Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default So scared..... sorry it's long :(

Hello all, I'm new to this site. I've suffered with emetophobia since I can remember but it has got a lot worse in the past few years. I'm 33 now. My 3 year old daughter started pre school a few weeks ago and I have just felt so anxious like I'm literally waiting for her to catch a bug. I've got myself into such a deep depression, I feel like I will never get out of it. To make it a million times worse, my daughter has started being sick this afternoon. I don't know what to do. My husband is brilliant and will look after her as much as he can but all I can think about is when (not if) I'm going to come down with it. And it breaks my heart because she wants me to cuddle her but I'm too scared to go near her (although I helped clean her up earlier so I would have caught it then if I was going to catch it).

I'm now sitting in a room on my own, a nervous wreck.

I've booked myself in for some hypnotherpy/counselling starting next week, but does anyone have any other tips to help me feel less anxious until then?

And please pray for me that I don't catch it

Default Re: So scared..... sorry it's long :(

Hello, I know exactly how you are feeling, I also have a 3 year old in preschool and she has been sick a couple of times. If it makes you feel any better, in the 4 times she has V* I have never caught it. Keep washing your hands!! don't touch your face, and don't kiss him/her (I know that sounds weird, but my husband always kisses my daughter when she is sick and he usually catches it.) My daughter has been in school for about a year and a half and she has only had a stomach virus 2 times since she has been there. It was tough for me when it happened but we got through it as a family. My husband knows how I am and he is also very supportive. You will be okay I promise. Just take walks, deep breaths, long showers, and do your best to remind yourself that you will get through it.

Best of luck to you Keep Smiling.

Quote Originally Posted by allie11 View Post
    Hello, I know exactly how you are feeling, I also have a 3 year old in preschool and she has been sick a couple of times. If it makes you feel any better, in the 4 times she has V* I have never caught it. Keep washing your hands!! don't touch your face, and don't kiss him/her (I know that sounds weird, but my husband always kisses my daughter when she is sick and he usually catches it.) My daughter has been in school for about a year and a half and she has only had a stomach virus 2 times since she has been there. It was tough for me when it happened but we got through it as a family. My husband knows how I am and he is also very supportive. You will be okay I promise. Just take walks, deep breaths, long showers, and do your best to remind yourself that you will get through it.

Best of luck to you Keep Smiling.
    great post. i too am always in some type of fear because my 8 year old is in school. hasn't been to bad until tonight, shes very tired and not wanting to eat alot, bloodshot eyes. not sure what it is but of course my mind is telling me tonight's the night she gets sick. my rational side tells me shes just over tired but my emet side is on alert.

Thank you both, it's just good to know that I'm not the only person who feels this way and haven't gone completely mad! Of course, anyone who doesn't suffer with this has absolutely no idea how we feel so its hard to talk to them about it.

Well my daughter hasn't been sick for over 12 hours so hoping its out of her system. Now have to tackle the feeling of dread in my stomach! Good luck to you both too

And thanks for the advice too x