Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Frightened

Unhappy Frightened

While my husband and child were in the grocery store, some woman brought in a small child who v*ed all over the store. If it were me, I would have left immediately. He avioded the pair and stayed at least one aisle away the whole time. They did not go where the v* was until it was cleaned up. Fortunately, he didn't buy anything perishable. However, I was so frightened I could not sleep. I had to get up and wash all my food, cabniets and fridge with bleach. My husband and I have autoimmune diseases and my daughter has a stomach issue that caused her to v* for months at a time requiring many hospital trips until we figured out what was wrong. My husband also has gasterial issues that cause him to be sick for months at a time as well. I'm not so scared for myself but I worry constantly about my husband and kids. So many times, I have woken up in the middle of the night to my sick child. It's scary for me to even sleep at night. Now, I will be scared for the next 48 hours for fear they may have caught something from this woman and her child. I am writing a letter to the management, because that is ridiculus.

Do I need to be so worried? Sadly, winter is the best time of year and it is also the sickness season. I want my kids to be able to enjoy being out with other kids and do things, but I fear other mothers like this one (whom I think is very unusual) who without regard to anyone else refuse to even take their child to the bathroom, let alone home to bed where he belongs. I have to admit even reading this forum is very uncomfortable to me. I just want to crawl in a hole and hide all winter.

Default Re: Frightened

Oh my goodness.....how awful!! What kind of mother parades a sick child around a grocery store. That poor child.

Try not to worry too much there could have been any number of reason the child was so unwell...could have been *fp...an allergic reaction, reflux or who knows what else....

I know my fear is probably unfounded. When I was 12, I was with my favorite aunt in the hour before she died and she was v*. Ever since, I have been terrified if people I love v*, they will die. It doesn't matter that she was a very elderly lady and they v* did not kill her - an aneurysm near her heart did. When she started to v*, I ran away. Until just now, I didn't realize how guilty I felt and still feel about how I reacted then. I should have stayed and helped her, but I ran away and cried for a very long time. Rationally, I know that there was nothing I could have done and she was in the hospital and not uncared for. But she was dying and I abandoned her. I still feel really bad about it.

You are quite right, My dd had severe acid reflux and v*ed all the time when she was little. However, instead of taking her out in public, I took her to the ER when she was that ill. Of course, she is not dead and in fact, normally, a very healthy child.

I understand that feeling.....when I was 17 my dad had a massive heart attack and for the first time in my lifetime he v*....his heart stopped and he very nearly died. I'd been angry with my dear dad for 6 years and for a time I thought I was going to lose him. My fear of me v* was always there but until that point I did not fear other v*.... I don't know when that started and I don't know for sure that has anything to do with it....but until that day I had never ever known my dad to be I'll at all.

I have a cousin whom I am very fond of who has decided to forgo conventional medicine and treat her cancer with an alternative therapy that has a 0% percent survival rate over the 5 year period even though the cancer she has is entirely curable with surgery alone. I know her suffering will include a great deal of pain and naturally, a lot of v. I have found it very hard to spend time with cancer patients due to the chemotherapy v and other reasons. I want to spend time with her because I know she won't be here this time next year, but it is very hard for a variety of reasons not just this one.

I am so sorry about your dad. I hope he is taking the steps necessary to improve his health.

Seeing someone you care deeply about v while near death or dying is very tramumatic. I know why I fear v. I just don't know what to do about it. I conquered my fear of heights by forcing myself to go to high places where I was uncomfortable. But I don't know what to do about this. I don't want to get a v cleaning job to get better. Besides, I have cats and kids if cleaning it was going to do it for me, it would have. I don't fear my v that much, but other people's scares me nearly senseless. My daughter v*ed for six months straight (like this child all the time). It was a total nightmare. I dealt with it, but it was hard and I was scared at any time I would freak out and not be able to handle it.

Gosh yeah....that was almost 14 years ago- he actually had an undiagnosed hereditary heart condition so unfortunately his health has declined quite significantly over the last decade - but he keeps on keeping on!

My grandpa lived over thirty years after his first heart attack. I think the first 15 years were pretty bad, but after that he got a lot of his old vigor back and was very active for his remaining years. I hope your dad has the same experience.

Unfortunately not the case with my dad....he has a heart condition and diabetes, he now needs bypass surgery to repair something that won't heal from his last heart operation, he has a blood clot and just general ill health. It quite often kills me to live so far away from him - but I know he would be so angry if I went back for him.

