last couples times I did, I said right after ... "wow, that really wasn't a big deal at all, why do I fight it?...." Then later on Im all freaked out again. I look at it like this, people with OCD who have to turn lights off and on, they KNOW they shouldnt have to feel compelled to do it, but they do it anyhow.... same thing.

You know i truly feel that if i did it i wouldn't be scared anymore but I'm too scared right now however i am getting better slowly. I keep noticing the reoccurring statement "it really isn't a big deal once it happens" , this leads me to believe and i KNOW ive dramatized and created a far worse image of it in my mind.

You definitely know it's going to happen. It's like someone above said - like knowing you have to poop. You just biologically KNOW.

My experience, when I'm thinking about it with my unanxious mind, is of one that is to be honest, a blooming relief!
    As my recovery from the phobia has progressed, I noticed just how much the 'bad' parts of the experience of vomiting, actually were added on in my mind as time went on after it took place. If speaking honestly and truthfully, without my fears clouding my judgement, i had a nasty belly ache, and I had vomited for a couple of mins, it had entirley gone. I slept like a baby, woke up and had breakfast!

Like Twinmom...last time I did it, I do remember also thinking it wasn't any big deal. I had fought nausea for HOURS after eating something bad. I finally told myself that the next time the urge hit, I was just going to do it and be done with it, so that's what I did. By that point, I had the dry heaves because everything had already passed through my system. I do remember thinking during though, that I should get up and drink some water so I'd have something to bring up. I mean, that's how much it DIDN'T bother me. Then before I knew it, the emet was back. I don't think there's anyone out there who truly enjoys vomiting however, I do think there are people out there that although unpleasant, find it to be no big deal and/or a necessary evil.

Okay this will be graphic so if you don't wanna hear it stop reading NOW.

~When I had a stomach virus, I had the nausea. The nausea kept building, I didn't get a break from it. It was all I could think about. It was so terrible. The nausea was super strong, I kept fighting it. I had dry heaved. My body doubled over during the dry heave. The nausea disappeared for a short few seconds. Then it built up again. It got bad. Another dry heave. So powerful it doubled me over. The nausea persisted. It was so strong. i couldn't focus on anything else. I was standing and pacing back and forth. Not knowing what was going on. I went to the bathroom to splash water on my face. The nausea came on and it was familiar at this point. It was so terrible. I decided I wouldn't hold back. I didn't have the strength to fight it. Out it came. Took just seconds for the actual process. It was yellow liquid. I used mouthwash. And felt great. The next day I had vomited two or three more times. When I got that strong nausea I just let it out and didn't fight it just to get it over with. I would say the body aches were the worst part as I was curled in a ball and couldn't hardly move.

Any other questions, message me.

**END OF GRAPHIC****
    Tumblr :

Facebook :

Youtube :

~No matter where life takes me, find me with a smile.
    ~

Punchbuggy, I'm not very experienced either (thankfully), but let answer what I can from what I remember, although I haven't puked since I was a kid. Gagging is definitely part of it. I don't remember if I gagged immediately before vomiting but I had gagging sensations for a few hours before I vomited if I yawned or opened my mouth too far. Gagging can help set off vomiting, but gagging isn't necessarily part of the vomiting act. I must also have been nauseated (extremely), although I'm not certain because nausea is such a rare thing for me. Last time I was nauseated, 12 years ago, I didn't even realize what it was for hours. I will describe that below.

The main symptom I had leading up to the expulsion of my stomach contents was diarrhea. It wasn't massive or particularly bad diarrhea either. I woke up around 8 AM with the need for diarrhea but it wasn't a large amount. It was more like I had a need to excrete a tiny amount of diarrhea every few minutes for three hours. At the first round of diarrhea, my mom checked my forehead and told me I was going to vomit. I said no, I absolutely didn't want to. I endured the feeling for about three hours. It was like every few minutes, I would go have more diarrhea (just a little bit) and either wait right there for the next wave or go try to do something else. But I didn't feel like doing anything else, not even watching TV. My mom kept urging me to do some vomiting and "get it over with."

A few minutes after 11 AM, when even watching TV was displeasing, I went back to the bathroom even though I didn't have an immediate need for diarrhea, and sat down. I didn't mean to set off vomiting, but I took a couple of deep breaths. Immediately I retched twice. To me they felt just like hiccups. I didn't know I was vomiting until the first little bit of puke flew out of my mouth and hit the floor. I quickly adjusted my head (I was sitting on the toilet, remember) and managed to get the rest into the bowl. My first thought was that it wasn't so bad and that I had been emet for two years for no reason, but by that afternoon my emet was back.

If I knew then what I knew now, I wouldn't have taken those deep breaths.

The last time I was close to puking, 12 years ago, I woke up with very mild diarrhea. It was just a little bit. It didn't even make me late for work. Once at work, I was feeling lethargic but didn't have any more diarrhea. Around 10 AM, I knew something was wrong, but didn't think of a stomach illness. I was just feeling tired and unwilling to move. After two hours of not getting much done at work, I decided to go home. I was decidedly unwell but felt well enough to get a root beer on the way home and still wasn't thinking in terms of nausea or stomach illness. I took a little nap hoping I would feel better. When I woke up, the root beer was still in my stomach. My stomach actually felt heavy. That was the first I realized I had a stomach illness and that my stomach had stopped digesting. Immediately I took my temperature and found that it was quite high. Suddenly I realized that I was as close to vomiting as I had been in 24 years and that I would vomit soon if I didn't do something about it. I immediately took 2 tablespoons of Pepto-Bismol, which as I frequently point out, is good enough at suppressing the vomiting center in the brain that it can counteract a small dose of ipecac. The most important thing I did, unlike the previous time, was avoid any sharp breathing movements that could set off vomiting. I continued to dose with Pepto-Bismol until bedtime, then I took 2 Dramamine. In addition to preventing vomiting from motion sickness, Dramamine can prevent vomiting from regular illness. I was still nauseated when I went to bed, but I woke up fine.

I hope what I've shared with you can help you prevent vomiting yourself sometime.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

I had the exact same experience as MurderMySoul. I just got the sv* in February so its very fresh in my mind. I felt the nausea just building and building and then I got very hot and sweaty and then I sat up in bed and my heart started to race because I knew it was coming,... and then I vomited very violently several times and then immediately felt better. Then 30 minutes later the same process started all over... by that time I was already at the ER because I was 5 1/2 months pregnant and they wanted to monitor the baby. I felt like death. Luckily they hooked me upto an IV and gave me nausea meds. I didn't feel sick or puke again but I did have some d*. Let me tell you if you HATE feeling nauseous and v* and you have good health insurance, just go the to ER and get the meds and within minutes all of the nausea and vomiting usually stops. And what's crazy is that in all three of my pregnancies I never v* from pregnancy related issues. I am usually a pro at holding it in but when you are violently ill it kinda comes out whether you want it to or not.

Well ... I v* last night so it's pretty fresh in my mind.

However, my v* wasn't related to an sv*. I am 17 weeks pregnant. I went about 4-5 weeks in the begining with morning sickness - n* and I v* about 4-5 times within that time frame. It had been about a month since I v* (until last night)

That feeling of "knowing" is hard to explain. I would get really clammy - never noticed the excess saliva thing - and anxious. Last night I remember pacing and trying to regulate my breathing. Finally I went into the bathroom, leaned over the sink and tried to drink some warm water to settle my stomach. When that wasn't helped I remember just giving in and almost forcing myself to heave before I finally brought it up. I heaved/v* 3 times - each time it was less and less and then I was done, all that came up was my greasy dinner from 2 hours prior.

My stomach was calming down. I rinsed my mouth, used mouthwash and went and sat on the couch. Now, at this point my anxiety had kicked in so I sat on the couch in a small panic for about a half hour. Then I started calming down and relaxing.

Thanks for all the responses I really enjoy reading them . Please keep em coming , In a weird way this helps me calm myself and I feel like its helping alongside my therapy. Thank u so much folks

All the replays have made interesting reading, but I often feel like it may happen but it doesn't, I think this makes me panic cause I never know if its for real or all in my mind? When I've v* in the past I've always known it was going to happen but that was before I started with all the panic attacks and anxiety and worry every time I feel sick I may get caught short because I thinks it's anxiety but some day soon it won't be! Sorry for the rambling but this is something that drives me crazy!