That is absolutely disgusting and inconsiderate. Personally, if your that sick or are in the company of a child who is that sick, remove yourself or them pronto! Accidents happen I admit, even though it feels like the end of the world, but seriously - around the whole store? What a joke.
    Anyway, I hope your okay now. I can see why you would be extremely worried but there isn't much you can do except precautions - hygiene and such.
    One product which is fabulous for prevention and treatment is colloidal silver. Not a widely recognised product but I used it when I felt like I had a sv* and it worked amazingly! I even used it for when I got a bad virus similar to glandular fever that had be debilitated for nearly a month and it did wonders for my recovery. The brand I use is Suttons Solutions its Australian, but silver is recognised worldwide as an anti-bacterial/viral remedy. Go to a chemist and ask about it - it will help with boosting immunity in general, but I'm not sure if it should be an all-the-time thing. Just when your feeling icky.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinetic View Post
    That is absolutely disgusting and inconsiderate. Personally, if your that sick or are in the company of a child who is that sick, remove yourself or them pronto! Accidents happen I admit, even though it feels like the end of the world, but seriously - around the whole store? What a joke.
    Anyway, I hope your okay now. I can see why you would be extremely worried but there isn't much you can do except precautions - hygiene and such.
    One product which is fabulous for prevention and treatment is colloidal silver. Not a widely recognised product but I used it when I felt like I had a sv* and it worked amazingly! I even used it for when I got a bad virus similar to glandular fever that had be debilitated for nearly a month and it did wonders for my recovery. The brand I use is Suttons Solutions its Australian, but silver is recognised worldwide as an anti-bacterial/viral remedy. Go to a chemist and ask about it - it will help with boosting immunity in general, but I'm not sure if it should be an all-the-time thing. Just when your feeling icky.

How do you know that it was around the whole store? I have a feeling that was an exaggeration. Perhaps the kids choked on something, it made him gag, and he puked. Perhaps he coughed til he puked, perhaps it was an allergy. You can't know this, unless you personally know the child. My girlfriend has a son wth severe reflux, and without warning, he will vomit. It has gotten better as he has grown, but for a while, the child was sick 5 - 6 times a day. I am sure it had happened in public, but what else could she do? Lock her and her kid away til he grew out of it? Especially since it wasnt anything contagious.. All I am saying is that you don't know why the child was sick, and it probably wasn't even something contagious if the parent just kept on shopping with him (because they are prob used to it happening)

He vomited four times including in the fresh meats, produce, breads and frozen foods while his mother berated him in the space of less than an hour. This was not a giant Walmart. It was a small grocery store with vary narrow aisles. Plus they were German where they have so many sick people it has been on the news here in the US almost everyday. I am reasonably sure they were visiting foriegn military, because it was in a military commisary on a base with at least a couple hundred foreign military officers in training here year round. Fortunately, my dh was only getting dry goods. Thank goodness, my family did not come down with anything.

I hope the surgery goes well for your dad, Loop-Star. It sounds like he is pretty bad off. My grandpa didn't have all that going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace47 View Post
    He vomited four times including in the fresh meats, produce, breads and frozen foods while his mother berated him in the space of less than an hour. This was not a giant Walmart. It was a small grocery store with vary narrow aisles. Plus they were German where they have so many sick people it has been on the news here in the US almost everyday. I am reasonably sure they were visiting foriegn military, because it was in a military commisary on a base with at least a couple hundred foreign military officers in training here year round. Fortunately, my dh was only getting dry goods. Thank goodness, my family did not come down with anything.

I hope the surgery goes well for your dad, Loop-Star. It sounds like he is pretty bad off. My grandpa didn't have all that going on.

Ok, with that additional info, I can agree that it is indeed disgusting and inconsiderate. I feel bad for the poor child.... he obviously wasn't well and yet his mother kept berating him? How horrible!

I am so glad I didn't see it. I understand more German than my dh does. It's so cruel to yell at a little kid for being sick. He can't help it.

At any rate, I washed all my food and cabniets with bleach and I won't be buying produce or meat there anytime soon, in case there was some splatter. I thought all those kids in Germany had *fp because it was only school age kids and their teachers. This kid was kindergarten or 1st grade age.

Thank goodness she didn't take that child anywhere near the canned goods and the allergy free foods!

Yeah, sorry for my exaggeration before without the info but this definately confirmed what I envisioned! I hope all is well now.

Yes, everything is fine except I didn't take my medication exactly perfect and now I am feeling sick. Ugh! These meds really help me, but one small misstep and I get sick from them! And when I am nervous, I make mistakes. I thought if I took them 1/2 hour after eating, it would be good enough. No, it really is - take with food. Sigh.

It will pass, have some peppermint tea to help with n*

It's not n*. I'm just really stressed out to the point of almost shaking all the time. I am making myself sick. I really just need to stop wigging out, but it's like a runaway train. I see my shrink on Monday. I think I need my meds adjusted. I've also bit off more than I can chew as far as activites are concerned and I don't see a way of cutting back. If I even think about the things that are stressing me out, I get d*. So I need to just quit. I've been a bit of a mess since I found out my cousin is choosing to have terminal cancer. Melanoma in the early stages is entirely curable. But she's not just going to have it removed. It's pretty good sized now. She's just going to juice and take e*s and die. We are close in age. We have kids the same age. She's my only cousin who really understands what it's like to be disabled at a young age. The last time I saw her, I took photos of her so I'd have pictures of her before she gets too sick. I'm always on the verge of crying. I just don't understand. I want her to live - not take some weird home remedy that causes v* and d* and die. I need some new meds which will help me break this thought pattern, so I'm not in constant panic mode. I cannot get out of this thought loop. This has happened to me before and it never goes well.

I just want to shake her and say "Stop it with the juicing and the fasting and e*s. You're already a skeleton. Just get it removed. Get the skin graft and live. You have a little girl. You have a husband and grandkids and lots of people who love you. Why don't you want to live as much as I want you to live?!" I've had skin cancer before. They just cut it out and you're done. It doesn't have to be like this. I talked to her brother. I said, can't you talk her out of this? Can't you talk sense into her? But he already tried. He tried to talk her into using sun screen or wearing a long sleeved shirt if she was outside in full sun. If she didn't listen to her own dad and her brother, she's not going to listen to me either.

What if she v* and dies right in front of me like my aunt did? What if I panic and I don't do anything? I took first aid and advanced first aid. I was a first aid and cpr instructor in the military (not as my main job) just so I could handle these things, but I don't know if I can. Maybe I should just visit her when her husband is there, because he's a paramedic. I feel like I should just call 911 before I visit her, so I'll be prepared.

Well, I am crying, but I don't have d* anymore. Talking about it does help, but my family is tired of hearing about it. My husband says, you know she's got her mind made up. You know she's not going to listen to you. You just have to let it go. Even my shrink says not to even try to talk to her into getting conventional treatment even though it would cure her (if it's not already too late which it might be according to my doctor), because she would just get mad and stop speaking to me. He says I need to let it go, too. But it's just so hard and I don't understand. Thanks for listening.

That poor little boy getting shouted at by his mother I feel he will grow up to be phobic if that's how he is treated! Also, the poor other customers - bodily fluids have no place in a food shop...ugh. But I do feel your family will be okay.

It's so incredibly sad about your cousin. Are you sure that the melanoma was at a stage where surgery could cure it entirely? It seems so odd of her to take the decision to reject such a simple cure. I can understand people not being able to face radiotherapy or chemotherapy but a simple operation would be over so quickly. I really don't think your cousin would follow the pattern of v*ing and dying in front of you though. If you'd rather someone else was there with you and her when you visit her, I think that is a totally sensible thing to do (bring someone else along) if it will make you less anxious. She doesn't have to know why they are there xxx

how old was the kid? young kids spit up all the time with no warning. its possible the mother thought that it was one of those episodes and continued shopping not knowing that it might happen again? this is kinda a gross story but i was at walmart once and a baby started spitting up all over the floor with the biggest smile on his face! he obviously was not feeling sick at all cuz he was smiling and his mom didnt even notice. it wasnt until my boss went up to her with a kleenex that the mother noticed. its very possible that it was something like that

He was somewhere between 5 and 7. He was not a baby. He was a kindergarter or a 1st grader.

My cousin didn't tell anyone about the cancer until recently. It now entirely covers one of her shoulders and is creeping under her arm. I tried to talk to her about having it removed early on, before I knew it was already so large. Apparently, it looks like a giant spider. It is simple to remove without chemo or radiation when it is small. I have had several small skin cancers removed and it was no big deal, but I never let one go that far. As I understand it, the cancer will get into her vital organs and that's when it will kill her. I believe she is treating her cancer with the Gerson method due to her religious beliefs. She also has thyroid cancer, but that is a mere drop in the pan compared to the other. I would not be surprised if the cancer gets into her lungs. Two of our uncles and our grandfather died from lung cancer.

I won't visit her alone. I have no idea how to care for a cancer patient that isn't under a doctor's care. In fact, I never met anyone even with terminal cancer who didn't go to the doctor for it. I have talked to my doctor and my shrink about it. There is nothing anyone can do if she refuses to get help.
    Last edited by Grace47; 10-16-2012 at 12:36 PM. Reason: grammar correction